[Re titled] Designing 2 custom Bowie's to be built

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still working on the Toorak Bowie... it's almost finalized, and just in the nick of time it seems. We can place our orders together Bacon... might even get a discount.

When do you think you'll be ready? :D

Last edited:
Because I like it.

Okay, so no deep thoughts about orienting the knife up/down in the dark/heat of the moment etc and so on and so forth.

I thought so.

Got ya'

Personally more of a straight guard kind of guy (see below) - but thats purely up to the individual - YMMV. Your money, your knife.

Regarding makers, on my tiny and not completed (nor researched) list, I currently have 3 names down;

Adam Vigil
Darrin Sanders
Ed Martin

I know there are many more. If anyone has any suitable suggestions please share them.

Thanks!

I know of Vigil and Martins work - and they certainly make great knives.

I had Lon Humphrey make me this hard use pig sticker - he is a good egg and there are plenty other good knife makers out there. Go to the Custom forum and ask.

That's a wicked sticker Blade, excellent blade profile. What's the material and thickness of it?

I'm still working on the Toorak Bowie... it's almost finalized, and just in the nick of time it seems. We can place our orders together Bacon... might even get a discount.

When do you think you'll be ready? :D

I'm happy to go forward with the 12" Bowie ASAP. I'm putting the smaller Bowie on hold for a while. Although they will be a "set" of similar knives in different sizes, I want them built one at a time for multiple reasons.

If you want to contact a maker and get your blades made with my 12" Bowie I'm all for it. Just let me know the details

Let me know what you think Bacon, this is set to 100% scale.

I brought as many of your specs into line as possible with my graphics package, it's well balanced and on ball with what you wanted. I'll do the template file once I know you're happy with it.

I know you have your specs. thought out and you did very well overall but I'd like to make one suggestion and it is just that, a suggestion. Look at some nice knives and you'll see that on most of them, the width of the Ricasso and the width of the handle at the point where it meets the guard is equal or very close.
I suggest that you bring the top of the handle up even with the spine of the blade and then narrow the Ricasso to match the bottom of the handle and see if it looks better. I think it will but that's not set in stone. If the mock-up in the picture is the look you're shooting for then, by all means go for it but I would at least take a look at making that one little change.

I know you have your specs. thought out and you did very well overall but I'd like to make one suggestion and it is just that, a suggestion. Look at some nice knives and you'll see that on most of them, the width of the Ricasso and the width of the handle at the point where it meets the guard is equal or very close.
I suggest that you bring the top of the handle up even with the spine of the blade and then narrow the Ricasso to match the bottom of the handle and see if it looks better. I think it will but that's not set in stone. If the mock-up in the picture is the look you're shooting for then, by all means go for it but I would at least take a look at making that one little change.

Thanks for the input Darrin!

I understand exactly what you mean, and have drawn the blade like that in one of the many sketches I did to try different blade, handle and guard shapes but the problem I am currently facing that is preventing me from doing as you suggested is that the blade width is so wide, if I match the handle to that width it just becomes huge and quite uncomfortable.

Any suggestions to get around that issue?

Thanks again :thumbup:

I hear what you say Darrin, I've been out all day since dawn, late evening here now, I also received a box from California today. I need to regenerate so I'm off to bed for a few hours. Four hours odd should be enough, I'm more efficient at regenerating than the Borg. I'll have a look at the drawings and make amends after I get up, whether Bacon what's to go with them is up to him, but I'll make the drawing, and if he likes it, I'll then do the templates.

Bacon, I was held up for almost TWICE as long as I expected today, I'll message you later on tonight. If you've gone to bed, let me know tomorrow, it's no problem.

