Really cool pocket coin dispenser/holder

I really hate carrying change in my pocket so I avoid carrying loose coins whenever possible. I use my credit card or debit card wherever I can, but sometimes you need to pay cash for things (McDonalds, vending machines etc.) and that means either you have the exact change with you, or you get coins back in return.

Since I am a gadget freak like everyone else here, I have tried to find the coolest gadget to carry coins in my pocket. I have tried coin purses and the like, but they just seem too big, heavy, and unorganized. I like to have my coins sorted so I don't have to pick through them to make change. After a searcing for a while on the web, I found the "Chawly Changer" at http://www.coindispenser.com/. It is very small (approx. 2 1/4" by 2" by .6") and holds 3 Quarters, 3 Nickels, 4 Dimes, and 4 Pennies ($1.34) which is not a whole lot of money, but enough to always have the exact change. Plus, whenever you do get change back, you can just slide the coins into the proper slot, no more jingling change.

I ordered five of them late last week and they arrived today, I am very impressed. The coins are held in the dispenser very well and do not "shake out" in your pocket. The dispensers cost only $4.95 plus $1.05 shipping for any size order. I knew that they would be great, but I reserved posting until I actually received the dispensers and could vouch for them firsthand.

So, what do most people here use to carry change? Does anyone have one of these or something similar?

Also, I am looking for a larger dispenser along the same lines for paying tolls and parking meters. If anyone knows where I can find a larger coin dispenser, please let me know.

Many thanks,

Bucky

[This message has been edited by Bucky (edited 02-08-2001).]

Really neat gadget -- nice website, too. I like the basic idea, but ...

I carry a small zippered pouch, 3" x 4.5" with bills folded in half, credit and ID cards and small change. Fits in any pocket almost invisibly. Even when I take it out to pay for something, people don't always recognize it as a "wallet". (The one I'm using lately has stylized dinosaurs on it!)

It's real easy to get change out and back into it, too.

Do they still make those chrome changemaker thingys that the ice cream man used to wear on his belt when I was a kid?

Personally I like those leather coin purses that look like an aperture on a camere and you squeeze to open. I carry mine in my back pocket with no problem.

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

Sorry, Brock, I got it at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. They used to carry them from time to time. I haven’t been there in a while, so I don’t know now. My sister worked for a company that gave them out, with their name on it, so I got one of theirs, too.

craigz, I’m sure they do make those ice cream truck changers, because the drivers on NJ Transit buses use them.

Hoodoo, those are neat, but the ones I’ve seen wouldn’t last long, unless I treated them with more care than that! I used to carry one for subway tokens. The ones I’ve seen lately are really cheap leather, and glued together.

Back