Real quick question Classic vs Rambler

Was just about to purchase another Victorinox Classic until I remembered the Rambler and wondered, really, why would one buy a Classic over the Rambler when you can get the added benefit of a bottle opener & phillips driver that the Rambler offers in the same size package? That leads to my real question though...is the Rambler really the same exact size as the Classic? I know they are the same length, but is the Rambler a bit wider due to the extra tool? If so, by how much?

Thanks in advance

The Rambler is a little thicker (not by much but it is noticeable). One thing to consider if you are going to carry it with your keys - the blade and scissors on the Rambler open opposite the split ring so it's easier to use these without having to remove it from from your keychain.

The Rambler is a little thicker (not by much but it is noticeable). One thing to consider if you are going to carry it with your keys - the blade and scissors on the Rambler open opposite the split ring so it's easier to use these without having to remove it from from your keychain.

Yep. The Rambler's a bit thicker. But those extra tools, and the way the blade opens away from your keys mean it's definitely worth the "extra weight."

It's approximately 1/16" thicker than the Classic SD - not a big difference.

classicsd-rambler.jpg

I remembered the Rambler and wondered, really, why would one buy a Classic over the Rambler when you can get the added benefit of a bottle opener & phillips driver that the Rambler offers in the same size package?

Thanks in advance

Well for one thing, you can't find a rambler instantly at any Target or Walmart for 9.95. Plus they don't have boxes of ramblers at gun shows for as low as 2 dollars a piece for TSA confications. On top of that, I haven't found anything a rambler can do that I can't do with a classic by using my head. The classic sd tip works well on most small phillips, and for the real tiny ones like snugging up sunglasses screws, I just use the tip of one of the tweezers tines to snug up the loose screw untill I can just feel the tweezer tip flex a bit. Add to that, I've carried a classic so many years now, I can feel where each blade is, I'm so used to it. If I have to open a bottle, the sd tip does the job very well, just takes an added 10 seconds. The classic fits my leather sheath I made for it with my initials burned into the leather like a cattle brand.

And like said, I can get another one at the very next Target i come to while on a trip that I've flown on with carry on luggage. I can give it away to non nife people who don't have a knife because I can replace it so fast and cheaply. It's the ultimate in minimal approach.

You make a good point Jackknife. I grew up in a house where we used one screwdriver for everything. 90 degrees for slotted screws, 45 degrees for phillips. I love my Rambler, but I appreciate your love for the classic sd and your posts about them have influenced my desire to be a little more minimal. I appreciate that little phillips driver though. :)

As someone known to enjoy a nice bottled beverage from time to time, I feel levering off the cap on a beer bottle with whatever's at hand is akin to gouging open a package with a key: It works, I guess. But aren't we a bit more evolved than that? :) Someone grab me a cold Pilsner Urquell and make mine a Rambler -- every time.

Thanks guys, especially for the photos so I can really see the difference, that was awesome. I too appreciate the Classic, however, my own common sense tells me that two (three even) extra tools is way worth the 1/16th of an inch of space it takes up. So, while I still have love for the Classic, I'm going to have to jump on the Rambler boat. Now if I can only figure out what color I want...

I vote Rambler . The #1 magnetized phillips is very handy , ditto the bottle opener . The weight and bulk difference is indiscernable .

Chris

Well for one thing, you can't find a rambler instantly at any Target or Walmart for 9.95. Plus they don't have boxes of ramblers at gun shows for as low as 2 dollars a piece for TSA confications...

The Classic SD is hard to beat when it comes to price and availability.

classicsd-value.jpg

That is sooo cool. New in the tube for a great price! :thumbup:

Where do I sign up?

