Ralph Bone and Bowen Throwing Knives

Hello,

I have a couple throwing knives that I've had sitting in a box, and only recently became interested in finding out more about them, primarily for the purpose of selling them. Unfortunately I can't find any information out on the net about past sales or auctions.

The first is a Ralph Bone Throwing Knife (N 443) with a total length of 7.5" and a blade length of 3.75"

M76yoQOl.jpg

kfvf7KWl.jpg

o06GnqBl.jpg

dObWeizl.jpg

PFTC3gcl.jpg

cSJydHel.jpg

kwqErxxl.jpg

rDDENDDl.jpg

The second is a knife that's just marked as A Bowen Knife, Atlanta USA - total length of 11.75" and a blade length of 5.75"

VmaCm4Wl.jpg

KbDwgrEl.jpg

KKE8fgGl.jpg

yLcRpiml.jpg

I did some research on Ralph Bone and I'm particularly interested in finding out about them!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing a lot of guys do not know is that a lot of the older makers knew nothing about throwing knives. That Bone knife I bet, is actually a boot knife. All of those that I have seen are boot knives. Just because a knife does not have scales does not nesessarily make it a throwing knife.

Man it should really be in the sign up info "If you're just coming on here to ask what your knife's worth and then ragequit just don't" not reading the rules is a daily thing.

One thing a lot of guys do not know is that a lot of the older makers knew nothing about throwing knives. That Bone knife I bet, is actually a boot knife. All of those that I have seen are boot knives. Just because a knife does not have scales does not nesessarily make it a throwing knife.

Boy howdy, Bobby.

These are clearly in belt sheaths, and that STILL doesn't mean they weren't created as boot knives.

Too bad, the OP could have gotten an appropriate membership level, learned a bunch about his knives, and gained the ability to sell them here on BFC.

Following the rules has its benefits. I may have bought those pieces from him, but oh well.

I think the Bowen was designed as a throwing knife. Lots of makers today make boot knives that are not designed to be carried in a boot. The one pic of the Bone look to have a live edge, but I would be more interested in seeing them up close.

You know, he could've probably found out everything he needed to know to place a reasonable price on it himself. Oh well, I'm sure he'll find someone willing to take advantage of him on a Facebook site, :rolleyes:

Bowen knife company made a lot of belt buckle knives in the 80's.
I've never seen one of their throwing knives. Bowen is still in business, you may want to email them.

I bought that exact Bowen knife brand new back in the day and it was sold as a throwing knife. Broke the tip off right away. Cool looking but not tough. Maybe that's why they stopped selling them.

The Ralph Bone knife is the Model N "Throwing Knife". There were over 500 - 600 of them made, during the original ownership term of the Ralph Bone Knife Company (1967 - mid 1976). The Throwing Knife, usually, was sold in lots of four in a set, although the knives, also, could be purchased individually. Due to its simple configuration, the Model N Throwing Knife was the most economical custom knife made by the company. I am in process of completing a book about Ralph Bone and his knife making, gun making and engraving career. The book, also, covers the knife making career of Enedino De Leon, who Ralph Bone taught to make knives at the Ralph Bone Knife Company. Hope this helps.

Sac3Gunner figured out how to do photos quite well on his very first post. I've been on here three years and have managed to post a photo like two times. Sac3Gunner must know a lot that I don't even if he doesn't read the rules.

Back