1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rat 2 or kabar dozier

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Earl1, May 17, 2019.

1. Earl1

Earl1 Basic Member Basic Member

May 11, 2016
    What opinions are there between these 2 knives ? Ive owned the rat 2 its a great knife. I know the dozier has a good reputation. Needing a small edc for work,and a budget folder will do great.i carry a knockout and a vantage avid but they are a little large at times. What are everyones opinions

2. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    The Rat 2, especially in D2 is a much better knife, in my opinion. The steel is gonna perform significantly better than the Dozier.

LG&M and Cscotttsss like this.
  3. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    The Dozier keeps winding up in my pocket no matter how many knives I get no matter the price point. It's an expertly designed beater, I highly recommend it. And it's comfy to hold, in various grips no less too.

marcinek and willc like this.
  4. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    That RAT II in D2 will cost you double what the Kabar will. And, if you choose the RAT II in Aus 8, then the RAT II is much more comparable to the Kabar. I would choose the RAT II in any case, as I've owned a few and like them.
    I have NOT owned or held the Kabar.
    The Kabar blade is a bit thicker in the spine, but has a nice hollow grind so that both it and the thinner flat-ground RAT II should be good slicers.
    Both knives are rated very closely, so you will likely be happy with either one in AUS 8...if comparing apples to apples.

5. Angus McGunnigle

Angus McGunnigle

Jan 1, 2013
    I have both and like the dozier a little bit better. Both good knives !

6. BITEME

BITEME Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I have both,if weight and pocket feel are important get the kabar you'll forget your carrying it ,the rat I have never warmed up to it feels a little clunky.... both have decent heat treats so that's a plus for both.

7. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    I also have both (even though I gave the Dozier to my daughter). The Rat 2 is a "nicer" knife in much the same way as a Para 3 is a "nicer" knife as compared to a Delica. Both are very good budget knives with the Dozier being a few dollars cheaper so you can beat the hell out of it and not really care.

8. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    They are so cheap you don’t really have to choose between them. I am more likely to pick up the Rat 2, however.

9. bolabeenz

bolabeenz

Jun 23, 2012
    Since you had a Rat2 I'd get the Dozier.
    I took the clip and opening stud off mine and carry it in my pocket.
    The design and ergos remind me of a kephart. Nice functional knife.

10. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I like both, the dozier was a really nice slicer. It feels like a pocket Kephart. The rat 2 has more security to the handle, IMO, but the dozier is nicer for larger hands.

Other than that, personal preferences on each and I think they're both amazing values for what they are. I would almost say, pick the one that you like the looks of best because they're both going to work really well for EDC.

The dozier is a hollow-grind with a midline tip and the rat 2 is a FFG with a high tip, if that matters. I find I poke myself more with those that have higher tips, especially when working in cold environments and being in a rush (aka, getting careless).

11. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    I only have the Dozier, but I love it. Great design across the board, easy to work with AUS-8, cut a hole though drywall with it once, no problem.

12. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Rat 2

13. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    They’re both great knives. There’s no way you can go wrong. They both have excellent ergonomics. Both are better than they should be for their cost. Just pick the one that looks better to you and put it to work.

14. golden_dragon

golden_dragon Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2016
    RAT II of course.

15. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    Just get a delica LOL

Seriously though, either one is awesome. I think dozier is lighter? Might be better that way, but the rat 2 is probably a smidgen better on the quality side. But then again, the dozier has more colors..then again, the dozier probably feels a bit better in the hand, then again...man i dont know, buy them both lol

16. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    I'd get both in aus8 good knives for different tasks and scenarios.

17. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Sorry, no experience with the Dozier just 'cause I own a Rat Model 2.

18. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    The Rat is a decent knife and I can see why people like it. However, I don't like the way it feels in my hand so it's not good for me.

The Dozier is great for what it is. You get to turn a $20 bill into a reliable, light-weight knock-around that works fairly well. It stays shut for loose carry in a pocket, tackle box, glove compartment, etc. I don't worry about getting it wet or dirty. It's easy to clean. The blade is easy to sharpen. There's not much to go wrong with it. If I lose it, oh well.

19. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Pics to help you decide.

Both are very good pocket knives.

172902E4-D75C-4B0A-8903-D5D63158717D.jpeg 98EF054B-4938-42F1-A988-337F06D231CB.jpeg 925E556F-AE0C-441A-8361-5B208AB90946.jpeg

BITEME likes this.
  20. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I used to own the Ka-Bar and I own a RAT1 & 2.

I would say the ergonomics of the Ka-Bar are better but, the Rat offers better materials and workmanship.

I personally like the Ka-Bar Dozier 4065 model. Check it out.