Ranking of Steels in Categories based on Edge Retention cutting 5/8" rope

It's geometry that cuts, all other things being equal! Bad geometry in a great steel very well heat treated cuts worse than a proper geometry in a simple steel. That's physics I guess.

Ditto, yet it is proper HT that allows you more choices as far as blade geometry is concerned.

That's why I like that Jim reprofiles most of the blades (and reports thickness behind edge) to try to level the playing field on geometry somewhat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The thickness behind the cutting edge is a VITAL factor in any given form of knife's cutting ability, respectively. Interesting how most pay so little attention to it.

At the moment I only comission knives from two steels: k600 for big choppers and Vanadis 4 extra for small/medium knives. Occasionally I go crazy and comission a big chopper in Vanadis 4 extra and a smaller in k600 steel. Just to play with metallurgy!;)

It's surprising how many people forget over all geometry all together. The BET is important but then you can hollow grind a very thick blade stock and get a low BET and this would be fine if your cutting through something thin but when cutting through something like cardboard for instance a thick blade stock will put a lot of pressure on that edge Here is where a thin spine is important and then you have to take into account how wide(apex to spine) the knife is because a knife that is 2" in width with the same spine thickness as a 1" knife in width is going to cut better because the gradient slope is lower. Then finally the shape of the blade becomes important for the particular job the knife is intended to do and this I believe is the least considered aspect of a knife these days. It used to be that an electrician or cowboy or construction worker etc. all got a job specific knife tailored to his needs. What will the knife be cutting seems forgotten. So when someone says geometry is important there is a whole lot that is behind that statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's surprising how many people forget over all geometry all together. The BET is important but then you can hollow grind a very thick blade stock and get a low BET and this would be fine if your cutting through something thin but when cutting through something like cardboard for instance a thick blade stock will put a lot of pressure on that edge Here is where a thin spine is important and then you have to take into account how wide(apex to spine) the knife is because a knife that is 2" in width with the same spine thickness as a 1" knife in width is going to cut better because the gradient slope is lower. Then finally the shape of the blade becomes important for the particular job the knife is intended to do and this I believe is the least considered aspect of a knife these days. It used to be that an electrician or cowboy or construction worker etc. all got a job specific knife tailored to his needs. What will the knife be cutting seems forgotten. So when someone says geometry is important there is a whole lot that is behind that statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% agree! But most people just want a go to all knife, so too thick perhaps to cut cardboard like butter. I remember when I received new knives last week and I used my 8 mm thick neck knife saber grind and 1" wide or a little bit more to open the boxes! How painful it was! A lot of drag! I wish I had my spyderco Gayle Bradley with me! Cuts like a breeze through cardboard!

Got in on a preorder for the Spyderco Maxamet PM2 and can hardly wait for them to be released. Looking at Jim's test results, it boggles the mind to think that there exists a production blade from a major manufacturer that can almost double the performance of some 10v blades from custom makers.

Got in on a preorder for the Spyderco Maxamet PM2 and can hardly wait for them to be released. Looking at Jim's test results, it boggles the mind to think that there exists a production blade from a major manufacturer that can almost double the performance of some 10v blades from custom makers.
to put that into perspective...

CPM 10V - 2400 - Phil Wilson Coyote Meadow - 64.5 RC - .004" behind the edge

MAXAMET - 1940 - Spyderco MT-24 - 67-68 RC - .018" Behind the edge

CPM 10V - 1180 - Darrin Sanders Custom - 63 RC - .012" behind the edge

CPM 10V - 1100 - Spyderco/Farid K2 - 63 HRC - .020" behind the edge.

all four differ in blade geometry greatly and the HT differs between Phil's and Darrin's.

How does Maxamet do in edge stability? Looks very promising.

I bought two mainly because of the steel makeup and Spyderco’s reputation, one for me and one for a friend. I set the bevel at 18 degrees on both and used only a strop microbevel. We both found excellent edge stability and wear resistance. From experience with other steels I must say the performance is extraordinary. My buddy operates a general hardware store and after weeks of use I could find no hint of edge damage and hardly any wear. Like anything, if you abuse it you will get chips and other damage (however less than you might expect) but with normal moderate duty, the kind you could expect working at a hardware store, or cutting test worthy volumes of cardboard and rope, the blade performed flawlessly. Three thumbs up for this execution by Spyderco. You will be amazed.