Here's what arrived from Cali... I've been fondling them for the last half hour. Here Bacon, this is what I meant when I said Vigil will do a very nice job... check out these grinds will ya. As I had calculated, the meat behind the cutting edge could have been a bit thicker for my liking as a fighter, but overall, the work speaks for itself. In hand, they look sensational, the missus got a freight when I pulled them out of the box. LOL But she did like the pink towels they were wrapped in. I'll wash them and keep the knives wrapped in them indefinitely, and tell my mates they were part of the order. :D

Last edited:
#knifeboner #knifegasm

I hear what you say Darrin, I've been out all day since dawn, late evening here now, I also received a box from California today. I need to regenerate so I'm off to bed for a few hours. Four hours odd should be enough, I'm more efficient at regenerating than the Borg. I'll have a look at the drawings and make amends after I get up, whether Bacon what's to go with them is up to him, but I'll make the drawing, and if he likes it, I'll then do the templates.

Bacon, I was held up for almost TWICE as long as I expected today, I'll message you later on tonight. If you've gone to bed, let me know tomorrow, it's no problem.

Here's what arrived from Cali... I've been fondling them for the last half hour. Here Bacon, this is what I meant when I said Vigil will do a very nice job... check out these grinds will ya. As I had calculated, the meat behind the cutting edge could have been a bit thicker for my liking as a fighter, but overall, the work speaks for itself. In hand, they look sensational, the missus got a freight when I pulled them out of the box. LOL But she did like the pink towels they were wrapped in. I'll wash them and keep the knives wrapped in them indefinitely, and tell my mates they were part of the order. :D

Have a crack at fixing up the issue of the guard/handle, that'd be awesome, cheers.

I'll be online for another hour or so tonight but then i'm heading out. Happy to talk tomorrow, there's no rush.

You're blades looks great, Adam did a fantastic job and the grinds are pretty wicked as mentioned. Pink towel really sets them off! :D:thumbup:

Here Bacon, this is what I meant when I said Vigil will do a very nice job... check out these grinds will ya. As I had calculated, the meat behind the cutting edge could have been a bit thicker for my liking as a fighter, but overall, the work speaks for itself. In hand, they look sensational, the missus got a freight when I pulled them out of the box. LOL But she did like the pink towels they were wrapped in. I'll wash them and keep the knives wrapped in them indefinitely, and tell my mates they were part of the order. :D

So glad they arrived safely :D

One of the benefits of using a steel such as S35VN with cryo is being able to have a thinner edge ;)

I chose the pink micro cloths because I thought they would compliment your smile :rolleyes:

So glad they arrived safely :D

One of the benefits of using a steel such as S35VN with cryo is being able to have a thinner edge ;)

I chose the pink micro cloths because I thought they would compliment your smile :rolleyes:

I bet your missus chose them. :D The knives are very nice Adam, nice work there.

Now all I have to do is work out HOW to get around my mate who has his heart set on the 13.25"'er. lol I won't tell him they're delivered for a while me thinks.:D

Thanks Coke,

Maybe you 2 can have a knife fight to see who gets what? LOL

Okay, so no deep thoughts about orienting the knife up/down in the dark/heat of the moment etc and so on and so forth.

I thought so.

Got ya'

Personally more of a straight guard kind of guy (see below) - but thats purely up to the individual - YMMV. Your money, your knife.

I know of Vigil and Martins work - and they certainly make great knives.

I had Lon Humphrey make me this hard use pig sticker - he is a good egg and there are plenty other good knife makers out there. Go to the Custom forum and ask.

Very Nice

Thanks Coke,

Maybe you 2 can have a knife fight to see who gets what? LOL

Oh I doubt that, I doubt that very much. But I might tell him to get lost if won't stop bugging me about it. lol Or I might have a moment of mine and think of all the years we've been together and give it to him. I mean, I'll be able to go and fondle it any time I choose anyway. We even use to share our girlfriends that way years ago... and no joke, he'd be the one who'd always regret that. I'll let you guess why. :D

We even use to share our girlfriends that way years ago... and no joke, he'd be the one who'd always regret that. I'll let you guess why. :D

My guess is the girlfriend finally got a rest from his massive... affection :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back