RANDALL MOD. #1 used most in WWll 7"or8" ?

JDT

I was wondering if someone could tell me which Randall #1 was used the most during WWll, the 7" or the 8" blade?
Also, I read in the Randall Knives brochure that Ronald Reagan bought one Randall and then he ordered 2 more because he liked them so much. This was during WWll.
I'm wondering if someone can tell me what knives former President Reagan bought back when he was a Captain in the ARMY/AIR FORCE?
Is there a good book on Randall's that have stories and articles about the Randall Knives?
Thanks for your time...
JD

My guess would be that the 7" blade was more common than the 8" blade. However, today, a 1-8 from the 40s or 50s in more desirable to collectors, because there were fewer made. I personally like the looks of the 8" blade the best.

Robert Gaddis' book, "RMKs: The History of the Man and the Blades" is available through nordicknives.com. It makes for a good reference book on all the models. This book mentions Reagan's interest in the knives, but I can't remember if it talks about specific models.

Robert Hunt's book, "Randall Fighting Knives In Wartime" is due out in June and should be very informative on fighters from the 40s thru the 60s. More information is available at randallcollector.com.

From my personal collecting I have observed that you see far more 8 inch Model 1's from the World War II era than 7 inches. I called Gary Randall and he confirmed this observation.

I also asked him about todays Model 1 production. He says the Model 1-7" far exceeds the 8 inch Model 1 in current production. 60% Model 1-7", 20% Model 1-8" and 20% Model 1-6". I told him this surprised me for the 60% number being so large. He said that was mainly due to them offering the quick delivery to military personnel only in the 7 inch knives, Model 1 and Model 16 Special Fighter. The Model 14 and 15 are also offered for quick delivery to military personnel.

He also said the Models 25 and 26 are the most popular hunting models. Regards, Rhett Stidham

Back