randall model 19 question

Love some thoughts on this knife. I picked one up about a year ago but it never makes its way into the field with me. I have absolutely loved my Black Jack Trail Guide as a hunting camp knife as it's great around camp and makes quick work of gutting/processing animals. Thought I'd give the Model 19 a try as it's the same basic shape profile. My issue is I'm just not digging the top of the blade sharpened. Cannot imagine trying to gut an animal as the top would cut innards. Would it be sacrilege to sand/smooth the top of the blade? Trying to decide if I should change this profile to make it more usable or just put it up for sale. Would love thoughts. Pictures below for reference (note, stock pictures, not my knives). Thanks!

Randall Model 19

BlackJack Trail Guide

Damn! DO NOT modify that knife! It's worth quite a bit.
If you sold it, you could get a blackjack model 4 or similar,
and have lots of $ left over.

Have you tried going to a place like Hobby Lobby and trying to find some plastic that will slip over the top edge. Glue it down if necessary. I know they used to make something that fit over our drafting templates. Try a shop like that. Glue is much easier to get off than ruining a perfectly good knife. You can even try running a bead of hot glue over the edge. Anything but the grinder. Experiment!! Good luck

If you dull the sharpened swedge on a stone, it will hardly ruin it. How on Earth would it be ruined if it actually becomes MORE useful?

If you want to use it, it's wasted by sitting at home doing nothing. Randalls make really nice users, but everyone is afraid to do it!

Thanks everyone. It's basically been my internal debate. Don't "ruin" a great Randall knife by modifying it to a more usable state for myself thus it just sits in my safe.

Randalls make really nice users, but everyone is afraid to do it!

I guess I'm guilty too. Just can't bring myself to use my Bushmaster. I have no problem using my Blackjack Model 125 though. I wouldn't dull the top edge on the 19 and continue to use the Trail Guide which is a great knife.

I had a Marine Ka-Bar with the front clip point sharpened. I had absolutely no use for it so what i did is take the sharpening stone that you would use to sharpen that knife and run the sharpened clip straight up and down to slowly dull it. If you don't use a lot of preasure and spend enough time, you'l dull it to the point where it isn't dangerous, but it could easily be brought back to a sharpened clip if you gave it some time with a sharpener.

Make a definite decision on what you want to do before you start it. And as always, keep us updated :D

Back