RAT Cutlery Announces Name Change

I'll be the first guy to admit that I'm not super survival man. I haven't been to ESEE, I don't live out in the woods and build survival shelters 24-7, I do get sucked into the gear-gear-gear mindset from time to time, and I don't always have the opportunity to get out and just practice skills. But I like hanging out here because there ARE people that do. And I can glean a bit of knowledge each time I visit, so that the next time I'm out, I can put it to practice and learn a thing or two by contrasting my own experience with the experience and knowledge of others. Inane whining about a rebranding runs counter to the very spirit of this forum and the people behind it.

Same here.

Lots of threads here I don't even click on since they've been asked and answered dozens of times already. Lots of noobs, but I guess that's a good thing for business. That said there are some gems that surface from time to time that I look foward to. And this is the place to get news on ESEE gear:thumbup:

The name change doesn't bother me at all. It's not some oddity they dropped out of the blue...they've been incorporating the ESEE name and logo on more and more gear for a while now.

My only logo gripe is the new eyes on the izula ant...I don't like 'em:p

Jeff mentioned in previously in this thread that it's pronounced S E.

Here's what he said:
"The RC-3, RC-4 and RC-6 logos will change to the new triangular ESEE logo, not the skull and crossed knives (logo shown below). The Junglas, Lite Machete and RC-5 will continue to use the round logo with the skull and crossed knives. The Izula line will continue to use the ant. So, the only thing going away is the currently RAT Cutlery triangle logo - being replaced by the new ESEE logo (shown below). The name is pronounced ES E (with a long E sound). Say it like you are saying two letters "S" "E", not "easy."

Image: http://www.eseeknives.com/picts/sidebar.jpg

NOTHING IS CHANGING EXCEPT THE NAME AND LOGO. ;)"
and

"And some folks never learned to say RTAK - "R" "TAK" Acronymns can be a bitch to deal with but if you look here http://www.eseeknives.com/index2.htm you will understand why we are using that name. It actually fits what we do and who we are better than RAT did, even though RAT is a cool name. We've been working this Escuela de Supervivencia thing in South America since 1997 and even had a contract with the government of Peru using part of that acronym. A name is just a name. What we do and how we came about that name is what's important to us. Actually RAT got started simply because it was an acronym of Randall's Adventure & Training, not because of the word RAT. RAT is no so over-used in the market by several companies that we are simply tired of the confusion, even though we were the first to ever use it."

I guess I just don't understand this hang-up with a name. It's JUST a name. NOTHING else is changing. I guess I use my knives, so the names are pretty much worn off anyway. We just don't build safe queens.

As for the South American influence, if it wasn't for a Spanish speaking country then we would never have gotten into the knife business to start with. EVERYTHING about Randall's Adventure & Training has been influenced and guided by a Third World, Spanish speaking country. I'm proud to have those Spanish words in the name. They actually mean something to us. They're not just words like so many other companies will use because it sounds cool. There have been a LOT of dues paid behind the words in ESEE.

This is the best post so far, it realls shows us where your heads are at and why you changed your name. Your company name should mean something to you.

A knife is just a tool and you guys are all about how to survive in unforgiving conditions. You teach survival skills and those are the most important tools you can have.
Your new name reflects that.

Congradulations ! ESEE

Well put, good sir. As much as we love our knives, I think a lot of us have forgotten what it actually means to be a participant on this board. :eek: The knives are just a front. The good stuff is upstairs. :p

Well put. Randall's Adventure & Training will ALWAYS be about no-bullshit survival first, with knives and gear always being secondary. Again, we are simply tired of the confusion. The worst thing a company could probably do is change their name when they have become so popular but as anyone who knows us knows, we don't follow industry or marketing rules. Even if we take a 50 percent hit in sales because people want a "RAT" knife....oh well. Sales are not the only thing important in this world. Our quality, customer service and no-bullshit approach to this whole outdoor industry will always trump sales in our opinion.

"Randall's Adventure & Training will ALWAYS be about no-bullshit survival first, with knives and gear always being secondary."

and that attitude, Jeff, is why I've hung around this forum.
well, that and the kool-aid...

The worst thing a company could probably do is change their name when they have become so popular...

I would disagree with you there Jeff, the worst thing I think a company could do is be complacent. Its nice to know that your not! Thank you sir!

A complacent company will survive about as well as a complacent man. If the situation is favorable he will squeak by, but if the situation is not favorable he will perish.

Not me. All they're good for is identifying you on America's Most Wanted. That and "Hangs out in strip clubs, rides a Harley, and has a fascination with weapons".

Aside from the association with AMW - what's the problem???:D

....Sales are not the only thing important in this world. Our quality, customer service and no-bullshit approach to this whole outdoor industry will always trump sales in our opinion.

!!!

I wish all those going for MBA would be required to have a right forearm tattoo with these words.

The change-over will probably be mostly complete within 6 months. After the current stock of knives with the RC branding are gone then we will be going to the new logo and markings on them. The currrent Izula, Junglas and associated logos will not change. The ONLY thing changing is the RAT name, RAT Cutlery logo and the RC branding. Everything else remains the same.

