Raptor Vs Hanwei Tactical Katana

Hi guys. I just need some advice on which Katana I should get. The Raptor or the Hanwei Tactical katana (I realize they have similar blades). I want to practice tameshigiri cutting but I also want a weapon that will serve me well in a real life situation and not break down on me in the off chance I would have to use it for in a survival capacity. I'm not sure of the Tactical Katanas cutting ability and also the tsuka shape is throwing me off. If anybody can give me any advice on which to get or has any experience with either Katana please chime in on this. Thank You!

Neither will "break down on you" but the answer will depend on your training and how important traditional construction is to you. :)

Thank you for the response Fortytwoblades. By breaking down I mean in the very off chance I would be in a survival situation and couldn't maintain the blade properly IE: Getting wet, not being oiled etc. I've also cracked the tsuka on my practical xl katana while training and realize the traditional materials wouldn't be the ideal to have in a combat situation (although the tactical tsuka shape is bothering me). As far as traditional construction I can care less, all that my sensei asks is the sword be constructed well, be able to cut through tatami mats/pig carcasses with traditional techniques and that I am comfortable with it. I really trust James Williams and the fact that he stands by the raptor gives me confidence in the product. So that being said do you know if the raptor and tactical blades are the same? Im the most worried about performance differences between the raptor and tactical. So to some it all up I'm looking for the best performance, durability (whole sword not just the blade), and handling using traditional techniques. Traditional design isn't a factor at all.

In that circumstance I'd say that the Tactical is what you're looking for. It uses a blade based on the Raptor series, so it's in a similar class. It has a fiberglass saya so no cracking issues, and the blade is plasma coated for extra corrosion resistance.

I most likely will go with the tactical, thanks. One last question, do you know if you clean and maintain the tactical the same way as a regular katana? Or would powdering and oiling it take off the plasma coating? Also if anybody else has any thoughts feel free to post.

Powdering was only done if you had to remove some light rusting, as it's abrasive and will damage the polish of any blade, though it's a very fine one. Oiling will not affect the blade. Because of the non-traditional nature of the Tactical, many folks don't maintain the historical polish when it comes time to sharpen it up and will convex it on a belt sander with fine sharpening belts. It's katana-shaped and designed to handle and behave like one, but it's a rough use rendition so treating it in such a manner isn't the crime it would be with a traditional katana. :p

Based on your advice I will go with the Tactical. Now it just comes down to where to get it from. I never bought a sword online so I am not sure which vendor to purchase from. It's between Kult of Atena and Paulchenhanweiswords.com I've seen many people purchasing from Kult of Athena but I am hearing that Paulchenhanweiswords.com has better quality control. I'm not sure which to go with and what is true or not.

If you ask KoA to hand-pick one for you they will, so I hear. :)

For Eotwawki, get the Tac... for a wall hanger, or for traditional uses, get the raptor

Tac is bulletproof

I have a Raptor and for your application you might be better off with the Tactical, You wouldn't need to maintain the blade as much. Also,All the Raptors except for the waki and Shinogi Zukuri are beasts.The shobu zukiri that I have has a 13" grip length and a 30" blade.It also weighs almost 3lbs vs the 2lbs of the Tactical. It's also 5/16" of an inch thick . So that's also something you should take into consideration. I'm sure they are both plenty strong and durable but it comes down to if you are willing to sacrifice some cutting power for a lighter,smaller and more corrosion resistant blade. The tactical would do the job but I don't see anything standing in the way of the larger Raptors and not being cut down.

Hey guys just ordered the Tactical from Kult Of Athena. I've been hearing it doesn't come very sharp. That has me kind of worried because I have no idea how to sharpen it. And the only place that will sharpen near me costs $50 an inch, Which would be ridiculous to pay for a $168 sword. Do you guy think it will still perform well straight out of the box on tatami mats possibly with a green bamboo core?

I used a Work Sharp and convexed the entire blade. It is now very sharp with a very durable edge

Back