Rarin Back to Toss It

I found myself windin up to toss a knife last night...don't usually do that but this one is givin me fits. I broke a tap, stripped the head on several screws, dropped (and lost) several more AFTER I ground them to the right length. Broke some cutoff wheels, burned my fingers grindin the bolsters, dropped a bolster down my dust collector and had to fish it out. Kicked an imaginary dog. After havin time to cool down and think about it, it was really pretty amusing. Thought ya'll might get a chuckle...sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself.

:D :D :D Those are the days, aren't they? When I start getting one of those I try to remember to just shut everything down and go mow the lawn or something. If I'm lucky at all my wife is in a good mood... :D :D :D

Dave, Smilin all the Way

What Dave said.

When I have a day where everything I touch turns to crap, I tend to forget to STOP! Don't know what it is exactly, but I have to put everything down, get out of "maker mode" and thoroughly distract myself for awhile. Maybe a day or so. Loosen that cosmic bind of Murphy's Law... or something like that. :cool:

-Jason

I had a day like that not to long ago!

I couldn't convince myself to leave till I took a swing at my workbench and lost the use of my left hand temporarily :):rolleyes:

Hand and knife both turned out fine :D

Shortening screws and Murphy's law=bad combination!

I don't know how many times I've carefully shortened a screw to just the right length, then dropped it on the floor. I'll crawl around on my hands and knees for twenty minutes looking for that bugger. Finally give up and make another one. Then, when cleaning up, I'll ALWAYS see that screw I lost on the floor...a split second before the shop vac sucks it up! Never fails.

Don

Those days happen to every maker!
I find that usually occurs when I am tired or catch myself usinga dull belt!!!
Sometimes it is better to just stop and walk away untill the next day.

robert, when i catch myself at the dull belt stage it is time to throw the ball for the dog for a few minutes and do some streching. i call it knife maker yoga!:)

:D ;) :D Yep have these kinds of days allot...
I also find it is usually when I'm tired or my mind is on Donna and not my knives:p :D
I do have what I call a three strike rule in my shop.It is like this 1 mess up could have been a accident
2 still may have been a accident or just not thinking as clear as i should
3 thats it It isn't going to get any better and so it's time to stop before I mess up a bunch of money or hurt myself.
This is when it is time to go see if Donna wants to play :D :p :D
Or watch a movie or just anything to clear my head..
I hate days like that excpecially when they turn into weeks.
Bruce

Back