Re-Handle or repair

hello everyone. I have a kukri and the brass end cap has come completely off. I’m not sure how to post pictures since the whole photobucket incident but I can share them in an email.

Basically I don’t know if I should seek someone to repair it or have someone rehandle it completely.

And thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

I might fill the void with clear epoxy and recap to see how it holds up if the kukri were a user. If it is a treasured piece, I would rehandle it.

The handle is buffalo horn.
If it were mine, I would dye some casting epoxy black, tape the holes up, and fill the cavity with the epoxy. Once hardened sand/polish the outside as necessary.
The end cap is simply attached to the tang by peening. You should be able to force it back into place, and further peen the tang to hold it.

I heard if you mix baking soda with super glue you get faster drying harder results.

I may have to heat up the tang. I beat on it before and hardly made a dent in it. I think a full rehandle is in order though. Just wish I could find someone with the knowhow and interest. I’d be willing to pay

I do things of that nature, but my work is expensive.

I’m going to try the epoxy idea. After that I’ll have to heat up the tang and re peen it. If that doesn’t work we’ll see.

Don't heat the tang! You will destroy the glue/epoxy bond.
The tang should be peened with a small hammer with light, fast strokes.
Trying to use a large hammer will only bend the tang. Use velocity in a small area, not blunt force.

A ball pein hammer and/or a small cross pein hammer can be very useful when peening the end of the tang over. Many small blows does the trick.

Back