Razor sharp Tanto (chisel) edge on a sword...good or bad??

So I have an unsharpened windlass falchion ( did not want to void the warranty) But now I want it sharp!!! I was going to get it done by a pro, I am still learning how to sharpen and that seems a little too much for me, but what if I just put a chisel edge on it?? I could definitely do that myself, but I'm not 100% sure on prose and cons. Is it possible to get a chisel edge as sharp as a beveled edge?? Or should I go pro and get a nice appleseed edge put on it, or maybe razor sharp isn't even neccessary ??
Thoughts, comments, insights??
Thanks much!!!

Equally sharp . The only difference is what happens when you cut . Chisels tends to push material differentially/asymmetrically to one side while the blade is pushed to the opposite . Play with a wood chisel to understand .

Many Emerson tactical folders are made this way and commonly serrated knives are chisel ground . Mower blades , etc .

I can't say how this would work for a sword or machete .

Equally sharp . The only difference is what happens when you cut . Chisels tends to push material differentially/asymmetrically to one side while the blade is pushed to the opposite . Play with a wood chisel to understand .

Many Emerson tactical folders are made this way and commonly serrated knives are chisel ground . Mower blades , etc .

I can't say how this would work for a sword or machete .

Chisel edges can get just as sharp.

I would begin by learning to grind on scrap or something cheap that you don't have to worry about ruining . :)

If you haven't ground any blades yet, it is very likely that you won't be too happy with how it turns out, even if you attempt chisel.
My grinding is still slowly improving, but especially over the first 20 or so.

Back