Randall Lore #007 Spacers tell the age of your Randall

Often at a knife show, when someone asks me how old their Randall is, they will see me consult a small pocket size book, that I carry to the shows. I consult a small list, of spacer configurations, that good friend and fellow Randall knife collector, Michael Johnson, gave me several years ago.

Please understand, these dates are only approximations and these dates are to be taken as a range of dates. Many of you might say, "I know better. I bought a knife with that spacer arrangement in 19xx." Well, add two to five years and see if your knife falls into the slot. Remember, approximations. There are some dates for Randalls that are exact and documented, but they are few. Also understand that some of the ranges below will overlap as they should with approximations.

Another important point to remember. These dates (until about 1969) are for handles other than leather, such as stag, ivory, wood and micarta. For leather handled Randalls these dates do not hold true until about 1969. Around 1969 the spacer arrangement became somewhat standardized for all Randall knives.

Late 1930's and early 1940's knives may have any thickness, number, combination and kind of spacers.

7 spacers all wide. 1940's (These knives are rare)

7 spacers, 5 thick, 2 thin. Mid/Late 1940's to early 1970's

Items below are for all Randall handles including leather.

5 spacers, 3 thick and 2 thin. 1969 to 1976. ** Important. These knives have a bright red, red spacer and the center spacer looks a greenish color in sunlight.

Gray center spacer (5 spacers total). 1977 to 1984/85.

Thick center spacer (5 total spacers). Late 1970's to mid 1980's

Around 1985 the spacer arrangement we are familiar with on todays Randalls came into being.

Best regards,

Rhett Stidham

Back