Reate Knives 2018 high-end knife: Baby Machine(Coming soon)

Our New models Baby Machine which designed by Tashi Bharucha are coming soon.
We are supposed to finish them in the middle of March 2018.
We would like to share the details about this model here with you.

Specification:
Ceramic ball bearing system
3-D machined Titanium handle Blade Length:3.26"
Blade Thickness:0.157"
Overall Length:7.43"
Hardness:60-61HRC
Handle Material:6AL4V Titanium
Blade Material:Damateel-RWL34/Damasteel
Weight:4.00 oz
Locking:Frame Lock Blade finish:Satin finish/Damasteel
Handle finish:Bead blast/Blue

Here are some photos of Baby Machine.

IMG_8995-1.jpg

IMG_8998-1.jpg

IMG_9018-1.jpg

IMG_9033-1.jpg

IMG_9035-1.jpg

IMG_9017-1.jpg

Reate Knives would like to talk a little bit about one important technique—Freeze Edging Skill.

As the final process for a blade, edging has a great effect on the performance of the knives, after all, the edge part is the main function area when using a knife. Normally, edging is operated on a high-speed running grinding wheel or grinding belt, which produces a very high temperature. Without a cooling system, the temperature on the edge goes up instantly to hundreds of centigrade, when it gets worse, it will burn and leave heat marks on the blade. Tempering or even annealing will happen on area of the edge where the temperature increasing instantly. It will harm the hardness and durability of the blade. That’s why some knives passing the hardness standard test but still easily get worn in actual use.

Reate Knives are using the freeze edging technique. During grinding, the temperature on the edge is controlled in a certain level of degree, which helps keep the hardness after the heat treating. Therefore, the sharpness and durability of the blade are assured. This helps bring the performance of the material to the best.

Thank you very much for your time.

Reate Knives Team.

Last edited:
Hi Reate team, your photo's are not visible! You probably have to upgrade your Photobucket account to a payed account as they no longer allow free accounts to use "3rd party hosting".

Hi Reate team, your photo's are not visible! You probably have to upgrade your Photobucket account to a payed account as they no longer allow free accounts to use "3rd party hosting".
Yup, what he said. Also Imgur seems to work well without the fees Photobucket wants. Can't wait to see new knives!

That front groove looks like the perfect size for 1.5 fingers :)

That front groove looks like the perfect size for 1.5 fingers :)

Sounds perfect - depending if your half finger is cut vertically or horizontally.

I wish they had used M390 or CTS-204P instead of RWL34.........

Fortunately I don't like any of his designs. Saves me money for other Reates.

I really don't understand the issues some people are claiming to have with the RWL34... It is a genuine premium steel and has excellent edge retention (with Reate's heat tread 60-61HRC) and corrosion resistance. I'm willing to bet a nice sum that even in a pretty hard testing environment (which this kind of folders generally never have to face anyway) there is NO real noticeable difference with other premium steels. Reate would not use it if it wasn't that great and it's also the preferred choice of Tashi. Think about it; he has the final say in this and he chose this steel...

I really don't understand the issues some people are claiming to have with the RWL34... It is a genuine premium steel and has excellent edge retention (with Reate's heat tread 60-61HRC) and corrosion resistance. I'm willing to bet a nice sum that even in a pretty hard testing environment (which this kind of folders generally never have to face anyway) there is NO real noticeable difference with other premium steels. Reate would not use it if it wasn't that great and it's also the preferred choice of Tashi. Think about it; he has the final say in this and he chose this steel...

It's not a "bad" steel - it's just not as good as other newer steels.

Our customers are the ones that have the final say. Do you really think we are saying stuff like "don't buy this knife because it has this blade steel" ? We put out the specs and everyone makes their own choices. We do give the customer feedback to the knife companies though.

I lost a sale the other day on a Liong Mah XV because he uses S35VN. I offered the customer a discount and a free tube of Nano Oil. He still wouldn't buy it because of the blade steel.

Most knife consumers don't want M390 and other super steels because they need the improved edge retention over great steels like RWL-34.
But they still want the M390 and that's all that really matters.
At a certain price-point, consumers look for the most premium steels. The perception is that RWL-34 is a step behind M390.

It's not a "bad" steel - it's just not as good as other newer steels.

Our customers are the ones that have the final say. Do you really think we are saying stuff like "don't buy this knife because it has this blade steel" ? We put out the specs and everyone makes their own choices. We do give the customer feedback to the knife companies though.

I lost a sale the other day on a Liong Mah XV because he uses S35VN. I offered the customer a discount and a free tube of Nano Oil. He still wouldn't buy it because of the blade steel.

I also really wish Liong Mah would use M390/CTS204P/20CV... or Elmax.

Most knife consumers don't want M390 and other super steels because they need the improved edge retention over great steels like RWL-34.
But they still want the M390 and that's all that really matters.
At a certain price-point, consumers look for the most premium steels. The perception is that RWL-34 is a step behind M390.

I think the big reason why is that price point. At $300-$500, buyers don't really see a need to settle for less than the current bleeding-edge materials.

I also really wish Liong Mah would use M390/CTS204P/20CV... or Elmax.

I think the big reason why is that price point. At $300-$500, buyers don't really see a need to settle for less than the current bleeding-edge materials.

I badgered Liong about that steel issue until I think he was getting the shits with me. Sorry Liong :)

Vanax is another new steel Bohler are pushing and so far I've only seen Shiro using it as "Vanax 37" - but it's hard to keep up with it all these days.

Pictures updated.
Thank you for you guys patience. And thanks a lot for Ture Talon's help.

Back