Random Thought Thread

View attachment 1533434

Well, I’m ready for my walk in the woods. :p Behemother in the Jill Gregory sheath and a fine aikuchi with a amboyna burl handle from Matt Gregory. Also, with one of Jill’s sheaths. Maybe I need a belt. Mike

How 'bout a pic of the aikuchi, please? In the "besides" thread, maybe.if more appropriate?

I've been considering mentioning a tanto in the ""what next" thread. Couldn't be the first time suggested or considered. Lum, American or traditional. A 4", a 7"...and a three footer :)

I'll take a set in each style, please :thumbsup:.

Fan of Phil Hartfield's work, but D3V, 4V, or..what's that new steel Nathan said was being tested now? But, yes..V grind, not chisel..as cool as zero grinds are..Edited here: unfinished thought

I'm sure Nathan could carve out a beauty.

I traded an HDMC. I think the light chopper might be for me.

Last edited:
Well, the SFA isn’t really designed to be a splitter, so that’s understandable.

I’m not sure what to say about the edge damage. None of mine have experienced anything similar and I’ve cut/split through quite a bit of wood with them, particularly with the Wilderness Axe and Large Splitting Axe. They both stay sharp for a long time with regular use. You positive you didn’t run into some dirt/stones with that?

I’ll take some pics of the edges of the two I mentioned above this week when work slows down.
As mentioned earlier, here are some images of two Gransfors I purchased early last year. They’ve both cut/split their fair share of wood since then and I’ve not felt the need to touch them up.

Ray Mears Wilderness Axe:
355bCkt.jpg

BAH2spW.jpg

Large Splitting Axe:
LLmQS9M.jpg

J7d1vfQ.jpg

I split all the wood shown here with the Large Splitting Axe:
eL8uUoc.jpg

I hope Amazon's liberal return policy doesn't bite you when idiot laypersons try to baton it through a brick for insta-fame and then send it back for a "defect" in workmanship. Seems like selling through someone like The Knife Connection, SMKW, or another dealer would better insulate you from these knuckleheads. Curious why you chose the Amazon route? Are you going to ship them yourselves or use FBA and sell them via Amazon Prime?

CPM MagnaCut
Per the article a nod to Vasco with the name.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/03/25/cpm-magnacut/

Can be bought from Niagra
Thanks!

OK, I read that.

I need one of you knife/steel supernerds to explain to me how this steel shows up as being any better than and outperforming AEB-L, other than perhaps in corrosion resistance (for which AEB-L is "good enough" for me).

Pardon my ignorance, and TIA!

Back