Randall Triathlete

hi, just concluded a deal on this model from fellow forumite Beaver. Do not seem able to find much information on it. From a photo on a different post it looks like if I get a nice IWB kydex sheath made up it'll be right at home tucked away. Any information on this model would be welcome

The Tri-Ath. RMK comes standard with a belt clip sheath made of black leather that can be worn either on the outside of the belt or inside.
We, at Sullivan's, get a lot of requests for special sheaths for this knife. Mostly combination sheaths with it mounted on the front of a larger bladed knife. Also we have just developed a neck sheath for this knife that works very well. We do not produce any type of Kydex sheath so if one is with the knife you bought is will be an after market one made by someone else. Greg

In the second Randall Knife Society newsletter, April 1989, there was the following story. Join the RKS at www.randallknifesociety.com

Shop Talk with Gary:

Gary informed me that a doctor in Florida came to him last year with a request for a skeletal knife since he was going to be making an ultra-marathon run of 51 miles outside of Anchorage, Alaska and needed a light knife for protection. Well Gary showed him what they had in their design files and after deciding what he wanted, he was told he would be notified when they were ready. A couple knives were made and the fellow was notified. He did not reply. So Gary called a friend who is a tri-athlete and sent him a knife on approval and he loved it for its practicality and lightness (less than 2 ounces). Gary and his daughter both use one of these when bike riding. A total of about 20 knives were made on the first run. The first 20 had a sheath similar to the original Model 24 "GUARDIAN" sheaths that just covered the blade of the knife and attached to the arm or leg with a strap. The last 30 or so had a snap sheath. This skeletal knife has a blade approximately 2¾" long, 3/16" thick at heaviest part of the knife and a tapered tang. The overall length is 6½" and 1 & 1/16" wide at the widest point. The original 40 knives were made out of AEB-L stainless, but AEB-L is no longer available and the next run will be out of 440-B stainless. This is the first skeletal knife ever offered by the Randall shop and will probably be offered in the next catalog. ////Rhett Stidham

The knife was soon offered as a non-catalog knife and still is, but today is not shown on the non-catalog insert. The current 2002 price is $170.00 and the knife metal is ATS-34.

Thanks, sounds like I'm getting a fine knife. Starting to get the Randall itch :p

After receiving this beaut which is intended as my " last ditch back up blade" ( if I can't hit 'em with the 47 rds of .40cal I've got:rolleyes: but hey it's cool. :D I had to try it out. The thick leather sheath wouuldn't find an appropriate carry place anywhere on my duty belt to my liking ( read concealed yet accecessable) but it fits great inside my Danner FT. Lewis boots. Don't even notice it!With the lanyard tucked up front it comes out pretty easy. Got my chance to use it at work in regards to an illegally shot lynx. Found it frozen up side a pine tree. So instead of the old buck 110 on my belt out came the Randall.First it cut the bottom branches out of the way, maybe finger size in diameter,next pryed:eek: the carcass from the tree, bark, skin and all,no damage,or problems to the blade,lots of slicing and lateral stress here. Then made some fuzz sticks from some small dead wood because I was cold ( -22C windchill = -37C) got a fire going wiped her down and she made a fine coffe stiring knife. All in all handled well, with gloves on, stays well in the sheath in the boot, very lightweight, and the next day after letting the lynx thaw was still sharp enough to do a decent job of skinning. But that finished it for super sharp . So know it'll be sharppend and back to inside the boot for my backup piece.
I was not sure upon looking at upon arrival( bought it for the Randall mystique) it but it equals my old falkiniven wm1 as far as utility goes. And is more concelable except for the current sheath but I kind of like the boot knife thing.It fits so deep in its' sheath I have no worry about it falling out and the spring clip appears very strong I don't foresee any problems with that.

=One happy game warden:)
edited for my usual poor spelling and grammer :rolleyes:

In the latest Blade magazine, Pete Hamilton does a little article on the Triathlete. It shows four different styles of this knife. They all look great.

Triathlete it beautiful knife. I going to order, as a pair of my 10-5.
Interestingly, at the moment ats34 steel or RMK returned to 440b?

Last edited:
Hi failbot; my understanding is that ATS-34 is used on all the stock removal RMK's such as the Triathlete.

Hope that helps.

Well, today received its Triathlete and #11-3.
Really handy little knives!

That Triathlete is a cool little knife, Congrats. I seen one a while back piggybacked on a model 14's sheath and it looked like a great setup too.

The triathlete is a very nice EDC for sure. I am wanting one myself. At first I thought you had 2 Triathletes and had one rehandled with the stag. The blade style is so close. Both are winners in my book. Enjoy.

Back