Real men use real swords, not replicas!

Hell...you could kill somebody with two marshmallows and superglue...weird that I would know that....Mwuhahahahahaha!

Sorry guys i meant Knives instead of swords, sorry about that.

Well i am getting sick and tired of how some of my friends brag about how replicas are sharp enough to kill somebody if they wanted to. I keep on telling them that a replica sword cannot kill anyone because its not sharp first of all and its probably made from the crappiest steel from China... Also no one would ever use a replica sword for any purpose other then showing it off in a case or a stand...

But just to clarify can replica even kill somebody?

Sorry guys if this is in the wrong section, if so please move it mod!

Man, you and your friends expect too much strength from human, human beings are weak, soft, and mortal, You can kill them with just about everything ... and you shouldn't talk about using knives to kill someone... there's no skill using knives or guns to kill someone, try to talk about using your hand to break someone's neck, and hell, you can even kill someone with a sharpen chopstick!
So of course you can kill someone with replica knives and swords....

Now about Replica and the real thing... we talk about "Quality" Oh, don't know what that means? look at this Video ----------> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2138979767659837843&q=home+shopping+network+knife&hl=en

So yes, you can kill someone with a copy, that guy almost killed himself! but then when you use a copy against the real thing... :jerkit::jerkit::jerkit:

The ultimate challeng? Talking someone to death? Now thats an art!

Actually you can :D:D If the other guy have High Blood Pressure :p:p

Did you watch Silent of the lamb? :D that doctor is able to talk someone to kill himself

Last edited:
Woh... Who knew this world was fill with such simple material that could kill you. I mean a even a wall hanger could do damage (i didnt even thought about that)...

If you think about it in terms of a stabbing weapon, most "replica's" come to a point. Given a little force and you have an impailed individual that won't be going home that night. I assume that you are talking about knives and swords that were made to copy a certain era blade. I have a few that a buddy bought and decided to sell for close to nothing. Believe me they are sharp and they come to a nasty point. I don't know how they would stand up to constant abuse but the point is it only takes a well place slash or stab to make someone meet his maker.:eek:

Many replica swords are so poorly made that the blades can fly out of the handles if you swing them. They might be fine for a few swings, and then break on another. The flying blade can kill someone if it hits them. Some dojos have banned these junk swords for this reason.

Even the worst stainless steel sword is a potentially deadly object because it has a sharp edge and a sharp point (even one that is dull could penetrate soft portions of human anatomy, such as the hollow of the throat). Such a sword is just as dangerous to the user as to anyone on whom he or she is contemplating using it, but it's still dangerous.

Even the worst stainless steel sword is a potentially deadly object because it has a sharp edge and a sharp point (even one that is dull could penetrate soft portions of human anatomy, such as the hollow of the throat). Such a sword is just as dangerous to the user as to anyone on whom he or she is contemplating using it, but it's still dangerous.

Yep.......

Some are made better than others but they are still swords.

Is a $50 Saturday night special any less dangerous than a $700 top shelf gun?

A hole is a hole......And I'm sure the person on the receiving end cares little about who made the gun or the sword for that matter. ;)

All swords can maim and kill, regardless of steel composition, quality of construction or heat treatment.

But quality swords are far more durable as combat weapons. They are usually constructed of non-stainless steels for toughness and then given optimal heat treatment. The result should be a blade which is flexible and highly resistant to breakage on impact. Such a sword will be hard enough to hold an edge but not so hard as to be brittle. This applies to replicas as well as originals.

The problem with stainless steels is they become brittle when hardened. Presently, most stainless steels lack the toughness for use as swords. INFI could be one exception. It is claimed to be more corrosion resistant than ATS34 which is classified as martensitic stainless. The Busse AK47 is a short sword made of INFI and it is both hard and tough.

Some of the junk sword designs I've seen would be just as dangerous to the user and anyone around them if they were made in carbon steel. For example, one had a very short tang with thin rod welded to it to make it "full tang" and the rod was threaded to the pommel.

The other side of the coin, you don't get many murders or retard attacks with the real thing because the owner knows its real value.

