Recent Benchmade Quality?

Bought a 3300 infidel from the factory store, grinds are good, tips even and centered, however my blade edge runs against the inside of the case opening when deploying. I don’t obsessively deploy and retract, it’s not wear, as soon as I noticed I put it up. There is inherent blade play in this design but this is extreme, sent it in to Benchmade and supposedly Corrected the issue. They said it was “A flaw and not misuse” Got it back still rubs but not as bad. I carried a 3350 For a decade without a single issue.

I think they will mail you new springs but with the blade play I would send it back at least to Benchmade for warranty.

Update since receiving my Bugout on 7/9/2020. Arrived with horizontal blade-play. Today an omega spring gave.

What an utter garbage-tier waste of $130. They've lost my business for the foreseeable future.

Where did you get that knife? Looks like a possible fake.

Where did you get that knife? Looks like a possible fake.

This specific knife was from a well-known online retailer named after a river. May you point out what seems wrong with it? If so, I can ask for a refund or dispute with them.

Edit: Obviously if this was a fake, then no hard feelings. But if not then I definitely feel disgruntled by the brand.

This specific knife was from a well-known online retailer named after a river. May you point out what seems wrong with it? If so, I can ask for a refund or dispute with them.

Edit: Obviously if this was a fake, then no hard feelings. But if not then I definitely feel disgruntled by the brand.

They are one of the worst when it comes to fakes. Especially if you got it from a 3rd party seller using the river site to sell their wares. People also have a tendency to get a fake, order a real version, then swap them and return it for a refund. Sad but true.

I am not going to give details which would help the fakers but if you want to send it in we can confirm the authenticity. If it is a fake it will be destroyed.

Hmmm... I can see one thing right away if I compare it to "Nick Shabazz's" teardown video on YT. Nice side shot similar to yours starting at 2:54:

They are one of the worst when it comes to fakes. Especially if you got it from a 3rd party seller using the river site to sell their wares. People also have a tendency to get a fake, order a real version, then swap them and return it for a refund. Sad but true.
I experienced that exact issue, box checked out with company but the knife was an obvious flea market bargain bucket fake. Company name was misspelled.

How are factory edges looking now in 2021 production? Didn't bought BM in 3 years from dealer, because of that roulette with QC and high, uneven bevels.

How are factory edges looking now in 2021 production? Didn't bought BM in 3 years from dealer, because of that roulette with QC and high, uneven bevels.
My Benchmades have all been great over the years, includng the grinds. You better stay away from Benchmade so you won't be annoyed. However, roulette odds run about 5% which leaves a lot of winners :)

Update since receiving my Bugout on 7/9/2020. Arrived with horizontal blade-play. Today an omega spring gave.

What an utter garbage-tier waste of $130. They've lost my business for the foreseeable future.

I've had well over 150 Benchmade knives and can assure you that omega springs breaking on the Bugout is not uncommon. I've had that happen on 3 Bugouts, and know others who have also only had broken omega springs on Bugouts. I realize that it's the same spring as on other knives, but something about the tension must be different.

I bought 2 Bugouts and a 945 this year. They were all very good, but they cannot seem to get a symmetrical edge grind. I have about 20 Benchmades now, and whatever other issues may pop up in them, uneven edge grinds are the most persistent. I also picked up a Hogue Deka and a Hogue Ritter -- those were very, very well done.

I've bought 8 new Benchmades this year. They all have been quite satisfactory, and I have no complaInts...

I bought an M4 Freek 3 months ago and a 535BK-4 yesterday. Fit and finish is what I expected for the price. The blades are centred and there’s no play. I’ve never broken an omega spring over the 20 years I’ve owned any axis lock knives. That said, it’s an easy fix if it happens. All moving parts can and will fail eventually. Some sooner than other.

Four Benchmades this year: a 940, a Mini Adamas, a 551 and a 551-1. All were excellent fit and finish except the plain Griptilian. The blade just slightly favors the show side but certainly isn't what I'd call a problem. I'm happy with all of them.

Bought a 575 and a 945 this year. Both were awesome QC wise and shaving sharp. Thankfully for me, I've never had an omega spring break. Been buying Benchmade since 2005.

Can't put the 945 down. That thing is awesome.

I love Benchmade knives. They feature beautiful designs, quality materials and top notch heat treatment. I've bought half a dozen in recent months. My only complaint has to do with what happens during their sharpening process.

--My mini Super Freek came with an edge grind so asymmetrical that at first I thought the tip was bent. Also, the sharpener left a ragged burr on the edge.

--The full size Super Freek was plain dull out of the box. It looked like the sharpener was so keen to avoid over sharpening near the choil that he never bothered to apex the knife.

--The 940 Osborne came with a recurve because the choil did not clear the plunge grind. I had to modify the heel of the blade with a dremel tool. Also the bevels were asymmetrical.

--The bailout came with crisp tanto geometry, but the sharpener never bothered to apex the knife.

--My S90V Bugout was symmetrically ground, but went dull quickly due to a burr.

--The Griptilian in 20CV was perfect.

These issues won't stop me from buying Benchmade products, but that's only because I maintain my own edges. I can imagine how some other customers may be sorely disappointed. Do people really send their knives in for "Life Sharp"?

My newest Benchmade is a Bailout 537GY-1, with M4 blade & aluminum handles. Got it in early 2021. Centering, grind, action and fit/finish were all great.

My recent disappointing experiences with Benchmade QC:

To their credit, I own 18 of their knives and only these two experiences were less than stellar. But still, out of a sample of 19 (including the one I returned), that's slightly over 10%. Contrast that to my 39 Spydercos (US, Jap, Taiwan) with no QC issues... :D

REI 940-1702 G10 EX "Osborne"

Ordered the REI 940 exclusive from their website. Had to return it to my local store because the texturing on one of the G10 scales was "missing" -- IOW it was like sanded down smooth and the other side was normally textured. Not cool for a $200+ knife.

570-1 "Presidio II"

Was fine except for the edge grind. The bevel was "ripply" like the blade had been chattering along a rotary grinder. Spent a good 90 minutes working it over properly with my Edge Pro Apex to get the bevel to where it should have been.

Back