Random Thought Thread

As soon as I saw this design by BioVyzr, I immediately thought of it as being a clear rip-off (inspired by?) of:

E8673CFB-78F6-4103-A4D4-1F7EF1EFF770.jpeg

cb3bcf2e1d1428132f874ff1772913e9.jpg

That is not the AEB-L I was expecting!
Hey man ya gotta work with what ya got! Right? Haven't landed a potato annihilator..... yet.

Chain Pickerel? It's a beauty!
Thanks yes sir. My dad likes em for some reason so occasionally I'll save him some. We
Have a good variety of species in our lake. And just next door we spill into a larger lake that holds trophy trout walleye and northern pike.

having to send blades away for heat treating sucks, it takes time and time is money. Kilns are also money, but they save time, so eventually they pay for themselves(?).

I have some very special projects in the works that followers of CPK will probably/hopefully have a great interest in, if I can develop acceptable prototypes, and the kiln will be a significant asset in that regard.

Last edited:
From a thread with less traffic, I thought this might be of broader interest.

What's the S stand for in front of the HDFK? Slightly? Swanky? Super?

We're doing a run of a few simplified knives at a competitive price point for distribution on Amazon. They handle the distribution, which is one of our bottlenecks. We're going to continue offering our best in class (very high performance, detailed, semi custom) here on Bladeforums, but I'm spreading my wings a little with our new growing manufacturing capacity and entering a somewhat less niche area with some slightly simpler and more "consumer" grade knives and I thought a Super Duty Field Knife would be a good entry for that. Here's a knife that cuts well, stays sharp, can't be broken and can even be hammered thought a 1/4" bolt without damage. You guys are accustom to magic, but "normal" people are going to lose their minds. It will be a little thicker and more obtuse primary geometry with simplified geometry all around. Still Delta 3V. Still heads and shoulders better than the usual offerings that people are familiar with out there, but not quite dialed to 11 like our high end work here to get it closer to the price point "normal people" are comfortable with.

We generally strive to make the highest performance knives that we're able to make with the high end metallurgy and manufacturing processes that we utilize here, which involves balancing durability with cutting performance with a nod towards cutting performance with the knowledge that our audience here are experienced knife users that know how to use a knife so we can lean a little thin. However there are plenty of "normal" people out there with very low expectations because they've been using cheap Walmart knives and other mass produced garbage who might be looking to graduate to something a little more advanced and these folks may not be looking for a race knife but will be attracted to something that is practically unbreakable and doesn't go dull in a timeframe they're familiar with. I hate to say we're going "main stream", but I want to starting getting out there a little and introduce our brand to "normal people". No offence to you lot of miscreants.

This is an experiment. Can we make a basic knife and sell it on a platform that non-knife-nuts are familiar with. I'm going to start with an SDFK.

We're doing a run of a few simplified knives at a competitive price point for distribution on Amazon. They handle the distribution, which is one of our bottlenecks. We're going to continue offering our best in class (very high performance, detailed, semi custom) here on Bladeforums, but I'm spreading my wings a little with our new growing manufacturing capacity and entering a somewhat less niche area with some slightly simpler and more "consumer" grade knives and I thought a Super Duty Field Knife would be a good entry for that. Here's a knife that cuts well, stays sharp, can't be broken and can even be hammered thought a 1/4" bolt without damage. You guys are accustom to magic, but "normal" people are going to lose their minds. It will be a little thicker and more obtuse primary geometry with simplified geometry all around. Still Delta 3V. Still heads and shoulders better than the usual offerings that people are familiar with out there, but not quite dialed to 11 like our high end work here to get it closer to the price point "normal people" are comfortable with.

We generally strive to make the highest performance knives that we're able to make with the high end metallurgy and manufacturing processes that we utilize here, which involves balancing durability with cutting performance with a nod towards cutting performance with the knowledge that our audience here are experienced knife users that know how to use a knife so we can lean a little thin. However there are plenty of "normal" people out there with very low expectations because they've been using cheap Walmart knives and other mass produced garbage who might be looking to graduate to something a little more advanced and these folks may not be looking for a race knife but will be attracted to something that is practically unbreakable and doesn't go dull in a timeframe they're familiar with. I hate to say we're going "main stream", but I want to starting getting out there a little and introduce our brand to "normal people". No offence to you lot of miscreants.

This is an experiment. Can we make a basic knife and sell it on a platform that non-knife-nuts are familiar with. I'm going to start with an SDFK.

I'm a valued Amazon Prime customer. So you may end up singing late night lullabies to me instead!

I hope it goes well for you. It's rarely a bad thing to get more exposure and may very well give a whole new audience an appreciation for quality. Congrats.

Back