Random Thought Thread

As an early adapter and owner of the Medium Chopper pattern from 2018, I didn't add another MC to my preorder when I had the chance and went with the HDMC option instead. If possible and when your tight schedule permits, I would like you to explain the tweaks (pics would be great if/when) between this newer 2019 MC as opposed to that older 2019 MC which I do not want to call the prototype version (yet!).

Uncle Matty, the New MC's (Pre-order only-so sorry) have the New and one time exclusive offering of the "CPK Penetrator Tip" :p

View attachment 1116258

OK, not sure whether it's comedy or not, so would appreciate it if @Jo the Machinist or Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist would let me know if the above "cpk penetrator tip" is, indeed, available.

OK, not sure whether it's comedy or not, so would appreciate it if @Jo the Machinist or Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist would let me know if the above "cpk penetrator tip" is, indeed, available.

hell man, I couldn't remember either. I had to go back and look at the pre-order. I was thinking "shit do I have to grind some sort of a penetrator tip?"

hell man, I couldn't remember either. I had to go back and look at the pre-order. I was thinking "shit do I have to grind some sort of a penetrator tip?"

It's almost always easy to tell if Tom, or for that matter anyone else, is joking but his post left me uncertain enough to go and review your pre-order offering (scanned it, actually) and couldn't find anything. But so much is discussed in the threads, I figured I must have missed some critical comment there. Thanks to you and Tom for getting back to me.

I realize it can be very taxing for you, particularly in the evening hours, dealing with special requests and such.....:):D

The cries of anguish and envy after the sale of the Shiv just now deserves it's own special thread

The Shiv is a great piece, no doubt about it. Nathan had quipped something really whimsical about his Shivs in the past and IIRC, Bob had posted it or a version of it sometimes in the recent past, something about the Shiv making you more desirable or something :)

I own three of these magnificent pieces and in fact it was a "grail" of mine from when I started hanging around this subforum from its inception in 2016. All that said, in the past 3 years or so I have perhaps seen or were told about 2-3 Shivs selling at or below Nathan's original prices. I will be remiss if I did not also mention that the Shiv aka 8" fighter was probably Nathan's second commercial endeavor after his debut of the D2 Skinner pattern.

Case in point: don't fret much and don't angst yourself if you chase Shivs and they get snapped up so fast and realistically deals like the one earlier on are not any normal occurrences. Someone (the seller) had not don't their homework properly and another person (the buyer) was both astute and fortunate to be there at the right time. Good for Tricky :thumbsup:

If my humble opinion is worth anything, most of us who were fortunate enough to get onboard with the recent UF preorder and Friday sales, did really well thanks to Nathan's generosity for making that project to be resurrected and to happen. The Shiv is a BEAST, no doubt about it but it is also very impractical. It's a great collector's piece and a great conversation piece but the real money shot is the size, weight, shape, geometry, utility, balance (add your own superlatives) of the CPK-Utility Fighter. Let's also not forget that according to Nathan, when he used to travel to "rough" areas, he often carried his UF as opposed to a Shiv. In closing my friends, the Shiv is awesome but so is the UF unless you really lust after something to puncture through sheet metal, breeze block or zombie skulls ;)

Back