Randall Knives as an investment

Always wanted one and now I've been offered a collection of 12 for, what seems like a reasonable price. Anyone have any thoughts on the Randall market. My initial reaction to the offer was based on the last time I seriously looked at buying a Randall 5 years ago. Prices seem to have dropped or is that just my perception?
Thanks in advance for any opinion.

I’d base value on what it would cost to have the knives made today at the factory. Who knows what the market will do in the future. But they will always be worth what the factory charges. So they will go up each year with the price increase.

Edit to add::

A name etch takes away from the value as does use.

Where my system goes out the window is on six or more option knives because these can’t be ordered today. At least you can figure out what it would cost if it could be done. Up to you if you want to pay a premium.

Last edited:
I’d base value on what it would cost to have the knives made today at the factory. Who knows what the market will do in the future. But they will always be worth what the factory charges. So they will go up each year with the price increase.
Thanks eveled. I think that is a good way of looking at it, at least for today. I will use the catalog price rather then the aftermarket price as a point of reference in my negotiations this morning. Wish me luck & mods can close this thread as I have the info I sought Thanks much

Their backorder time keeps increasing, it was 12-18 months 6-years ago and today it’s 5 1/2 years for direct factory orders according to the RMK invoice for the #28 Woodsman I ordered from Gary at the factory on 2/5/19 and the prices inch up every 12-18 months too...

Because of the backorder time I order 2 of the same model each time, pick out the better of the two and sell the other for a small profit reducing the cost of the one I keep. Doing this exact exercise with Clinton Knives right now, ordering two #26’s and two #16 SP1’s , all with options, Clinton is quoting 11-month lead times currently but I’ve heard it is shorter than this sometimes.

So ‘as an investment’ is it a good buy? Depends on many factors, but for true investment grade knives I think, and I’m betting, that Randall Made Knives are one of the best new knives you can buy. I option them to my liking and to make them a little different, I’m also in it for the long haul, I won’t sell what I keep for 15-20 years. I also invest some money in guns, typically not new guns, but the few new ones I buy with an investment strategy are unique models, a Browning 1895 Low Wall (new Miroku reproduction) in .22 Hornet, a Kimber of Oregon M84 high grade in .222 Rem., an engraved SxS shotgun in an upland gauge (.410, 28 or 16) from Connecticut Shotgun...If you’re going to ‘invest’ in new things, make them unique new things, not just another new thing that there are hundreds or thousands of the same one, if this is your plan it’s a much longer plan because you have to wait for them to become a rare example of a once common product.

Investments can take many paths, both short and long term, your home will probably be the best investment you make over a lifetime. While they are a necessary tool for sound retirement planning, retirement savings plans are boring, and that broker never leaves you alone (good ones shouldn’t leave you alone...), I put some of my long term savings into tangible items that will appreciate over time and in items I can enjoy over that time, I’ve been fortunate that my investment eye has been keen for the most part, there were duds though, but they are recognized and culled, even at a loss sometimes (still holding-on to a couple with eternal hope :p), that’s just part of the game...Don’t play if you can’t mentally relinquish the losses, it’ll keep you awake at night and that’s not a good thing...

Last edited:
I would say this,…as long as the current generations buying knives are alive, Randall’s are a superb investment. The problem is, the potential future generations of knife buyers- Gen Y, Z, Millennials are not interested in collecting anything. Look at the antique/glass market. One cannot give that stuff away right now.

my take is that Older ones, Probably before 1980 will always have some collector value. They had "charm"
There are only so many floating around in collections.

But why would one today be worth anything more than a knife?

if you buy a wrench from Home Depot, is it a good investment selling it 50 years later?

Own them (knives/Randal's/etc.) because you love them..... not because of what they Might be worth someday?

crag the brewer,....

you do not understand Randall knives....I ordered one today...I plan on using and abusing it. I also know my family will sell it for more than I paid for it.,..

Last edited:
I would say this,…as long as the current generations buying knives are alive, Randall’s are a superb investment. The problem is, the potential future generations of knife buyers- Gen Y, Z, Millennials are not interested in collecting anything. Look at the antique/glass market. One cannot give that stuff away right now.
I would disagree. Antique glass may have lost its niche, but things like Pyrex and antique Cast Iron are hugely popular among people under the age of 35 and the current prices reflect that. Also, the antique American made tool market is up. Knives are tools which makes collecting them dual purpose. I think randals are and remain popular due to their use by special forces in Vietnam. I don't see their popularity or collectability going anywhere any time soon.

I hope you are right, BennyBlade.

I would hate to see everyone buying cheap Chinese throw-away stuff. Interestingly, I just spent some time at a popular cutlery dealer in the midwest- Rivers Edge Cutlery. They have a new, bright, beautiful showroom. Lot's of folders from $20 to $1000...very few fixed blade knives. Sadly, I think the interest with fixed blades is moving toward collectors,...

crag the brewer,....

you do not understand Randall knives....I ordered one today...I plan on using and abusing it. I also know my family will sell it for more than I paid for it.,..
I Love handmade knives, it's all I try to buy today.... I get it. I like the way Randall's look too. I like them.
We just have different definitions of the word investment..

I can not predict the future, in fact I would say I have at least a 90% future forecast failure rate.

I purchased my first Randall, a #1 in 1978, since then have a couple of Model 14's, a trout and bird, and the diving knife. Used to go by the shop and pick up knives that were ordered, but never paid for. Quality on Randall knives was variable, I want even bevels, a straight edge, and not all knives were that way. I don't know how they are doing now. I think Randall goes through periods.

The older stainless knives were 440A or 440B, but I know they were not 440C, because one of the Randall sons told me the metal. Randall was slow on adopting the latest steels, might be due to forging. Randall was very proud of their forging of blades from billets, and I don't know how well the latest and greatest steels forge.

