1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Photo Thread!

Discussion in 'Daniel Fairly Knives' started by Daniel Fairly Knives, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    very cool! 3d look

2. evanPGH

evanPGH

Dec 24, 2012
    A few pieces from the museum of fine art in Boston. I apologize for the cell pics but unfortunately I don't have a proper camera at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Evan, That is pretty freakin awesome!

4. rev.otto

rev.otto

Feb 14, 2014
    That sword on the bottom is amazing. Great pics!

-Ian

5. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    ^ Talk about cool! Thanks for the great pics Evan!

6. evanPGH

evanPGH

Dec 24, 2012
    Glad you guys dig 'em! The sword is a 14th century tachi. Can't remember the maker but it was an outstanding piece. The snowflake tsuba was a favorite of mine.

Here's a complete set of armor from the edo period.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Wow! Very nice... :cool:

8. evanPGH

evanPGH

Dec 24, 2012
    Glad you like it bro! How's everything going? You must be working like a mad man, its been pretty quiet around here!

9. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Mornin!!
    Thanks, Evan!
    LTGTR!!!!!
    :D

10. flatblackcapo

Mar 25, 2012
    Evan, Awesome pics yo!

11. fast14riot

fast14riot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2010
    That armor is just astounding. Just goes to show how they considered going to battle as much as a ceremonial affair as a political or practical one. The Edo period I think had the most elaborate armor. All functional too. I would love to see something like that in person, not much eastern history stuff in our museums here, unless it's the Chinese culture and their impact on the western US during the 19th and 20th centuries.

-X

12. flatblackcapo

Mar 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

13. evanPGH

evanPGH

Dec 24, 2012
    Yep! Everything was preparation for dying a good death. The Edo period pieces are very elaborate because Japan was at peace for most of it. With no battles to fight, having a blinged out wardrobe was more practical than it was previously.

That being said, some of my favorite pieces are from the Muromachi period when armor needed to be functional. Search Honda Tadakatsu ;)

14. fast14riot

Oct 27, 2010
    I just got word that I won a monthly photo contest on another forum with this image! The theme was "out of focus" and since this was a very close up shot with a non macro lens, nothing was in focus.

-Xander

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  15. liamstrain

liamstrain Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Congrats!

16. fast14riot

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks Liam! I've been entering this contest every month for a few years now, this is the first time I have ever won it! Have gotten lots of votes in the past only to miss out by one or two votes, but never came out ahead until now! No big prize other than bragging rights for the month and picking the theme for the second month out, but I use these contests as personal challenges and to force me into other areas I may not venture on my own.

-X

17. flatblackcapo

Mar 25, 2012
    Congratulations Xander! Pretty cool shot. May I ask what it is?

18. fast14riot

Oct 27, 2010
    A close up with a non macro lens of this...

[​IMG]

For post processing I inverted colors to negative and boosted saturation just a touch.

-X

19. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Congratulations Xander, you deserve it! :cool:

lol I thought it was a shower curtain, nice pic!

20. flatblackcapo

Mar 25, 2012
    Thanks X. I thought it might have been some of that custom blown glass functional art pieces that you like so much.:D