1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Recessed wall display for Arno Bernard collection

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by tasahbay716, Nov 24, 2019.

1. tasahbay716

tasahbay716

Nov 12, 2019
    Wanted to display my Arno Bernard knife collection and was bored this weekend, so I got out the dry wall zip cutter and went to work

Attached Files:

2. tasahbay716

tasahbay716

Nov 12, 2019
    A few hours later:

Attached Files:

3. tasahbay716

tasahbay716

Nov 12, 2019
    Then the next day:

Attached Files:

4. tasahbay716

tasahbay716

Nov 12, 2019
    Left a gap in the center for the double glass doors as the frame for the doors would cover about 6 inches. Then decided to just put one large sheet of plexiglass over the whole display and add another row of small knives down the center. This is complete without the plexiglass. This project was relatively easy (if you have a cooperative wife!!!) and the cost was much cheaper than the custom wall cases on the internet.

Attached Files:

5. Dirt

Dirt

Feb 20, 2007
    Now there's a sweet collection.

So what did she say about the hole in the wall? :eek:

cbach8tw likes this.
  6. tasahbay716

tasahbay716

Nov 12, 2019
    She helped me cut it!! Half of those are hers. Texas is a community property state you know.

woodysone and South paw draw like this.
  7. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Nice job!:thumbsup:

8. Glenn Goodlett

Glenn Goodlett Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Wow

9. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    My wife would ..............................[​IMG]

JJHollowman likes this.
  10. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Very nice display indeed. Good job!

11. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Nice, I never would have thought to cut out section of sheet rock. You could go really go on a room to make it a trophy room. :thumbsup:

12. tasahbay716

tasahbay716

Nov 12, 2019
    Yea, most houses have 16 inch centers on the studs so it makes it easy. You can cut out the center stud and have 32 inches between the two remaining studs. However in the project above, I ran into a brace and had to cut out more studs. This was a non-load bearing wall that actually supports nothing so I do not know why the builders put in such impressive bracing. The recessed display is a good use of space and makes the room look larger.

redcanoe likes this.
  13. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    What about insulation or hitting wires?

14. Eagle Scout

Eagle Scout

Mar 10, 2010
    Impressive. Thanks for sharing that project and the collection. :thumbsup:

15. tasahbay716

tasahbay716

Nov 12, 2019
    If use interior walls only, you will usually not run into insulation unless the builder used insulation in an interior wall for sound suppression purposes. Most wiring for wall plugs is "daisy chained" by running the wiring through the studs down low from plug to plug, but you do need to be careful about the wiring. In my case, this project was opposite the kitchen and I had already remodeled the kitchen and knew where the wiring was located. For wiring precautions, I would turn off the breakers and use a rotating zip bit with the depth set to the thickness of the dry wall.

16. number9

number9

Mar 5, 2017
    Looks great. In the second picture, it appears you have a similar process as me. By the time the job's done, every tool I own is involved and out.

Sharp & Fiery and marchone like this.
  17. tasahbay716

tasahbay716

Nov 12, 2019
    Yea, and that is just the tools that got in the picture. The air compressor, nail guns, etc are on the floor. You would have thought I was remodeling the whole house to build a 48 x 36 display.

number9 and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  18. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    Awesome display! I am also an Arno Bernard fan. Excellent collection.

19. redcanoe

redcanoe Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Great collection , fantastic display

20. Dirt

Dirt

Feb 20, 2007
    Sounds like a keeper. Will you introduce us?:rolleyes: