Really Liking the Thrill

Wavicle

Gold Member
So far I really like the Thrill. It started with a Blue Titanium model and after experiencing the quality and execution of lionSTEEL's manufacturing on them I had to try an aluminum model to see the weight and spring tension difference. Again, the aluminum models are equally impressive. The anodizing is top-quality and I am really impressed with the smooth slip-joint action on both models. And that hide-away pocket clip works great on jeans, wool dress pants, and khakis. I'll EDC these over an Impinda any day.

49589597923_b80f82d46a_b.jpg

49590089721_78a432edcd_b.jpg

49590330642_ee6fe7b72a_b.jpg

49589367323_9ab7b4f9b3_b.jpg

49563224742_ef398137d4_b.jpg

49569569227_e4a131288f_b.jpg

49571539327_ec2740753f_b.jpg

Great pics, thanks for posting them! I'm really torn between Al and Ti models. What is your wisdom, is Ti worth the extra money?

I almost always prefer titanium over any other material due to its durability and unique anodizing which produces the apparent colors. However, after having both versions of the Thrill I prefer the light weight of the aluminum models. The lionSTEEL anodizing on the aluminum is excellent and the spring action is identical to the titanium, which is outstanding in both cases.

So even though the titanium costs more, the aluminum solid frame creates the perfect folder-- and you get the same M390 blade.

Thanks for that perspective. I kind of wanted to buy a Ti model, but couldn't quite see how it made sense. It looks like the Al one has an insert to make it stiffer? Or am i seeing things?

There is no difference. Both have a steel insert where the blade tang rotates on the spring and that insert appears to be the same. The steps in the internal milling to create the back spring looks the same but it must be different to get the correct tension for the different metals.

I realize now, I was seeing the gap on either side of the spring in the pic of the orange one above. My red one came. It is a very nice knife, but the difference in feel on your hand between Al and Ti is huge, at least comparing to MKM Fara Ti, the closest comparison I have.

Looks really nice and integral with fancy new clip. Great knife even with the meh blade steel. May pick one up.question once clip is pushed open can it also be angled (tipped) up to open a lil more to allow pocket edge to get in?

Yes, there is a little play in the mechanism and flex in the clip to allow decent clearance, ~3 mm, probably most jeans pockets - just guessing

I am still liking the Thrill and added the gray titanium model a month or so ago. And I still have my eye on the bronze model, but a few other sharp things have taken priority.

50919491351_eef2be0aa1_b.jpg

Back