Randall Knife Black Sheath Cost

How much more does it cost to get a black sheath for a Model 12 Smithsonian? The online catalog says these is an added cost, but doesn't say what it is. I have never owned a black sheath, but I kinda like their looks.
Larry

Truthfully, I tried that but they were closed, so I figured I could find out here before Monday. Maybe not so lucky though.

No recent buyers for one of these? I can't figure out why they don't have a cost in the online catalog. They do for all the other options. Any idea why. Thanks.
Larry

No recent buyers for one of these? I can't figure out why they don't have a cost in the online catalog. They do for all the other options. Any idea why. Thanks.
Larry
No idea on your sheath question, but...

I like your dog. Is it a Deutscher Wachtelhund or Muensterlaender?

No idea on your sheath question, but...

I like your dog. Is it a Deutscher Wachtelhund or Muensterlaender?
.55NE, no it is not. It is a Boykin Spaniel, the South Carolina State dog. Boykin Spaniels are known as "the dog that doesn't rock the boat", because of their perfect size. Their smaller size allowed them to fit in very small boats that hunters would paddle through South Carolina swamps. They are yellow eyed retrievers, great for dove and ducks. My avatar is of my first Boykin puppy, "Stormy". She was a wonderful dog.

I had never heard of the 2 breeds you mentioned, but I looked them up. Surprisingly, the Deutscher Wachtelhund does look similar to a Boykin Spaniel, but about half the size and a docked tail. Here is some information:

Last edited:
.55NE, no it is not. It is a Boykin Spaniel, the South Carolina State dog. Boykin Spaniels are known as "the dog that doesn't rock the boat", because of their perfect size. Their smaller size allowed them to fit in very small boats that hunters would paddle through South Carolina swamps. They are yellow eyed retrievers, great for dove and ducks. My avatar is of my first Boykin puppy, "Stormy". She was a wonderful dog.

I had never heard of the 2 breeds you mentioned, but I looked them up. Surprisingly, the Deutscher Wachtelhund does look similar to a Boykin Spaniel, but about half the size and a docked tail. Here is some information:
From the Smithsonian to the Boykin Spaniel; I love it.

boykinlp boykinlp , many thanks for your wonderful introduction to what reads like a mighty fine hunting companion. I just love the history of hunting dogs, and yours is certainly steeped in traditions of the land and its hunting. "The dog that does not rock the boat", how cool is that :thumbsup:

I had never heard of the Boykin Spaniel, but read your wiki link with much appreciation.

Randalls and fine hunting companions... Life is good. Very good.

Regarding your black sheath question, my go to RMK dealer is Gary Clinton of Clinton Knives, he can answer and delivers new RMK's in short order (relatively speaking), at a good price, too.

From the Smithsonian to the Boykin Spaniel; I love it.

boykinlp boykinlp , many thanks for your wonderful introduction to what reads like a mighty fine hunting companion. I just love the history of hunting dogs, and yours is certainly steeped in traditions of the land and its hunting. "The dog that does not rock the boat", how cool is that :thumbsup:

I had never heard of the Boykin Spaniel, but read your wiki link with much appreciation.

Randalls and fine hunting companions... Life is good. Very good.

Regarding your black sheath question, my go to RMK dealer is Gary Clinton of Clinton Knives, he can answer and delivers new RMK's in short order (relatively speaking), at a good price, too.
Thanks very much for your reply. Boykins are fantastic dogs, both as hunting dogs and house dogs. Since I live in South Carolina, I am very familiar with their history. I have had 2, my first one, Stormy, pictured in my avatar lived 14 years, and my second, Marley, lived 17 years. So, they are also longtime companions!šŸ˜€

I was completely surprised when I looked up the Deutscher Wachtelhund breed. I couldn't believe how similar they looked to a Boykin.

Also, thanks so much to etexas for the answer I was hunting.šŸ‘
Larry

On ebay there is a guy making sheaths for Randall and other knives in most colors - here is a black one for a Smithsonian Bowie with a buy it now price of $57. Auction number - 401850039905
his ebay name is sjjp. He is in Minnesota. The sheaths are not as nice as Randall made or Sullivan, Byrd, Johnson, etc., but they are not bad and 1/4 the price of the others. If your knife is a user consider it. I have bought several sheaths for a variety of knives form this guy and they are all pretty nice. I mean how far wrong can you go for $57.

On ebay there is a guy making sheaths for Randall and other knives in most colors - here is a black one for a Smithsonian Bowie with a buy it now price of $57. Auction number - 401850039905
his ebay name is sjjp. He is in Minnesota. The sheaths are not as nice as Randall made or Sullivan, Byrd, Johnson, etc., but they are not bad and 1/4 the price of the others. If your knife is a user consider it. I have bought several sheaths for a variety of knives form this guy and they are all pretty nice. I mean how far wrong can you go for $57.

This. Me too. He has them black and brown.

1657834149626.png

1657834179662.png
1657834250630.png

Back