At the time, Randall knives were thicker, stouter, than commercial knives. The handles were longer, actually made to fit a human hand. Most knife handles fit human proportionality biases. That is, a knife with a small blade looks odd with a long handle. So you get these small blade knives with two or three finger handles, because customers shun a knife that looks odd. Similar issue with big blades. The bigger the blade, the bigger then handle. Some big knife handles are the width of ham hocks!

As much as the trout and bird was an advanced design for its time, its wedge blade does not slice well. A Randall blade is very wedgie as this is a distinguishing characteristic of Randall knives.

I am surprised the same basic models continue to sell, as the commercial market has gone way beyond the dismal decades of the 60's, 70's, 80's, and even into the mid 90's. Today there are so many factory outstanding designs, with outstanding steels , that cost a lot less than a Randall. And you can have them delivered now. Also, the thin "Solingen Steel", "Surgical Steel" knives of the past have been replaced with more robust models, so you don't have to order a custom knife to have a strong knife.

A Green Beret friend of mine, said that during the early 1960's "every Infantry Officer had a Randall." I don't think this is true anymore, and at the PX there is a good selection of well built, well made, "throw away" knives at reasonable prices. A Randall would be a very expensive knife to lose, and you are not in control of your personal safety in a war zone. You get blowed up, not everything of yours gets tossed on the stretcher, and you lose equipment. A bud of mine wrote back to his unit in Afganistan, seeking the return of his favorite Aladdin Stanley thermos. It had been run over by a MRAP, lost its handle, dropped several hundred feet, and yet the vacuum was still good and he treasured it as it was as beat up as himself. One IED later, he was on the medevac helocopter, and then to Europe, but his thermos was still in Afganistan.

Heck if I know what the future is for Randall. I don't know if the average buyer is like the average Harley buyer, some old Boomer spending their money on Kennedy era administration memories. Markets change, I don't know how this one will change.

Don't buy one because you want to make money on it, buy it because you want one. That way, if the market turns, you still have something you value.

I can not predict the future, in fact I would say I have at least a 90% future forecast failure rate.

I purchased my first Randall, a #1 in 1978, since then have a couple of Model 14's, a trout and bird, and the diving knife. Used to go by the shop and pick up knives that were ordered, but never paid for. Quality on Randall knives was variable, I want even bevels, a straight edge, and not all knives were that way. I don't know how they are doing now. I think Randall goes through periods.

The older stainless knives were 440A or 440B, but I know they were not 440C, because one of the Randall sons told me the metal. Randall was slow on adopting the latest steels, might be due to forging. Randall was very proud of their forging of blades from billets, and I don't know how well the latest and greatest steels forge.

At the time, Randall knives were thicker, stouter, than commercial knives. The handles were longer, actually made to fit a human hand. Most knife handles fit human proportionality biases. That is, a knife with a small blade looks odd with a long handle. So you get these small blade knives with two or three finger handles, because customers shun a knife that looks odd. Similar issue with big blades. The bigger the blade, the bigger then handle. Some big knife handles are the width of ham hocks!

As much as the trout and bird was an advanced design for its time, its wedge blade does not slice well. A Randall blade is very wedgie as this is a distinguishing characteristic of Randall knives.

I am surprised the same basic models continue to sell, as the commercial market has gone way beyond the dismal decades of the 60's, 70's, 80's, and even into the mid 90's. Today there are so many factory outstanding designs, with outstanding steels , that cost a lot less than a Randall. And you can have them delivered now. Also, the thin "Solingen Steel", "Surgical Steel" knives of the past have been replaced with more robust models, so you don't have to order a custom knife to have a strong knife.

A Green Beret friend of mine, said that during the early 1960's "every Infantry Officer had a Randall." I don't think this is true anymore, and at the PX there is a good selection of well built, well made, "throw away" knives at reasonable prices. A Randall would be a very expensive knife to lose, and you are not in control of your personal safety in a war zone. You get blowed up, not everything of yours gets tossed on the stretcher, and you lose equipment. A bud of mine wrote back to his unit in Afganistan, seeking the return of his favorite Aladdin Stanley thermos. It had been run over by a MRAP, lost its handle, dropped several hundred feet, and yet the vacuum was still good and he treasured it as it was as beat up as himself. One IED later, he was on the medevac helocopter, and then to Europe, but his thermos was still in Afganistan.

Heck if I know what the future is for Randall. I don't know if the average buyer is like the average Harley buyer, some old Boomer spending their money on Kennedy era administration memories. Markets change, I don't know how this one will change.

Don't buy one because you want to make money on it, buy it because you want one. That way, if the market turns, you still have something you value.
This!!!
Very well said.

I carried a Randall Made knife in the Marine Corps in the 1980's (I just chewed dirt as a grunt) and again for over three decades on the streets as a LEO. My son took his Randall Made knife to Afghanistan, a Combat Medic...and he was at a heavily attacked COP in Khowst province for a year.

I will say this, prices for Randall Made knives on fleabay are through the roof. People are asking several hundred dollars more than the knives are worth; even at a retail mark up. On facebook you can find buy-sell-trade groups where the knives being sold are making a circuit from one person, to another; and even back again. The prices keep inching up.

I buy the Randall Made knives I like, and enjoy. However, I do hope they at least maintain their value. It helps to know the market, as it exists, today. It makes sense to at least be cognizant of the market at it evolves, though.

Yes, there are other knives. It is a choice what one carries.

Last edited:
A Randall made knife, provided it isn't abused will always hold its value, and quite possibly increase in value. You will always at least get your money back on it.

Back