• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Read this, please.

Hi folks, if people have something in the for sale colum dont e-mail them and ask them if they want to trade. Otherwise this wouldnt be called the for sale column. This is not to be rude but there are appropriate colums for each type of transactions. Thanks for listening. ;)

I know how you feel Colonel.

Best bet: put "Please, no trades" in your for sale posts, right at the top. If you bury that message down low, you'll still get trade offers.

It is a good point about the trading in the for sale forums we all have to get used to the new way the forums are laid out i have asked about trades myself on this forum (unless it says no trades) you never know sometimes someone will trade cause it seems like a better deal than selling ??? lets not make so many rules so fast.. we are all interested in the same thing getting new knives right ???

Tim

A lot of folks put up knives for sale or trade, and a lot of deals get made that weren't advertised in the original post. If you don't want trade offers, say so in your post. There's just too many people who do to stop people from offering otherwise.

The barter system is a lot older than the gold/silver standard of bank notes will ever be.

Personally I like knives more than I like green pieces of paper. My knives aren't at the mercy of the Fed.

;)

Like has been mentioned, I think the best way to avoid the trade offers is to clearly note in your sale post that you are not interested in trades.

I have gotten really good deals in trade, by emailing someone, even when they had not specifically asked for trade offers. So, I am motivated to email if I want something, so it goes with many others, I believe.

I have a question maybe Spark will need to chime in on that goes along with this theme.

What if, as a seller, I have a knife that I want to sell or trade?

Should I...

a.) Post it in the for sale section, assuming I pay my $30 and say I'm open to trades.

b.) Post it in both places.

c.) Post it in the trade section with an asking price as well. (A big no no based on the new rules)

Personally I think that once I pay my $30 (which I will gladly do as soon as it's available) I should be able to add a sentence at the end saying if I will accept trades or not.

Posting in two places, although increasing coverage, is more work and I think would start to be frowned upon by other members.

Just my $00.02 worth:D

BTW...

I get trade offers for things even when I say no trades

I've even traded for things when my ad said "no trades"

For now, I'd post in the For Sale Forum, since it gets more coverage. After the change, when only paying members can post in the For Sale Forum, I'd post in whichever gets more coverage unless you're not paying in which case the choice is clear and you can't ask for money.

Pvt.Hogan, just READ what it says in the yellow area below "for sale, individual". Two days of KP for not paying attention.:rolleyes:

Not really sure that someone who has been a Forumite for less than a month should dictate policy to everyone else:p

I will generally post what trades I'm interested in when I post FS/T, but have made some sweet deals on trades that just came out of the blue .

I personally won't email with a trade offer when it says "no trades" in a post, but if someone emails me in that situation I always just reply with a polite "no thanks and good luck". It's not very much work to do so and I suppose you could always just ignore the emails if it bothers you that much.

have posted several for sale and gotten such good offers i ended up trading soooooooooo.....what ever thats worth lol

sifu

I see all of this BS here about posting, I have been here awhile
And since thiers now going to be a fee I see people freaking out about stupid stuff ( BTTT,Trades/F/s,putting sold in your post and so on) So if thiers a moderater post the rules as to whats aporpiate.Please
Brad

Originally posted by Elvislives
The barter system is a lot older than the gold/silver standard of bank notes will ever be.

Can't argue with that, Brandon!;)

Under the For Sale by Individuals it says"forums where you can buy or sell personally owned knives".

The poster of this thread is COLHogan not PVT Hogan. Please read what it says.

And here we go with rude again. "Less than a month, keep your mouth shut".

Maybe we should have forums that only allow "experts" with 6 months, one year, two year, etc senority. That way everyone on that forum has an equal right to say something. Might get sorta boring though. We could call them the Pompous One Year Seniority Member, Just Want To Talk Shit Boards or something like that. No valuable input but "damn, I've been here longer than you!" kind of posts.

Sorry to step all over YOUR post COLHOGAN (Dave). I appreciated meeting up with you and the GREAT transaction for the GREAT knives. Which I THOUGHT the For Sale by Individuals Board is for. I also appreciate your courteous posts.

John Row
colobbfan

It Don't take "privates" to talk shit on the internet. Just rudimentary typing skills.

John:

Before you get too upset, just a couple things to consider.

1. This post should have been in GB/U from the beginning, not in For Sale/Individual/Production Folders. Seems funny that someone who wants to dictate terms to the rest of the Forums uses the wrong category to make his point?

2. Col. Hogan wrote, "Hi folks, if people have something in the for sale colum dont e-mail them and ask them if they want to trade." I'm not sure all 10,000 plus Forumites agree with this statement. I know I don't. Pretty much everyone here has made an unexpected deal one way or another based on an offer you might not have considered. Also, there have been no ground rules set by Spark on where FS/T deals go. I'm assuming in the "for pay" sales Forums, but we really don't know yet.

3. This thread was actually pretty civil, until your post. No one had actually gotten rude. There were no personal attacks. Read what everyone else posted (basically their feelings on being open to offers of whatever kind), and then re-read yours.

All the regulars here and on the Spyderco Forum know about the problems you've had this year and we all pulled for your recovery and wished you the best. This just seemed like a direction this thread did not need to go in;)

Hi Ishay,
I do appreciate the civil way you responded to me. And the kindness of everyone who sent their prayers, etc and participated in the raffle that Joyce & Sal/Spyderco had for me.
I may have become overly sensitive about rudeness or my perception of rudeness. Becoming overly sensitive to those sort of things may come with the territory of being a hearing, seeing veg for two months +. I took that people were belittling Dave (ColHogan) for 1. Being a new guy with less than a month on the forum. and by 2.Using a play on a screenname to somehow make others take him less seriously.
Kinda like kids who would make up a play on someone's name at school to pick on him.
Someone (I can't remember his first name but his last is Benjamin, I think) mentioned that the nuances of everyday face to face communication are lost on the internet. Facial & other body gestures, a laugh etc.

So that getting screennames correct is a sign of respect. And listening is a sign of respect.

John
colobbfan

Guys, we have been over this, a couple times in fact.

If someone is gonna offer your a trade, check it out anyway.

GBU this sorta thing, huh?

Ihsya, love the little dude with the pint, reminsd me of last night.

John, I agree it is damn dark. Hot too, and all these little guys keep sticking you with the forks...glad you are back, no idea who you were until I read about your hospital stay, but it is pretty neat to see this place try to help out a perfect stranger in many aspects. Community is not a dead concept, but I will rainse my own kids and not some damn village.

I wanted to see what this looks like :barf: and it is amazing to me you can post 10,000 characters in these things. Who reads that anyway?

Glad to see the things that realy matter have not changed...;)

Oh, for all you Mad Dog fans and not, he is now makinga smaller version of the Panther (bad boy fighter) which he was debating naming Hilary the She-Beast. Mine will cary that name.

Col.,
You and I have done business before and it was very nice business indeed. I have to agree with your opposition on this one though. There are many times when a trade offer can come along that is better than the all mighty frog skin. I have ended up with a knife that I wanted on a couple of occasions. My original plan was to sell a knife that I had, and then add $ to buy the one I wanted new. Instead, I was offered the knife I wanted in trade for what I had.
We all have different tastes for our edged mistresses. One man's garbage is another mans gold.
It's easy enough for me to either post a NO TRADES PLEASE or just politely reply to the offers.
Best Regards
recondoc

Back