Re-Handle a 470?

afishhunter

Gold Member
The "rubber" handle on my Buck 470 is getting loose, and a bit ugly at the blade end.
I will presume Buck no longer has the equipment to mold a new grip on. The knife has been out of production for a decade or two, after all.
I'm thinking of cutting off the "rubber" and rehandling with either wood, bone, or buffalo horn. If memory serves, someone posted a pucture of the tang, and it does have holes for rivets or pins.
What handle material would you suggest?
Wood?
Bone?
Buffalo Horn?
Does anyone have a picture of a 470 they've re-handled?

Thanks in advance.

Habbie did a rehandle on that model, using maple. Or some blonde wood. It turned out very handsome. Try searching for that topic. DM

Well, thanks for Information, David. The rehandled blade got a handle made of black locust together with Mastodon ivory. But it was a small 477, the small variation of the 470 mentor blade. But I rehandled a 470 too. Plumberdave r.i.p. got it. It had scales made of stag, together with other woods in the middle. If you like I can dig out some pictures.

Haebbie

Last edited:
Please bear with me, I can show you the pictures at the first at the weekend because of the photobucket disaster. Have a little patience with me please.

Haebbie

Here's the 470. Plumber wanted a handle "something German". So I made this for him

Haebbie

Excuse the awful picture quality please.

IMG_0554klein.jpg

IMG_0552klein.jpg

Haebbie

Back