Why use something expensive such as a well made hunting knife when for a couple of bucks a fleamarket hunter will do the trick or mum's can cutting cutlery. This is the predominant issue in the developed world (in Africa it tends towards Pangas). Even then they often fail to get the job done.

The fleamarket kit rarely is reliable. As a teenager I hankered after one of those Ranbo type do it all knives. Never managed to get one and the only one I saw in action injured the owner by a detatched blade doinging a return to sender. I don't think I would ever feel happy using a fleamarket blade as an emergency back up or defence. The wealthy used to go for the best blades that they could afford because blade failure tended to be terminally embarrasing in a conflict situation. In addition when you hit some one you wanted him to stay down.

Most of us would, if faced with an adversary armed with blade and several bottles of courage would walk away, or run. I can not see any justification in owing one of these for decor or defense. They are tatty, unreliable and dangerous to wielder.

Here in the USA some of us have other means of defense against assailant
armed with knife......

I'm not sure I understand what the original poster means by "replica"
I have some "replica" weapons. I have a Dane axe based on the peterson type c IIRC. I have an axe based on the axe found in the Mammon dig. I have a bearded hand axe. All of these are well made out of quality steels with ash handles. They are absolutly as lethal and durable as the ones the norsemen carried into battle. I have a mace based on an Iberian find made out of a decent tool steel with an ash haft. Again, brutaly effective.
I have a custom made norse sax made out of a steel similar to 1095 with a differentialy heat treated edge and a horn grip. Any "viking" would have been proud to own it.
I have two older Del Tin swords- one an Irish ring hilted design and my pride and joy, the tenth cent. viking sword my wee daughter gave me. Both made from CK 55 Krupp steel. Both have and hold an edge well. Both flex and return well. I know full contact live steel folks who use these swords with a rebated edge and they do quite well.
I also have a Cold Steel Kukri (not the machete, the knife) It is not a "real" Kukri, but Cold Steels interpritation of one. I have a SOG Super Bowie- this is one of SOGs interpretations of the untracable knives developed and made for the MACVSOG operatives in Vietnam. It is not an original, therefore a "replica"?
Any of the above mentioned weapons can kill. Any of these weapons would function as well or better than the originals they are based on for the conditions they were used under.
Like I said, the same models by the same makers of all of the medieval weapons I own are used by reenactors in FULL CONTACT live steel combat. They hold up just fine. What then makes them inferior?
Now, if you are taling about the tin foil, stainless, fantasy, world of warcrack, mall ninja crap that floods the market, that stuff is absolutly inferior in every way. However, they will still absolutly cut flesh and pierce organs, though they may bend or snap in the process. They however are replicate nothing and are fantasy based designs with no thought towards practicality in manufacture, therefore they can't be called replicas.
Peace
John

Some of the junk sword-like objects are replicas of actual swords. I've seen flea market stores selling cheap knock-offs of various Hanwei katana and some Windlass European swords, for example. Most had no edges, but they had points so they could still stab.

"Some of the junk sword-like objects are replicas of actual swords. I've seen flea market stores selling cheap knock-offs of various Hanwei katana and some Windlass European swords, for example. Most had no edges, but they had points so they could still stab."

Good point- I stand corrected!
peace
John

Think of how deadly native Americans were with a tomahawk, which is effectively a sharpened rock teathered to a stick. So yeah, my bet is that even a cheapo sword or knife can cause severe or lethal injury. Where a cheapo would fail, however, would be under prolonged combat scenarios where there would be parrying, blocks from shields, and strikes against armor. Only a well-crafted blade can endure such abuse, and even good blades can still snap on occasion.

When deciding what can kill a person, pretty much anything will do the trick. From your fist, to a steel toe boot, a beer bottle, fireplace poker, 2x4, hammer, pool ball in a sock... you get the idea. Remember that revolting peasants overthrew monarchies using only the most basic of farm tools, and feudal Japan saw poor farmers train to use simple objects to combat armored soldiers. Hell, David used a rock in a sling to kill Goliath. So a crummy piece of stanless steel could certainly be lethal. Not durable, mind you, but lethal all the same.

Back