1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Reate Knives----Torrent

Discussion in 'Reate Knives' started by ReaTe, Nov 19, 2015.

1. ReaTe

ReaTe

Feb 15, 2014
    Reate's new item "Torrent" finally comes out. Here are some brief introduction of Torrent.

Torrent

Manual open, Multi-row ball bearing system 3-D machined Titanium handle

Specification :
    Open Length: 8.5”
    Blade length:3.6”
    Closed length:4.85”
    Blade thickness:0.157”
    Blade material:M390
    Blade material hardness:61HRC
    Handle material:6AL4V
    Weight:175g
    Open type : flipper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reate Knives would like to talk a little bit about one important technique—Freeze Edging Skill

As the final process for a blade, edging has a great effect on the performance of the knife, after all, the edge part is the main function area when using a knife. Normally, edging is operated on a high-speed running grinding wheel or grinding belt, which produces a very high temperature. Without a cooling system, the temperature on the edge goes up instantly to hundreds of centigrade, when it gets worse, it will burn and leave heat marks on the blade. Tempering or even annealing will happen on area of the edge where the temperature increasing instantly. It will harm the hardness and durability of the blade. That’s why some knives pass the hardness standard test but easily get worn in actual use.

Reate Knives use the freeze edging technique. During grinding, the temperature on the edge is controlled in a certain level of degree, which helps keep the hardness after the heat treating. Therefor, the sharpness and durability of the blade are assured. This helps bring the performance of the material to the best.

Thank you very much for your time.

2. Chris Larrikin

Chris Larrikin

Jul 19, 2012
    I have liked the look of all of your work but this blows the others away. Really beautiful. I will have to give this some serious consideration when we can import flippers here in Australia.

3. dingy

dingy

Feb 19, 2008
    do you have other blade steels optional , reate?

i live in Chong Qing , how about local price of your torrent ?

BTW : great pics :thumbup:

4. ReaTe

ReaTe

Feb 15, 2014
    Hi,we also have Damasteel blade for Torrent,the regular productions is $375,damasteel version is $525.Anything I can do for you please contact me [email protected]
    Thank you for your support.

Reate Knives
    Shera Feng

5. Scar556

Scar556

Aug 5, 2015
    This thing is beautiful! Does anyone have any hands on experience with it?

6. Muet d'hiver

Muet d'hiver

Jul 11, 2015
    Yes, it's a great folder, and it flips like the dream. Actually, i think it's the best flipping knife I have.

7. SharpDressedKnives

SharpDressedKnives

May 23, 2015
    Easily one of my favorite knives. The flipping action is outstanding and the machine work is way above its pay grade. I liked it so much I bought two. Left one stock as a user and had the other customized by Socalknifeworks.

[​IMG]

8. SurfisLove

SurfisLove

Apr 25, 2012
    I like pretty much everything about it except for the Reate oversized pivot collar thing. I really hope they move away from that in the future like they have with some of their other knives.

9. mycough

mycough

May 20, 2007
    A little off topic, I chose the horizon cf over this knife and it has been a game changer. I sold 4 similar sized knives as this in my mind the ultimate large flipper. Fits my hand so well, not too heavy, rugged, and M390 is a fabulous all around etc steel.
    Good edge retention, tough enough for a folder, and stain resistant.
    I had an earlier horizon, my son has been abusing it for about a year, the s35vn touches up well and other than scuffing the knife holds up like a champ.
    These guys make nice stuff, I trust their QC more than many of my old go to knife companies.
    Russ

10. Thorien

Thorien

Feb 29, 2016
    Just bought and received my first Reate Knife, went with the Torrent and so glad I did, this is such a fabulously well made knife. Pics tomorrow! :)

11. Thorien

Thorien

Feb 29, 2016
    I'm gobsmacked at how good this beauty is. Fit and finish is excellent and it's smooth as anything. I have to say a huge thanks to James and Ash @ Twisted Assisted for their great customer service. Received the very next day after purchase and they put up really well with all my noob questions. A couple of quick phone pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really looking forward to Reates' new offerings next year.

12. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Do those large blade stops get in the way when sharpening? Seems like if they were removed (like a thumbstud) then then the blade would swing past fully open. So is this an issue with sharpening?

13. Thorien

Thorien

Feb 29, 2016
    I use a Spyderco SharpMaker and have no issues at all. Not sure about any other system though?

14. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Thanks for the reply. If you care to elaborate, I guess the stops are either far enough back or low enough not to hit the rods?

15. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    My guess is that you can touch up the edge at a relatively steep angle without hitting the stops. I would also guess that if you were to lower the angle to reprofile then you'd bang into the stops when sharpening the heel of the blade. I'd love to hear more feedback if anyone has it.
    Honestly those external stops are a bit of an eyesore in what is otherwise a gorgeous design, IMO. I still want one.

16. Thorien

Thorien

Feb 29, 2016
    Not sure I follow, when using the sharp maker the rods are angled but I keep the knife vertical all the time so the stops are no where near the rods. Basically they are set far enough back to not worry about.

17. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Great thanks, I'll save up for one :)