Re-coloring Native clip

The 'paint' on my Spyderco Native clip is starting to chip away, revealing the shiny steel underneath. What can I use to re-finish the clip? I wear it with dark pants and would like to keep the clip black. I have no legal duty to conceal a knife, but would like it to blend in with my pants, once again.

This was never a problem with the clip on my BM 942. It is blued steel, and I just touch it up with bluing and it looks perfect again.

I actually took the paint off of my Native's clip and left the Spyder logo black , it looks pretty neat IMO.

You can heat it up on your stove top to different colors , you can paint it with some good spray paint , there's that stuff that bakes on ( cannot recall name) and keeps pretty good.

I doubt you can blue that clip though , you could also etch it.

I'll look for a good bake-on spray or POR-15 at my auto center. Good tips, thanks.

POR-15 is a multistep process. You want to make sure the metal is absolutely clean (they have a degreaser but I'd imagine any degreaser would do), then you etch it with their solution and after that brush on the POR-15. The first time I used it was on my Camaro in high school and had mixed results, but I didn't really know what I was doing. Last year I half-assed applied it to an old rusty machete and its holding up great.

Is POR-15 it a thin, paint-like smooth surface? Or is it thick and grippy/tacky like those latex dip products for tools? I'm looking for something that will closely match the original paint-like finish. The POR-15 certainly sounds tough enough.

Make sure you wear gloves and a respirator during the application. POR-15 contains MDI. Fairly nasty stuff until cured. Should form a bomb-proof coating though.

Thanks for the warning. I'll wear gloves and a respirator AND stand upwind. ;-)

As long as your outdoors, the respirator isnt so necessary as standing upwidn is. I got some on my hands once and it took weeks to wear off! Definately wear gloves and long sleeves/pants!

Try a permanent marker, black. Works great for temporary solution. Sand off the old finish to a nice satin s/s finish. Looks great when your done.

NJ

Hi There,
You won,t find Por at an auto store, Good stuff though.I 'm pretty sure Por has their own dealers. but good hunting.
Maybe try powder coating.

armilite

Another cheap and easy fix might be black nail polish. Or paint markers. (They're basically magic markers with paint in them instead of ink, just in case you've never seen/heard of them before.)

POR website says they have dealers but does not ID them, but you can also buy it directly from them on line or by phone:

http://www.por15.com/
POR-15 Inc.
PO Box 1235
Morristown, NJ 07962
(800) 726-0459

Back