Rasp Knife almost finished

I made a Knife out of a 16" farriers rasp, the blade and handle are both 6" and I will probably wrap with paranoid for the handle. I used a metal chop saw and a grinder wheel to get the shaping done, I just need access to a belt sander for the edge unless someone knows another way about it. Thoughts and questions are encouraged. It is my first Knife. Pictures are in the comments below.

I like how autocorrect turns "paracord" into "paranoid."

For setting the edge, a India stone works fast.

There are also youtube videos showing how to strop an edge. That takes time and practice

:)

I will probably wrap with paranoid for the handle.

"I finished with my woman cos she couldn't help me with my knife,
People say I'm insane cos I'm forging all the time.."
[emoji3]

Anyone wrapped in paranoid should be kept away from sharp objects

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

With a rasp you have 2 choices to preserve the heat treat already there or to heat treat it yourself.
Option 1:grind your shape and bevel with abrasives, but you have to keep the metal from getting to hot as to not ruin the heat treatment that's already there. You will also want to temper it a little ~400 Fahrenheit for an hour this can be done in your oven.
so did you get the metal hot enough to discolor it with the grining you have already done?

Option 2: anneal the rasp then you can grind and/or file the shape and bevels then heat treat it again.

Back