R.I.P Dr. Richard Stein

horseclover

Basic Member

Gone too soon and a whisper in the wind (12/10). Stein has been sharing information with me since 1997, both through his site, rec.knives and later SFI. Finding him here has always been a treat to read. His site most directly influenced my Japanese interests, right back to my first years of too much time online in 1997. Although, cuff modems were making life fun a decade earlier, download times waited for quicker dial-ups. Somehow I went medieval instead but Japanese sword interests really go back to the 1950s for me.

This caught me unawares, as having read from him quite recently. Always as gentleman, I raise a glass Huzzah!!

Cheers
GC

~nobody gets out alive~

Last edited:

Gone too soon and a whisper in the wind (12/10). Stein has been sharing information with me since 1997, both through his site, rec.knives and later SFI. Finding him here has always been a treat to read. His site most directly influenced my Japanese interests, right back to my first years of too much time online in 1997. Although, cuff modems were making life fun a decade earlier, download times waited for quicker dial-ups. Somehow I went medieval instead but Japanese sword interests really go back to the 1950s for me.

This caught me unawares, as having read from him quite recently. Always as gentleman, I raise a glass Huzzah!!

Cheers
GC

~nobody gets out alive~
Darn it. He wouldn't have a clue who I am, but I have certainly benefited many times from his knowledge over the years. Oddly I got into swords back around that same time, for me it was 1998. At the time it was katana which led inevitably to the Japanese sword index.

Thanks for everything Dr. Stein.

Rich was a scholar and a gentleman in every sense of the word. Knew him since the early 80's and always enjoyed speaking with him about Nihonto, Puuka, and Bowies. He had some great Bowie knives before he sold them. He was known and will be missed by many.

Back