Random Thought Thread

Hopefully you won't have to replace them very often. They tend to be very unreliable...though occasionally some will last several seasons.

It's one of the very few items that an extended warranty actually may make sense for. We had ours replaced last year by Frigidaire / Electrolux.
It's a pity Frigidaire discontinued their 70-pint dehumidifiers. I have 2 Frigidaire FFAD7033R1 units (one upstairs and one downstairs, that run 24/7 Spring through Fall to keep the indoor RH around 4x%).

I previously had just one and it failed about 2 years ago. I tried to find a shop that could repair it, and wound up calling Frigidaire CS for advice (in the meantime, while trying to find a place to repair it, I'd ordered a new one from Amazon).

The Frigidaire CS rep asked where I bought it (Amazon) and how long ago (I said about 4 years ago, but I wasn't sure). He told me they had 5 year manufacturer warranties and emailed me the warranty return form.

All I had to do was peel off the label with the serial number and stick it on the form, fill out the form and email them a photo of the filled form with the label stuck on it, along with a photo of the unit with the power cord cut off (didn't need to snail mail anything). They didn't ask for proof of purchase/receipts etc.

Whaddya know, the brand new unit I'd ordered from Amazon didn't work, called CS again. Same thing. A week or 2 later, 2 brand new units arrived on my doorstep direct from Frigidaire. I now run one upstairs and one downstairs (and I use the drain hose attachment so I don't have to empty the internal tanks). Keeps the indoor RH at about 38 - 42%.

P.S.

For folks who read my post about the SensorPush setup, I have a bunch of their sensors now, that monitor the refrigerator and freezer, the garage freezer, the living room and basement. They continuously log temp, humidity (dewpoint with one of the sensors). I can also move them around if I want to measure/log different rooms/things.

Last edited:
B bluemax_1 I've done this dance in the past with Kenmore and Frigidaire...both with and without extended warranty. I always got satisfaction eventually, the only difference being the time and number of hoops or lack thereof.

As to the size...my understanding is that the way of rating the dehumidifiers changed, and what was the 70 pint size that I still own, is now called 50 or similar...but it's the same machine.

Here's some info:

What Changed?

Pint Capacity

Previous Standards

Changes made in 2012 required dehumidifiers to be tested at an ambient temperature of 80 degrees F and 60% humidity.

As a result, most dehumidifiers were built standard as 30-, 50-, and 70-pint models, referring to the amount of moisture they remove in 24 hours under those conditions.

New 2019 Dehumidifier Standards

Dehumidifiers are now tested at 65 degrees F and 60% humidity, which is 15 degrees lower than in the past.

Since there’s less water vapor to remove from cooler air, the number of pints each dehumidifier removes also dropped. The standard pint capacities under the new conditions are 20-, 30- and 50-pint dehumidifiers (as opposed to 30-, 50-, and 70-pint models when tested at 80 degrees F).

B bluemax_1 I've done this dance in the past with Kenmore and Frigidaire...both with and without extended warranty. I always got satisfaction eventually, the only difference being the time and number of hoops or lack thereof.

As to the size...my understanding is that the way of rating the dehumidifiers changed, and what was the 70 pint size that I still own, is now called 50 or similar...but it's the same machine.

Here's some info:
Thanks! That's good to know! That explains why I could still find the 70-pint rated units 2 years ago (must have been while they were phasing them out/changing over).

P.S.
I wonder why they made the testing conditions easier? I would've thought rating the units for removing more moisture would be better, since before getting a humidifier, my typical indoor RH (as displayed by the weather station that also has a battery operated outdoor sensor, so I get indoor and outdoor temperatures, humidity and barometric pressure) tended to be highest in the Summer (hitting 7x% before the humidifiers), and as you stated, warmer air can hold more moisture.

B bluemax_1

Half of my basement is finished...into a guest area with separate bath...the other half unfinished which is my workout area, storage and shop.

The dehumidifier is in the unfinished area which is not "under air" (though the heat pump / furnace / water heaters etc are in that room).

I keep a separate hygrometer in there as the readings that come off these dehumidifiers are generally off anywhere from 5% RH to 15% RH. So, I test with a couple of external hygrometers, and then set the dehumidifier to whatever setting keeps the humidity at or just below 50% RH in that room based on the average of the two external devices.

I usually run from late spring, to mid to late fall.

Another thing. Even though set to "off", don't leave it plugged in during the months it's not being used. Disconnect from the wall until the spring. The unit will hold up better over time. (I've become a reluctant expert on these devil spawned devices.)

B bluemax_1

Another thing. Even though set to "off", don't leave it plugged in during the months it's not being used. Disconnect from the wall until the spring. The unit will hold up better over time. (I've become a reluctant expert on these devil spawned devices.)
Yep. I let them fully dry before unplugging them for storage in late Fall.

I heard Nathan was seen earlier today poking around here...

5bf86f401526e.image.jpg

...And later purchasing a bunch of exercycles to chain us monkeys to in order to generate power while he installs a long extension cord to the wind turbines...

Back