The thickness behind the cutting edge is a VITAL factor in any given form of knife's cutting ability, respectively. Interesting how most pay so little attention to it.

Edge thickness is almost never mentioned in any Youtube review. Or any reviews... I recently bought a stack of "Tactical Knives" covering from 1995 to 2002 (40 + issues) for about $1.50 an issue, and edge thickness at the shoulder never appears anywhere... And I mean not once... Even edge angle is hardly ever mentioned, and never regarding a specific knife, only as a general theme... No real bad thing is said about any of the knives either, at best mild and obvious observations about things the knife was not intended to do in the first place, so that it is hardly susceptible to be criticized for not doing... No visible edge damage or other failures, EVER... The editor justified this by saying he would not waste print space on failing knives: If they never fail, how are we to trust their testing? Yet most of what you see in the older '90s issues is defunct companies and/or completely forgotten/discontinued designs: Real knife archeology, but with an exclamation point attached to every sundry item... Hmmm.

Gaston

Edge thickness is almost never mentioned in any Youtube review. Or any reviews... I recently bought a stack of "Tactical Knives" covering from 1995 to 2002 (40 + issues) for about $1.50 an issue, and edge thickness at the shoulder never appears anywhere... And I mean not once... Even edge angle is hardly ever mentioned, and never regarding a specific knife, only as a general theme... No real bad thing is said about any of the knives either, at best mild and obvious observations about things the knife was not intended to do in the first place, so that it is hardly susceptible to be criticized for not doing... No visible edge damage or other failures, EVER... The editor justified this by saying he would not waste print space on failing knives: If they never fail, how are we to trust their testing? Yet most of what you see in the older '90s issues is defunct companies and/or completely forgotten/discontinued designs: Real knife archeology, but with an exclamation point attached to every sundry item... Hmmm.

Gaston

Interesting, but I suppose I should not be surprised. I see it in gun mags and car mags all the time. Nothing is ever a POS. :rolleyes:

Is the PM2 in maxamet preorder still going on? If so, where do I send my money?!

Last edited:
Is the PM2 in maxamet still going on? If so, where do I send my money?!
it is still happening. not released yet, but soon. i dont have the release date. should be around 180 iirc
its not a sprint run, so its here to stay as long as sales are good. the Para 3 will have a maxamet sprint run also. not sure when the release date is for that one or its price off hand.

Edge thickness is almost never mentioned in any Youtube review. Or any reviews... I recently bought a stack of "Tactical Knives" covering from 1995 to 2002 (40 + issues) for about $1.50 an issue, and edge thickness at the shoulder never appears anywhere... And I mean not once... Even edge angle is hardly ever mentioned, and never regarding a specific knife, only as a general theme... Gaston

If they were to concentrate on the shortcomings of most knives produced they would need to spend more time writing about it than their merits. Such things do not make for increased knife sales which in turn may impede sales of the magazines and leave the gates open to false liability claims being brought against the publishers... and the list goes on.

This does NOT happen only in the knifing industry, it in fact occurs in most every commercial industry within a world that is set up for people to want the rewards and benefits without accepting any responsibility or fiduciary liability for them. Look at the field of law and politics, then look at all others, there is no difference.

The important thing is for each individual to be able to recognize what's going on by exercising their own due diligence in learning what's what in the world of knives, then conducting themselves accordingly.

As it is written in the language of the dead; Caveat emptor.

Ankerson I just wanted to let you know how much all the work you put in to these tests are appreciated.I'v been in to knife for almost 50yrs and have done some testing myself but nothing on the scale you have done.please keep up the great work.
Thanks.

Agreed! Jim did/does an awesome job. Very valuable for the knife community. Me personally have bookmarked this thread and once in a while i check the firt posting and thread for updates.

At the moment I only comission knives from two steels: k600 for big choppers and Vanadis 4 extra for small/medium knives. Occasionally I go crazy and comission a big chopper in Vanadis 4 extra and a smaller in k600 steel. Just to play with metallurgy!;)
How are you finding vanadis, as far as toughness? I just started using it recently! I had a hard time finding it, but my steel supplier is carrying some now!

Back