Randall Made "KIT" knives

hiker45acp

Gold Member
Anyone know anything about the early Randall Made Kit knives? I have one from the early 60's, a model 7, but do not know what it is worth. (see photos) It obviously has been put together, Micarta two piece grips, brass guard and butt, carbon steel blade of 1/8" stock. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_6944.jpg
    IMG_6944.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6960.jpg
    IMG_6960.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 69
hiker

This won't be alot of help, but Kit knives were offered by RMK from about the mid 1960's to about the mid 1970's. The first blades sold had a K etched on them. Then the word KIT(like your knife) was stamped on the Blade.

My guess is, that sheath is not from RMK. Lastly, I bid on a kit knife on Ebay a few months ago. It was the blade only, IIR. I think it went for about $600 USD.
I would also say, that how your knife was/is assembled, ie) fit and finish, would be a factor in the price.

The unassembled ones are actually worth more than the ones that have been assembled, mostly because there are fewer of them, but also because a lot of people did a pretty amateurish job of putting them together. Still, it's a Randall. That alone makes it worth more than most knives of its day.

Rod,
Thanks for the info, I keep finding out more and more all the time. I believe the sheath was also part of the kit, only because it is modeled after or looks like the model 7 sheath, only with the stone pocket. It has the stone also and I am trying to see if it matchs the early stones (this one is light gray) of that era. The sheath also looks to be a kit sheath, whether it came with it or not I don't know, but research will have to be done. I am also going to try to check out the snaps to see if they match the early snaps used. I just ordered the book; Randall Knives: A Reference Book, by Sheldon Wickersham.
This book is supposed to have a reference history, time line etc. of Randall knives, variations etc.. I am hoping it will shed more light on it. The fit or whom ever built it, did a fairly good job. Everything looks tight and even. Seems to have been carried a bit too by the wear on both the brass guard, butt and leather sheath. This is half the fun in getting something like this is researching it. Thanks again.
Wayne

Last edited:
Samael,
Thanks for your input also. Yes, I would think the unfinished kits would be worth more too being more collectible as a Randall item of an early era that has not been messed with yet. Thanks,
Wayne

Wayne

Is there a stamp or any markings on the back of the sheath?

Stones: until the late 1960's the stones were two part grey. From the early 60's to '66, the stones had Norton with text in white. About '66 to '69 the writing was yellow. Those stones were followed by Bear Brand SP 13 stones until the mid 70's. As well around 1975 (plus or minus a year or two) there were solid grey unmarked stones. I know there were white AG Russell stones around the late 60's, but I don't know the dates.
Snaps: There were Brown Button snaps up to 1963, when nickel Baby dot snaps came on the scene until mid 90's.
Sheaths: Maurice Johnson was the RMK sheath maker from 1961 until 1982 or 3. Can't read my own notes!!!

Sheldon's book will help you. If you post a few more pictures, I think some of the learned forumites might be able to help.

I think most RMK collectors will agree that the dates are a rough guide. I have heard of a Separate S marked blade (supposedly produced 1967-72) showing up in the 80's from the shop.

Soooooo going through my stuff I've come upon an "unfinished" Randall kit knife from many years ago. Anyone have any thoughts on this garage find?

Back