[Re titled] Designing 2 custom Bowie's to be built

Status
Not open for further replies.
XyLi50U.jpg

Not set in stone but this is pretty much how I want it.

Proportions/scale is slightly off.

I have drawn a 12" bowie design too although it was a scaled down version. I need a bigger piece of paper.

This is an awesome design. :thumbup:

... I'll print out what you've made and have a play around with it and make any necessary changes. If you have any suggestions/criticism, please let me know, I'd like to hear it.

(P.S The burger shop was closed but the home BBQ with family and friends was OPEN :D)

I can't criticize a bowie, all I can do is offer my view. If I were to make it for myself, I would only change the handle to an asymmetrical handle. That's all I can say without actually having the knife ready built in hand. Another personal thing of mine with ANY form of knife is I prefer a deep-ish blade, no less than about 2 inch depth, or at least 1.75 inch, but that's just me. It allows me to have wider grindlines and crowns on the back of the knife or deeper swedges, which can all be helpful in both the operations of the knife and its aesthetics.

The home BBQ makes the best burgers anyway... and there is no need to plead for or request extra bacon. :D Funnily enough Bacon, the only thing I ask extra for on my burgers at the Fish'n'Chips shops is lettuce. You'd think lettuce was a rare commodity they way they stinge on it nowadays. But the amount of times I go into a Chip Shop nowadays, they may as well not exist. LOL

Bacon, not sure if you've seen these before, all EDC type bowies.

mwf6uu.jpg

I don't know how this happened, but 2 knives somehow ended up in the following drawing and I just couldn't delete them... I think I might have to reboot my system before I continue with my graphics package. :D

b4yjwz.jpg

And yesterday I commissioned the build of 2 of the following, the knifemaker will have them ready for shipping by the first week of March. It's a newey of mine, and I've made numerous versions of it.

With relatively thick G10 scales, this profile's COMass will be well inside the scale area. And I've also commissioned the build of the deeper bladed version of this with another knifemaker, but the profile is not exactly the same as this, similar but with a different grindline and a V crown. That one will be ready in another 2 months at most.

2ih8221.jpg

Hey what about the Randall Nordic special or the Randall Buxton fighter. I believe these two Randalls have a little shorter blades though. Anybody around here have these two knives or pics as the blade designs are similar to some pics shown above.

I've mentioned in the past that coffin handles are fine, but what would happen with any SYMMETRICAL handled single edged knife if you dropped it in the dark and had to pick it up and go at lightening speed? With a coffin handle, how would you know what orientation the knife's in at the blink of an eye in pitch darkness?

Easy:

J.W. Bensinger Bowies

As I like both sabre handles and coffin handled Bowies, the above handle shape is a win-win IMO.

Yeah-yeah, I know - its one of those "Why didnt I think of that!" moments:D

Yeah BladeScout, a simple curvature in the handle is MORE than enough for the human hand/fingers to know what's going on. Asymmetrical is asymmetrical, no matter what the offset is, so long as the eyes can see it immediately, so will the hands.

You know, what's funny is that when I was almost finished on your knife, I kid you not, I had a look at it and thought to myself that it looks a lot like HALF a dagger. I can see why Steven65 asked what he did. I've done what Steven asked, it's ready to post, but I want be sure you're ok with posting it. Let me know.

I was aiming for a very slender, dagger-esk type Bowie because A) We can't have daggers and B) Bowie's are awesome so why not make a dagger x Bowie :thumbup:

You're welcome to post/help out Steven65 however you like, using my design or not, I don't mind but just trying to keep this thread clutter free. Every time someone posts it seems 5 more people read the title and share their suggestions without following the whole thread lol

I can't criticize a bowie, all I can do is offer my view. If I were to make it for myself, I would only change the handle to an asymmetrical handle. That's all I can say without actually having the knife ready built in hand. Another personal thing of mine with ANY form of knife is I prefer a deep-ish blade, no less than about 2 inch depth, or at least 1.75 inch, but that's just me. It allows me to have wider grindlines and crowns on the back of the knife or deeper swedges, which can all be helpful in both the operations of the knife and its aesthetics.

Thanks for your opinion, I wanted to hear this stuff. Regarding the asymmetrical handle, Honestly, I just don't think i'll need it and don't really want it. This knife will rarely be carried unless it's recreational stuff and highly doubt it will ever be used it combat or whatever and I'll need to know which side is which in darkness. I could tell the from the guard if I needed too I guess.

Width. I wanted this smaller Bowie to be quite slender but I do agree on everything you said. You can expect to see a much wider blade on my bigger Bowie which I will post after I finish this one off. I also need to get some bigger paper :D

Yeah BladeScout, a simple curvature in the handle is MORE than enough for the human hand/fingers to know what's going on. Asymmetrical is asymmetrical, no matter what the offset is, so long as the eyes can see it immediately, so will the hands.

I'm hoping the guard and choil will be enough to determine that quick and easily.

I'm printing the new template now, thanks mate.

EBP, what an excellent start to your project.
Well done Coke.

There is just so much satisfaction in designing your own knife.
Here is the design and results of Bruce Evans' hard work on a knife we did back in '01

And a better shot of the knife itself.

Helluva start.
Keep up the momentum!

Where can I get a Bowie for a reasonable price that comes with a sheath that uses the stud as in the bowie pictured above. Preferably with a sharpened swedge.

Ebbtide, thanks for the kind words. Your Bowie is pretty slick too :thumbup:

Only issue I have is which I want to get made first...the 7" blade or 12" blade...decisions, decisions!

I don't know how this happened, but 2 knives somehow ended up in the following drawing and I just couldn't delete them... I think I might have to reboot my system before I continue with my graphics package. :D

lmao :D The dagger is pretty sweet. Maybe one day.... Also love your "Spartan Bowie". It's wicked.

Coke, I'm very happy with the design and don't really want to change anything.

I am interested in trying the knife with a 7.5" blade and a 8" blade. Just stretch it out a little bit whilst retaining the 1.5" blade width. If you could please make those 2 templates so I can choose the winner, I think that will be the final product.

FYI, I measured my hand width on the ruler and it was 3 3/4". Seems a 7.5" blade is the max but I would still like to see an 8" version if you don't mind making the template.

Thanks for your help mate!

Where can I get a Bowie for a reasonable price that comes with a sheath that uses the stud as in the bowie pictured above. Preferably with a sharpened swedge.

FWIW, I made the sheath.
We have an excellent sub-forum for "Sheaths & Such" :D

My grail "Bowie" is an early Spanish belduque.

sw-colonial-belduque.jpg

65366d1279139425-where-can-i-find-sa-knife-

belduque.jpg

Just perfect for me.

Zieg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back