Quiet Carry Waypoint?

abbazaba

Gold Member
Just received this Vanax blade today... It's a little more of a gentleman's carry than I anticipated, but very impressive overall. Quality is very high all around, and the hollow grind is nice and thin behind the edge. The wire clip is the same size as the Dragonfly/Lil Native, but the legs are shorter so you will need to cut them if you want to put a black Lil Native clip on it. Everything about this knife screams quality, with maybe the only exception being the liner lock vs frame lock (lock up is great regardless). I'm really hoping they make a larger version with a frame lock.

Anyone else picking this one up? Here are a couple comparison pics:

zVWh2PH.jpg

D1A8eL0.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty nice. I really want their small LC200n fixed blade. A co worker has one and my gosh its a good looking little clip point. Thanks for the pics and feedback.

Looks pretty good to me. I didn’t know it existed, kinda wish I didn’t. The wire clip, steel, blade length, simple design and the like all seem like a winner to me. Thanks for posting, man.

I'd been interested in a general EDC knife that would likely be used for lunch prep more than anything else. Ease of cleaning was high on the list. I'm also appreciate that it isn't a flipper, as I find them harder to open slowly when the situation calls for it. The Spydiechef was the obvious option but I'm not a huge fan of its blade shape. Its a little too specialized for me. I'd been going back and forth on it for a while when I stumbled across this knife. I've been watching Quiet Carry since the IQ release. Loved the look of it, but it was too close to the MBK EZC.

The Waypoint ticks all the boxes for me. Rust resistant, ergonomics that look more inline with my preferences, good usable-blade to blade-length ratio, understated appearance, thumb studs, thin blade stock and hollow grind, gimping on in the right place, wire clip... I couldn't pass it up. I have one on the way.

Just received this Vanax blade today... It's a little more of a gentleman's carry than I anticipated, but very impressive overall. Quality is very high all around, and the hollow grind is nice and thin behind the edge. The wire clip is the same size as the Dragonfly/Lil Native, but the legs are shorter so you will need to cut them if you want to put a black Lil Native clip on it. Everything about this knife screams quality, with maybe the only exception being the liner lock vs frame lock (lock up is great regardless). I'm really hoping they make a larger version with a frame lock.

Anyone else picking this one up? Here are a couple comparison pics:

zVWh2PH.jpg

D1A8eL0.jpg

I just uploaded a YouTube video with comparisons (see Bio). I'm very impressed with quality, Vanax 37, ...
I bought the SWSW and I'm curious about how the black coated models hold up since I'm so impressed I might buy another one.
Anyone have the Drift? Interested in the deployment "Spydiehole" usability.
I also heard the IQ had some hot spots. If they resolve that issue - take my money.
I have the Spyderco Salt and was looking at the Spydiechef for an EDC but ended up with the Waypoint.

I'd been interested in a general EDC knife that would likely be used for lunch prep more than anything else. Ease of cleaning was high on the list. I'm also appreciate that it isn't a flipper, as I find them harder to open slowly when the situation calls for it. The Spydiechef was the obvious option but I'm not a huge fan of its blade shape. Its a little too specialized for me. I'd been going back and forth on it for a while when I stumbled across this knife. I've been watching Quiet Carry since the IQ release. Loved the look of it, but it was too close to the MBK EZC.

The Waypoint ticks all the boxes for me. Rust resistant, ergonomics that look more inline with my preferences, good usable-blade to blade-length ratio, understated appearance, thumb studs, thin blade stock and hollow grind, gimping on in the right place, wire clip... I couldn't pass it up. I have one on the way.

You'll love it. My only regret is that I live in California and had to pay crazy state taxes since they do business in Cost Mesa :)
Would love to hear what you think about it after some EDC time.

Hey Abbazaba, which finish is that? I just ordered the BB which is satin blade and handle. Looking forward to this one.

I got one about a week ago. Great knife. It already got me to eliminate a few folders from the collection.

Last edited:
Here’s one. Had to change the thumbstud for personal taste. Also adjusted the detent to make it roll under my thumb with a more natural feeling. Out if the box the knife had a lot of momentum to fling open.

cfOlhNQ.jpg
Interested to hear how you removed thumb studs and which ones you used as replacements.
Also any tips on the detent adjustment that would save some time on dis/reassembly would be helpfull.
Mahalo!

With respect to the Sebenza comparison, the thinner blade stock gets in the way. The Waypoints is 0.09 and the small and large Sebenzas are 0.118 and 0.13 respectively. It might not seem like much, but the Waypoint blade feels more delicate.

It's been perfect for my daily needs but a consideration for those who have heavier tasks.

Interested to hear how you removed thumb studs and which ones you used as replacements.
Also any tips on the detent adjustment that would save some time on dis/reassembly would be helpfull.
Mahalo!
I went to remove the thumbstud by holding each stud with a solid pair of pliers with good teeth. When I twisted, one stud literally snapped almost as if there was a weak weld at joint.. I hadn’t seen that before. For thumbstud replacement- I always keep a handful of thumbstuds from Steven Kelly (SKknives). Great selection of titanium studs and reasonably priced. When looking at detent I always look at the detent ball first to see if it could be seated deeper. Mine was at a good looking depth so I looked at the detent hole. The hole didn’t look chamfered. So I used a diamond coated burr from a Dremel set. I put the speed on one (lowest setting)and ever so slightly grazed the part of the hole where it meets the detent path. Depending on the shape of the burr you should adjust the angle at which you direct the bit into the hole. The goal is not creating some wide angle, just lessening the resistance the detent ball has to overcome when I open it. You could do this by hand with jeweler files but I have steady hands and a feel for what I’m doing. After every single attempt I reassemble and see how much the action has changed, then try again if needed. This is crucial to prevent yourself from ruining a fine knife as It’s easy to remove too much. I purposely chose an old/used burr that wouldn’t remove material fast and the slowest speed to minimize material removal. I was using the dremel geared for arts and crafts, it can be held like a pencil and provides great stability for doing such task requiring fine-movements. Just remember less is more in these situations then I imagine you’ll be fine. Sorry if this was wordy. It is a great knife and worth tweaking for personal use as I can tell this one is a keeper for me.

With respect to the Sebenza comparison, the thinner blade stock gets in the way. The Waypoints is 0.09 and the small and large Sebenzas are 0.118 and 0.13 respectively. It might not seem like much, but the Waypoint blade feels more delicate.

It's been perfect for my daily needs but a consideration for those who have heavier tasks.

There is no doubt that the Waypoint is an excellent slicer due to its thin blade. I would like one, but the closed length of 4.22" is just a bit short to work in my large hand. I cannot hang onto the small Sebbie either; I always choose the larger model 21.

Back