Received my Manix 2 LW - I'm Impressed

Well, that was fast. Just scored an orange Manix LW in S90V. Now here comes the waiting.

I picked up a Manix 2 LW in CTS-XHP a while back. Didn't expect to like it as much as I do, but found myself carrying it more due to the lighter weight.

4 things could make the knife perfect in my opinion, in order of importance:

1) Round off the edges of the scales more. Look at a Delica/Endura for reference.
2) Screw construction.
3) Change the ridges to grooves. Again look at the Delica/Endura for reference.
4) FRN instead of FRCP. Purely personal, but I prefer the feel of FRN over FRCP. FRCP feels more "plasticky" for lack of a better word.

Regardless, the Manix 2 LW is a good knife for the money. When I want to carry something bigger than my Delica it is usually the knife I grab. If all Spyderco did was round off the edges of the scales more it would go a long ways to improving it.

I picked up a Manix 2 LW in CTS-XHP a while back. Didn't expect to like it as much as I do, but found myself carrying it more due to the lighter weight.

4 things could make the knife perfect in my opinion, in order of importance:

1) Round off the edges of the scales more. Look at a Delica/Endura for reference.
2) Screw construction.
3) Change the ridges to grooves. Again look at the Delica/Endura for reference.
4) FRN instead of FRCP. Purely personal, but I prefer the feel of FRN over FRCP. FRCP feels more "plasticky" for lack of a better word.

Regardless, the Manix 2 LW is a good knife for the money. When I want to carry something bigger than my Delica it is usually the knife I grab. If all Spyderco did was round off the edges of the scales more it would go a long ways to improving it.

My thoughts exactly.

My CS exclusive showed up today. It's orange FRCP and the blade is S90V.

My first impression, while the knife looks fantastic, the scale just feels cheap. I'm splitting hairs, but the FRCP feels brittle and cheap. FRN feels more malleable in hand and like it will wear much better.

In real life, I'm sure both perform almost identical but perception is reality and so far, it just feels cheap in hand.

I'm in for a penny however so I'm going to carry and use this before I pass final judgment. Worse case, I pass it on and it's no longer new in box.

I'll update in a few days.

Rolled on a solo camping trip last weekend, the weather was perfect and the company even better.

The Manix was my folder for the trip and the weight was fantastic. The overall size of the knife and it's virtual feather weight made it ideal for a hiking camping trip.

I only used it for camp chores and food preparation but I have no concerns that this knife wouldn't handle anything you'd expect a Spyderco folder to handle.

That said, I still dislike FRCP. It just feels brittle in hand. It also seems to create hot spots but that might just be me or it might be that the scales would be better with a rounded profile.

Overall this is a very good Spyderco. In my opinion, better than G10 Manix 2 due to the lower weight making it easier to carry. The FRCP is the only draw back in my opinion and ultimately, it might be a deal breaker for me.

That said, I'd love to see a version of this in FRN. I have no doubt that would be a keeper.

My wife appropriated my S110v Manix 2 (G10), so I just bought a LW model in BD1 on the exchange as a replacement.

Can't wait for it to get here on Thurs. it's the black handle, DLC version.

...Overall this is a very good Spyderco. In my opinion, better than G10 Manix 2 due to the lower weight making it easier to carry. The FRCP is the only draw back in my opinion....I'd love to see a version of this in FRN....

I agree! I have no interest in the heavier G-10 version. While the FRCP isn’t a deal breaker for me, I also prefer the feel of FRN. Now that I think of it, one of the online vendors has a special run linerless G-10 Native, right? Might be interesting if they tried the same with a Manix.

I would still like a regular production LW with an XHP blade.

I was lucky enough to grab one of the LE XHP models. Even by Spyderco standards the thing was insanely sharp out of the box. Mind boggling sharp.

I have a lot of favorite Spyderco models, but the Manix 2 Lightweight is in my Top 5. The ergos, bi directional grip, lack of weight, lock and wire clip really check all of the boxes.

Ya know... I was just thinking the same thing.;)

Back