Random Thought Thread

So, the power went off for 8 hours last night, imperiling a fridge full of groceries. The CDC says food is safe for up to 4 hours without power, but I disagree.

Does anyone wanna take bets on the quality of some pork chops? How about the Ranch dressing?
It's one of many things I like about the SensorPush suite of products.

The sensors themselves (about 1.75" square and 0.75" thick) are continuously logging, for up to 30 days, and can be setup to pair with the phone app via Bluetooth, or WiFi (if you add the WiFi gateway to the setup). The sensors internal batteries last about a year in the freezers.

The phone app allows me to setup alarms with maximum and minimum temperatures and even humidity, if desired (they have various sensors available. The basic one just logs temperature and relative humidity, but they also offer sensors that can also log barometric pressure etc.).

In my case, with the WiFi gateway, as long as the gateway and router have power, and the internet works, I can receive alarms (or check all the sensors in real time) anywhere my phone can receive data, i.e. I can literally receive an alarm on my phone while traveling out of state, and see that the refrigerator temperature has been rising steadily for the past hour, and text, "Hey, someone didn't close the fridge/freezer door fully".

In a power outage, since the sensors continue logging on the internal battery, even without WiFi, I can read the logs on my phone via Bluetooth (and the alarms will sound on my phone if the sensors are within Bluetooth range), which allows me to see
1) how warm the freezers/fridge got
2) how quickly they warm up
3) for folks like me without a whole house backup genny, it allows me to prioritize cycling the power to various things, as I can see how quickly the fridge/freezers warm up, AND how quickly they cool back down when powered.

B bluemax , that's not a bad idea.

My conception of the longevity of food was shattered after learning what my Opa's family persisted on. Homemade sausages, ham, bacon, butter, cheese (probably cottage and cream cheese), etc. all being stored and eaten for months without refrigeration in Central Texas. No problems to speak of, although he did say some of the lard started to turn rancid by August so they'd have to scrape down to reach the good stuff.

So, the power went off for 8 hours last night, imperiling a fridge full of groceries. The CDC says food is safe for up to 4 hours without power, but I disagree.

Does anyone wanna take bets on the quality of some pork chops? How about the Ranch dressing?
well. I 100 percent agree with everything the CDC says. They have an impeccable track record for, you know, being honest and forthcoming with factual information on various topics.

you know?

In the case of steaks and chops etc. those age pretty well. Ground meat is a different story. If the meat smells fine, it's fine

If the meat doesn't smell fine, it's probably still fine

If the meat smells bad. It's probably still fine.

If the meat is definitely bad. As in off color, rotting, and there are actually maggots and slime. I wouldn't eat it but there's still a pretty good chance that it's actually still fine. Just don't eat it rare.

If canned food is bulging or lets out air when you open it. I wouldn't eat that. Cooking doesn't fix botulism.

If the food came out of a bag that has McDonald's written on it. I would think twice about that.

Things like ketchup, butter, eggs, bread and cheese are frequently stored without refrigeration.

I would throw the ranch out though. It's usually a good policy to throw away ranch dressing just in general.

This is for people with normal stomach acids. If you're on medication that reduces your stomach acids it might be a different story I don't know

But healthy stomach acids kill a lot of bacteria and other problems. I've heard people can even eat meat from "foodlion" without ill effect.

The Japanese have been eating raw chicken for hundreds of years. As long as the animal is raised in a clean environment and the meat is properly cleaned, it's safe.
First I ever heard of raw chicken sashimi was in Japan. "Wait... RAW chicken?!!!"

They laughed. "Yes. Common in Japan. No one gets salmonella here".

"Huh..."

Granted; after Rocky came out, I was probably one of many misguided youths who started chugging raw eggs (misguided, because bioavailabilitu of the protein is better when eggs are cooked).

I'd guess I've literally swallowed hundreds of raw eggs, without getting food poisoning. Does that mean it's either safe or I'm not particularly susceptible to salmonella? I'm going to guess it's more of a luck, thing.

Using that anecdotal experience to claim it's not a big deal, is probably somewhere along the lines of someone claiming their magic crystal that they wear around their neck protects them from gunshots, and works because they've never been shot.

Went to use my old pressure washer today.....

It wouldn't start ...... so I kicked it and cussed at it... still won't start.....

Now I'm enjoying beers outside throwing my empties at it still cussing lol
I know you tear apart/rebuild vehicles, but those small engine carburetors can respond well to emptying the carb bowl, thin wire down the main jet followed with carb cleaner, and starter fluid as well as ‘mechanic in a bottle’. Having to store warm weather engine’s for 7-8 months has taught me🤣

Back