Random Thought Thread

I had a similar situation almost a month ago. I got three quotes with the highest being $2700. I ended up getting it done myself in a day, with the help of some heavy equipment from my father in law. I will still have to remove the stump at some point.

Stay safe and plan it out before you cut anything.

I'm going to cut it down in pieces. I'll take off the larger branches first and rig them to the main trunk. This way they have a limited fall distance and I can control their trajectory. Then I'll just cut the top of the tree off, as high up on the trunk as I can. From there it's easy.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Have you looked into burning out the stump? I have a large old stump I'm planning on burning out with some charcoal. It's a pretty straightforward process that works well, but it takes some time.

I'm going to cut it down in pieces. I'll take off the larger branches first and rig them to the main trunk. This way they have a limited fall distance and I can control their trajectory. Then I'll just cut the top of the tree off, as high up on the trunk as I can. From there it's easy.

Have you looked into burning out the stump? I have a large old stump I'm planning on burning out with some charcoal. It's a pretty straightforward process that works well, but it takes some time.
Yeah I might wait and do that. Be safe either way. 🤙🏽

Is there any risk of forest fires doing this? Some of our parks experienced forest fires when campers built (unapproved) firepits on top of tree roots. The roots embered/burned and spread beyond the firepit, setting nearby tree(s) on fire as a result.

Is there any risk of forest fires doing this? Some of our parks experienced forest fires when campers built (unapproved) firepits on top of tree roots. The roots embered/burned and spread beyond the firepit, setting nearby tree(s) on fire as a result.
Depending on where you are and the conditions it can be. Roots can and do continue to burn for days, weeks and even months after forest fires. They can then burn to a place where the roots surface somewhere else and reignite. There have been fire around here that have ignited that way. But, it is pretty extreme as far as wildfire goes in Northern California. It is common to go four months without rain in the summer. And that’s after we have tons of rain all winter that promotes lots of vegetative growth, creating a perfect storm.

BTW, just a heads up;

There's been significant solar activity the past few days, and the last I checked, 7 X-class flares headed this way.

High potential for the aurora borealis to be visible much further south then normal (some of the projections mentioned as far south as North Carolina 😮).

Seems somewhere between about 2am and 5am EST/EDT tonight may be the peak, extending to tomorrow.

Going to step out into the backyard around 2am, to see if there's a light show. Never seen the aurora in person. Checked off the total solar eclipse from the bucket list. This could be another tick.

B beeinak
should have a prime view.

P.S.
Also a possibility for disruption of things like GPS (first one hit about 12:xx pm today. People have already apparently seen anomalies with GPS), and ham radio, and a small possibility of power disruption. Supposedly some reports of it from the EU already.

P.P.S.

Now upgraded to a G5 class event. First one since 2003 (that knocked out power in parts of Sweden, and took out transformers in South Africa).

Maybe consider filling up gas tanks, just for shits and giggles. Not sure if French Toast fixins are called for.

Last edited:
Back