ESEE Knives has a lot of new and exciting things coming. We see this as a growth period and the new name allows us to do that without the confusion. We have the eseeknives.com domain parked right now but you will soon see that ratcutlery.com will forward to this new domain name. After a period of time we will phase out ratcutlery.com and eseeknives.com will be the main site. Randall's Adventure & Training and jungletraining.com remains the same.

So have you started shipping the knives with the new logos to the online retailers yet? Knifeworks is getting a new shipment of RC3 MIL's tomorrow. Are they going to be the old designs or the new ones?

I know I am a couple of days late, but congratulations on the name change! (Even though it doesn't matter what name is on your knives, cause i will still buy them to use:thumbup:)

Nah. The more I think about it I still hate the name/logo change. Great company run by great guys selling a great product, but the new logo/name looks/sounds like it belongs on a bottle of olive oil or something! Look at the helicopter shot that I had as my wallpaper for example. Much better with the "triangle logo!" I'm tempted to buy another RC-4 just to make sure I have the old logo on my favorite hunting/camp knife in case I lose the one I have. OK, I'll still buy an ESSE 4 if I NEED to but no hats or lighters for me thanks! Anyone for an ESSE tattoo? :) I'm sad man. It's like my girlfriend cut her hair short! I still love her and she's still the same lady but WHY?! LOL!

Nah. The more I think about it I still hate the name/logo change. Great company run by great guys selling a great product, but the new logo/name looks/sounds like it belongs on a bottle of olive oil or something! Look at the helicopter shot that I had as my wallpaper for example. Much better with the "triangle logo!" I'm tempted to buy another RC-4 just to make sure I have the old logo on my favorite hunting/camp knife in case I lose the one I have. OK, I'll still buy an ESSE 4 if I NEED to but no hats or lighters for me thanks! Anyone for an ESSE tattoo? :) I'm sad man. It's like my girlfriend cut her hair short! I still love her and she's still the same lady but WHY?! LOL!

It is your own opinion to not like the name. However, I am glad it was done, to be honest. I was tired of people posting so many things about the RAT 3 or RAT 5 by Ontario. I never directly said it, but you could tell it was getting on my nerves hearing the RC 3 called the RAT 3 and hearing people talk about the RAT 1 and wanting the (previously known as) RAT Cutlery warranty.

It is your own opinion to not like the name. However, I am glad it was done, to be honest. I was tired of people posting so many things about the RAT 3 or RAT 5 by Ontario. I never directly said it, but you could tell it was getting on my nerves hearing the RC 3 called the RAT 3 and hearing people talk about the RAT 1 and wanting the (previously known as) RAT Cutlery warranty.

Exactly. It's going to take a little while for the new name to really cement itself, but a lot of that is just because we've talked about RAT Cutlery so much over the years. Just keep on forcing yourself to use the new name and it'll stick in not too long. :)

Well I'll miss the R.A.T name but that's just because I like rats. I understand the change and think that it makes sense. Doesn't change how much I want an izula and HEST. And there will be no safes for my RC-4.

Oh, say can you ESEE
Ontario’s lingering blight?
On what so proudly we hailed
And was stolen by their scheming?
Whose red stripes and day-glo green,
through the perilous fight,
Needed changing so badly
because of business shit steaming?

Now that Spanish is in there,
so ignorant boobs burst forth hot air
Giving proof they don’t know
RAT knives were conceived somewhere down there.
Oh, say does that sorta triangular but really polygonal,
skull-less modified banner yet wave--
O'er the company of the free thinkers
And their internet cave?

Thank you. Thank you very much. Try the veal, and don't forget to tip your waitress. I'll be here all week.

Oh, say can you ESEE
Ontario’s lingering blight?
On what so proudly we hailed
And was stolen by their scheming?
Whose red stripes and day-glo green,
through the perilous fight,
Needed changing so badly
because of business shit steaming?

Now that Spanish is in there,
so ignorant boobs burst forth hot air
Giving proof they don’t know
RAT knives were conceived somewhere down there.
Oh, say does that sorta triangular but really polygonal,
skull-less modified banner yet wave--
O'er the company of the free thinkers
And their internet cave?

Thank you. Thank you very much. Try the veal, and don't forget to tip your waitress. I'll be here all week.

wow you will be here all week! :eek: i need to try the veal and i dont know why! :D

RAT was a much better name both in marketing appeal and it made sense.

Somehow, Escuela de Supervivencia does not exactly roll off the tongue.

Notwithstanding the above, a great product.

I posted on this topic back when Ontario began their idiotic, persecutive lawsuit.

I said then and I repeat now that Ontario will not see another cent of my money for their behavior in the matter, regardless of Jeff and Mike's personal or public opinions.
I have my own opinion and shall be sticking to it.

I don't post very often on any of the lists on Bladeforums, as I prefer to sit back and learn what I can, where I can, while trying to keep my size 14's out from between my teeth.
So, while I may be a few more years getting my post count up to joining the Rat Pack, I'll still remain a loyal customer, regardless of the name.

Now to start saving up for knives with new logos!

Back