Recent Discovery

Some of you guys may have already heard of this company, but it was a recent discovery for me. I took a chance on one I saw online that looked pretty good. Great Eastern Cutlery. They make 3 imprimateurs: Northfield Cutlery, Tidioute Cutlery, and Great Eastern. I got a Northfield 4.5" trapper. 1095 blades, half stops on the blades, spey and clip point, nickel silver bolsters and red jigged bone handles. I have to say, out of the thousands of knives I've owned, and the hundreds I currently own, this knife exhibits the best fit and finish, the best grinds, and the best attention to detail, along with the quality of build, of any factory (traditional) folders I've ever owned. Makes a joke out of Case, which has gone to merde in recent years, IMO. Plus, they're making my favorite pattern; the bullet trapper. The Tidioute and Northfield brands are 1095, while the Great Eastern is 440 stainless, I think. The walk and talk on my knife is perfect, and it may be the only one I've ever owned with perfect walk and talk, and zero side to side play. If I have one complaint, it's that the backsprings are too strong, and the knives are a bit hard to open but it's better than the sloppy crap you get from most companies (I'm looking at you, Case). I love them so much, I've got 3 more on order. Their prices beat anything in their quality range. It's nice to have an American company making great knives at good prices. I can really get behind this company, and as long as they maintain this level of quality, they'll have a loyal customer. I'd recommend you do, too. I don't think I've ever spoken up for a company on the forums before, but I was so impressed with what I got from GEC, I had to put this out there.

Warden, I think you will find a lot of GEC lovers here on BF! Their stuff is plain nice!

I was surprised at the quality of the Rough Rider whittler I received recently also. The blades came properly ground, fit and finish was fine except for a slightly proud main blade which ended up biting me. I stroked it a few licks on the strop and went to whittling a cat toy and it showed no damage and remained sharp. I think these new companies have heard the knife lovers call and will make Case and others have to toe the line on quality again.

Warden, I think you will find a lot of GEC lovers here on BF! Their stuff is plain nice!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one (although it would be nice if I didn't have to compete for the ones I like :D) I have two questions, though:

1. I know they're exceptionally well made, but having only owned mine for a very short time I don't know much about how they hold an edge. Any thoughts? (1095 and stainless versions)

2. How the heck do you pronounce Tidioute? (If you pronounce it the way it's spelled, it would seem to be more appropriate to yell at Mardi Gras).

warden, the carbon on my stag Liner Lock is keen and stays that way! The stainless on one of m'scout knives is also very sharp,but I have to admit I don't use that one much (just too heavy in the pocket for my needs) Can't say I agree with you about CASE knives though, my small Texas Jack in cv is a well loved well made user most certainly!

warden, the carbon on my stag Liner Lock is keen and stays that way! The stainless on one of m'scout knives is also very sharp,but I have to admit I don't use that one much (just too heavy in the pocket for my needs) Can't say I agree with you about CASE knives though, my small Texas Jack in cv is a well loved well made user most certainly!

I can only speak for myself, and only on the recently made stuff. It seems like it's made only for collecting, and not for using. I just remember when the Case knives I owned were heavier built and better made for using. But I don't want to flame on Case too much, and my opinion is just that, and my own.

Found the pronunciation for Tidioute...I was prounouncing it right, but now it sounds like something a Canadian would yell at Mardi Gras. :D

Last edited:
Found the pronunciation for Tidioute...I was prounouncing it right, but now it sounds like something a Canadian would yell at Mardi Gras. :D
Bwahahahaha... Made my afternoon. Thanks! :D

-- Sam

P.S. My Tidioute Beavertail Scout has been a great knife.

Damn GEC...they've wiped out my knife budget for the year. I had to order one of the stainless ones. So, at the end of this week, I'll own 7 GEC knives if Sooner State Knives's service holds to pattern. I'd never heard of them a week ago. :D All bullet trappers.:p:eek:

Got 2 more GEC Scouts in today...a green bone Tidioute and an aged bone Northfield. My Great Eastern stainless scout should be in tomorrow...and I after listening to all the comments, I ordered a Schatt & Morgan gunstock (my first S&M knife). I haven't been this excited in a loooong time about knives, but it's killing my budget. :D:eek:

Last edited:
I too think that GEC is exciting in a profound way. I am from Titusville, so i have both Queen/Shatt &Morgan and Great Eastern at VERY close proximity. It is a 5000 Person town which is the site of the first oil well. I feel that tradition deeply when I "unwrap" a new GEC and see and smell the tiny drops of oil on the shining blades straight from the birth-place of the oil industry.
YUMM

I've got my eye on a Tidioute equal end "Big Jack" in Burnt Grizzly Bone.

It looks great in the pictures I've seen.

I too think that GEC is exciting in a profound way. I am from Titusville, so i have both Queen/Shatt &Morgan and Great Eastern at VERY close proximity. It is a 5000 Person town which is the site of the first oil well. I feel that tradition deeply when I "unwrap" a new GEC and see and smell the tiny drops of oil on the shining blades straight from the birth-place of the oil industry.
YUMM

Case isn't too far from there either. Hmmm, I may have to take a little trip this summer . . .

Back