Randall Miniature Knives

Meerkat4848

Gold Member
Could someone please take the time to educate me on a topic I am very much interested in: Randall Mini's

I would like to know the following:

How many were made and in what quantities and what year(s) they were made?

Regarding the mini 18's - How many were produced and what years? I have seen some knurled handles and some smooth handles. Which came first. I have seen some with brass hilts and end caps and silver hilts and silver end caps.

I have scoured the internet and can't seem to find too much info. ANY and ALL info on the mini's would be appreciated.

I understand there are some fakes out there. Anyone have any pictures of those?

Thanks!

Well, I'm no expert but the mini model 25's were made in mid to late 1990's. I think between 96-98. They made 1500 and they are valued by collectors.

Here's my Mini 25, serial #1282

And with his big brother

The most recent minis to be made were the Model 27's. they also did 14's and others but someone else will have to chime in because I've exhausted my limited knowledge.

Wow beautiful knives! Thank you for the pictures.

This is the limited information I have gathered thus far:

Model 25 1996 - ? 1500 made
Model 1 1998 - ? 1500 made
Model 3 2002 - ? 1500 made
Model 14 2004 - ? 3000 made
RKS5 2004 1500 made
Model 27 2012

Model 18?????
Model 2?????

Any others?

The Model 2, like the Model 12 and 13 seemed to be a "once in a while" produced miniature spanning the mid 60's to the mid 80's.
The Model 18 was made from the early 70's to the late 80's. The total production is estimated at around 300 pieces. They came with Johnson riveted "C" sheaths, non riveted "C" sheaths and modified "B" sheaths. They were stamped or etched, came with small yellow cord or standard green cord, had smooth or knurled handles, straight line or knurled caps, and had variations of tooth size and count. And a small number were all stainless.
I highly recommend Randall Knives- A Reference Book, which I must credit for the above info.

Thank you for that wealth of information. I'm on a quest to collect one representation of each mini. I'm finding this will become a rather expensive endeavor. I find the full sized Randall's to be functional works of art.

Other then Ebay can anyone recommend the best place to find these rare little gems?

Thanks!

I have no information to offer.

Just wanted to say I would absolutely love a mini 18. It would be a great little user.

Thank you for that wealth of information. I'm on a quest to collect one representation of each mini. I'm finding this will become a rather expensive endeavor. I find the full sized Randall's to be functional works of art.

Other then Ebay can anyone recommend the best place to find these rare little gems?

Thanks!

You just have to search purveyor sites frequently. They don't come up for sale very often and when they do, they generally go quickly. I've seen them on Ebay but I have also heard that there are plenty of fakes.

I have read on a few forums that there are indeed some fakes out there. I would love to see some pictures or know what to look for regarding spotting a fake.

Thanks for your kind words TAH. :)

As to photos of Mini 18's - this one, from 1971, is not fake; it lives in my safe, for now...

Mini-18.jpg

I'd strongly suggest staying away from any 'one-off' miniature RMK's; few were made and most are accounted for...

Nice mini 18! Very nice indeed! It seems some of the mini's appreciate more in value then the full sized models they duplicate/replicate.

Did the pouches come with the mini's or were they separate purchases?

Thanks

Back