Random Thought Thread

Dip machine is fixed.
_80477279_screenshot2015-01-23at10.11.51am.jpg

Why is it I can't stop thinking about a pre order for a DEK 1 .... and I still can't decide if I want 3v magnacut

Soo exciting!

No question in my mind: get a D3V DEK1, in fact, don't wait, get the next one from the Exchange.

Why ?

Magnacut is spectacular in that it is a stainless steel with record hardness/wear-resistance; they say like stainless M4 or 4V.

I've had 4V chip on me, a tip breaking off with quite innocent yard work. Have not chipped 3V, Cruwear or Infi. I hate chips. 3V, Cruwear or Infi are stainless enough for me, in particular for a fixed blade that doesn't sit in my (sometimes sweaty) pocket all day long.

In the "anti-chipping" sense, D3V is unique, and it's almost stainless anyways. Magnacut will just be another stainless steel. Harder than others, but I don't mind sharpening every so often.

My 2 cents.

No question in my mind: get a D3V DEK1, in fact, don't wait, get the next one from the Exchange.

Why ?

Magnacut is spectacular in that it is a stainless steel with record hardness/wear-resistance; they say like stainless M4 or 4V.

I've had 4V chip on me, a tip breaking off with quite innocent yard work. Have not chipped 3V, Cruwear or Infi. I hate chips. 3V, Cruwear or Infi are stainless enough for me, in particular for a fixed blade that doesn't sit in my (sometimes sweaty) pocket all day long.

In the "anti-chipping" sense, D3V is unique, and it's almost stainless anyways. Magnacut will just be another stainless steel. Harder than others, but I don't mind sharpening every so often.

My 2 cents.

I agree. But eventually I will get a blade with Magnacut to check out.

Why ?

My 2 cents.
While I agree D3V is very stainless and wont be matched for toughness, I also would disagree with MC being just another stainless.
It won't match D3V, but I doubt it will simply be lumped with every other stainless. If that was the case, Nate wouldn't have decided to use it. I've never seen him settle for hype of anything or use anything without appropriate testing first. The fact that Nate is adopting it gives me confidence that it is still a very good option next to D3V

While I agree D3V is very stainless and wont be matched for toughness, I also would disagree with MC being just another stainless.
It won't match D3V, but I doubt it will simply be lumped with every other stainless. If that was the case, Nate wouldn't have decided to use it. I've never seen him settle for hype of anything or use anything without appropriate testing first. The fact that Nate is adopting it gives me confidence that it is still a very good option next to D3V

I was careful not to say it was hype, I've said it will be the highest wear-resistance stainless steel. Look, Jo doesn't go to competitions with D3V, so clearly there are non-D3V applications. It's just not as interesting for me for a fixed blade. And that's all I have to say, carry on :)

Last edited:
Back