Random Photo Thread!

A few pieces from the museum of fine art in Boston. I apologize for the cell pics but unfortunately I don't have a proper camera at the moment.

Glad you guys dig 'em! The sword is a 14th century tachi. Can't remember the maker but it was an outstanding piece. The snowflake tsuba was a favorite of mine.

Here's a complete set of armor from the edo period.

Glad you like it bro! How's everything going? You must be working like a mad man, its been pretty quiet around here!

That armor is just astounding. Just goes to show how they considered going to battle as much as a ceremonial affair as a political or practical one. The Edo period I think had the most elaborate armor. All functional too. I would love to see something like that in person, not much eastern history stuff in our museums here, unless it's the Chinese culture and their impact on the western US during the 19th and 20th centuries.

-X

That armor is just astounding. Just goes to show how they considered going to battle as much as a ceremonial affair as a political or practical one. The Edo period I think had the most elaborate armor. All functional too. I would love to see something like that in person, not much eastern history stuff in our museums here, unless it's the Chinese culture and their impact on the western US during the 19th and 20th centuries.

-X

Yep! Everything was preparation for dying a good death. The Edo period pieces are very elaborate because Japan was at peace for most of it. With no battles to fight, having a blinged out wardrobe was more practical than it was previously.

That being said, some of my favorite pieces are from the Muromachi period when armor needed to be functional. Search Honda Tadakatsu ;)

I keep seeing Breaking Bad in that pic, lol!

It really is a great one Kevin.

Some "rule breaking" this morning. Nothing in focus, no specific subject, no classical composition rules. Is it any good? Hell I don't know, but it does appeal to me.

2014-03-27%2008.59.26_zpsvbea9ukt.png~original

-X

I just got word that I won a monthly photo contest on another forum with this image! The theme was "out of focus" and since this was a very close up shot with a non macro lens, nothing was in focus.

-Xander

Last edited:
Thanks Liam! I've been entering this contest every month for a few years now, this is the first time I have ever won it! Have gotten lots of votes in the past only to miss out by one or two votes, but never came out ahead until now! No big prize other than bragging rights for the month and picking the theme for the second month out, but I use these contests as personal challenges and to force me into other areas I may not venture on my own.

-X

Congratulations Xander! Pretty cool shot. May I ask what it is?

A close up with a non macro lens of this...

20140327_091220_LLS_zps05boeobf.jpg

For post processing I inverted colors to negative and boosted saturation just a touch.

-X

Thanks X. I thought it might have been some of that custom blown glass functional art pieces that you like so much.:D

Back