Drive to the middle of nowhere and then drive to its outskirts. There you'll find a little shop and the owner's wife and her dog will greet you when you walk in the door. Send me an email when you're in town - I have cold beer in the fridge.

i only know about the Rambler because i picked one up with a bunch of Classic variants in a bin most likely from TSA confiscations

they were all the same price

that Phillips is the perfect size for Apple laptops. they seem to have a little loctite or something from the factory, so the real fit is nice

the Classic is, well, a classic though. i remember an amazon review that said something to the effect of "life would be a lot easier if everyone on earth was issued one at birth"

i totally agree :)

Drive to the middle of nowhere and then drive to its outskirts. There you'll find a little shop and the owner's wife and her dog will greet you when you walk in the door. Send me an email when you're in town - I have cold beer in the fridge.
But bring a Rambler so you can open those beers. ;)

I can give it away to non nife people who don't have a knife ...

Good point.

While I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Rambler convert -- a Ramblin' man, if you will :cool: -- most non knife knuts could care less about the extra phillips screwdriver and caplifter. My dad was a dentist and never carried knife until 10 years or so ago, when I bought him a Classic. He's had one on his keychain ever since. He loves 'em. In fact, thanks to the TSA, I've had the opportunity to replace his more than once. "Dad, what do you want for Father's Day?"

"Well, when I went to Chicago, I had my knife confiscated at the airport." :)

One time I asked him how often he used the screwdriver tip on the nail file. He looked at me puzzled. I asked to see his knife and showed it to him. He uses the file all the time but never even realized that bunt end was a screwdriver. So Dad's a great example of a lot of Classic owners. To him, it's just a handy tool he can put on his key ring and forget about till he needs to trim a string on a sweater, open a package, clip off a hangnail, whatever.

To him, it's just a handy tool he can put on his key ring and forget about till he needs to trim a string on a sweater, open a package, clip off a hangnail, whatever.

Isn't that what most people do with a pocket knife?

I think thats why I sort of fell out of love with the bigger sak's; I just don't find the tools that needed. Most of the tiime I go reaching for my pocket knife, it's because I have to cut something. I think I can really count on one hand the amount of times I really needed any of those tools on the hiker or tinker I used to carry. On the rare occasion I did, any small flat screwdriver like tool would have done. I think in 30 years, I used a saw twice.

I guess thats why I went minimal, I just wasn't using the extra stuff enough to justify the bulk and weight. Wood chisels and fish scalers? Metal files and hack saws?

After a while it gets to be more fantacy than real life. The original sak, the soldier, had it about right. More than that and it gets into the relm of 'what if' too much.

True. But if you're reading this forum, you're probably not "most people." :D

I think I can really count on one hand the amount of times I really needed any of those tools on the hiker or tinker I used to carry. On the rare occasion I did, any small flat screwdriver like tool would have done.

I use the little phili-head s'driver on my Rambler a lot - mainly tweaking harmonicas and working on my kids' toys (opening 'em up to replace batteries, etc.).

The original sak, the soldier, had it about right.

Sure can't argue with that, my friend.

I think thats why I sort of fell out of love with the bigger sak's; I just don't find the tools that needed. Most of the tiime I go reaching for my pocket knife, it's because I have to cut something. I think I can really count on one hand the amount of times I really needed any of those tools on the hiker or tinker I used to carry. On the rare occasion I did, any small flat screwdriver like tool would have done. I think in 30 years, I used a saw twice.

I guess thats why I went minimal, I just wasn't using the extra stuff enough to justify the bulk and weight. Wood chisels and fish scalers? Metal files and hack saws?

After a while it gets to be more fantacy than real life. The original sak, the soldier, had it about right. More than that and it gets into the relm of 'what if' too much.

i couldn't tell you how many branches i've cut with the saw on my Swisschamp. trimming the tree outside my office so i can walk down the stairs without ducking, or cutting back the tree over my driveway, or trimming a branch so it will fit in the back of my truck. i've even used it to cut a hole in drywall at a friend's house pulling cable. i watched my uncle do the same thing at my house when i was younger.

other than the fish scaler(not counting the ruler, which i've used plenty), i'd say i've used every tool on the thing for something at some point in the roughly 17 years that i've carried one. not having to run home, or to my office, or inside for tools has saved me who knows how much time over the years

Back