• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Radius Grinder Platen, MAIN SALE

Payment Sent!
I hear you Chuck. I was happy to get a 48" and would've missed out without my phone.
I look forward to seeing a knife or two that you do with your 72"....

Nathan, just an idea, but have you ever thought of making matching sanding blocks for your radius platens? Maybe out of aluminum or micarta since they wouldn't need to be hardened. I hand sand all of my blades, (mainly because i just can't get an even belt finish but i keep trying) and a block with the correct radius would be nice to have. I'll end up making one out of oak or something to finish the blade I'm working on now. Anyway, just a thought.

randy

Nathan, just an idea, but have you ever thought of making matching sanding blocks for your radius platens? Maybe out of aluminum or micarta since they wouldn't need to be hardened. I hand sand all of my blades, (mainly because i just can't get an even belt finish but i keep trying) and a block with the correct radius would be nice to have. I'll end up making one out of oak or something to finish the blade I'm working on now. Anyway, just a thought.

randy

Yes, actually. I didn't think of it, but it was suggested and is on my list of things to build. I have some 2" thick canvas phenolic here that I plan to use for this.

I'm also considering a hardened steel flat platen with multiple air perforations to allow "air bearing" grinding on a regular flat platen.

I checked this last night and seem to have missed out again :mad: I will get one one of these days...

Most folks have paid.
These started shipping today.
I have a few late orders I still need to process.

Thanks,
Nathan

Got mine in the mail today... Nathan, these are Beautiful, thank you!

Everybody here has paid. Everything has shipped. :thumbup:

Got mine also, I have got it up and running yet but it is extremely well built can't wait to try it

I told Nathan this already as it is one of the scant few things that he hadn't already thought of to do with his own devices. these curved platens appear to be pretty useful for grinding in curved clips and the swedges. For the swedges, you have to rock the blade a bit to get nice flat surfaces, but it works considerable better than trying to freehand with a flat platen. contact wheels or files. I have done a smaller stock removal blade from start to finish with a 36 curved platen and then a flat platen and cleaned up the swedges on a forged blade that was already tapered, etc and had the swedges done the old way using the 72 incher with great effect. Now wishing I had bought the 48 too. LOL. The 72 looks like it will work very well on large bowies and fighter where a more subtle curve is called for.

Back