Recommend a high end present knife... my brother already has Wusthof

My brother, the chef of the family, has Wusthof knives. Not sure what set but the knives he has were a bridal shower gift. I believe Wusthof are: X50CrMoV15 which from what I read... are stain resistant but not edge holders? Maybe I should go the high carbon or ZDP sandwich route?

Anyway... make some suggestions. Also, if I end up buying a $250 knife, what's the one you guys use the most in the kitchen? He's the fancy cook... I'm more of a microwave kind of guy.

I recently found the cooking knives version of bladeforums. Look over at the forums and customer reviews at chefknivestogo.com. I just bought a Richmond Artifex 210mm Gyuto. Great knife.

At the same site, see Konosuke HD2 Wa-Gyuto 240mm or Ultimatum M390. There are just too many good mid-end kitchen knives to choose from, like asking which fancy sedan car to get. And yes, there are plenty of vendors to buy from...

Shuns are awesome knives... I don't know a Chef that would ever turn down having a Shun... They're great blades and stay shaving sharp a long time...

For $250.00, I would get a gyuto/chef's knife and pick from among several makers. Depends on what you're after...carbon, stainless, lots of belly, no belly, silly thin, not so silly thin....more criteria/wants would help narrow it down.

Shuns are awesome knives... I don't know a Chef that would ever turn down having a Shun... They're great blades and stay shaving sharp a long time...

I know lots that refuse to use them. :)

My brother, the chef of the family, has Wusthof knives. Not sure what set but the knives he has were a bridal shower gift. I believe Wusthof are: X50CrMoV15 which from what I read... are stain resistant but not edge holders? Maybe I should go the high carbon or ZDP sandwich route?

Anyway... make some suggestions. Also, if I end up buying a $250 knife, what's the one you guys use the most in the kitchen? He's the fancy cook... I'm more of a microwave kind of guy.

question: how does your brother sharpen his knives?

I just bought a Kikuichi TKC 240.
It is one of the coolest chef knives
I've ever had (and I've had a lot).
Get the wooden Saya (sheath)
to go with it.

If you're looking for sets, the line above Wusthof is Henckels. I presonally have the Henckels 4 star line. Dropped forged integral with molded handles.

Or there are both carbon and stainless damascus custom sets available.

Larry
Tinkerer

The kikuichi TKC is a great knife. I would also throw a recommmendation to a hiromoto, thinned and etched by Dave Martell, really changed the knife from average to great.

Check out this thread for some exmples:Hiro example

Or, if you care about buying US, check out Warther. I have one of their chef knives that i have been using on a fairly regular basis.

What about getting one custom made for him? Ban Tang makes some wicked knives for the kitchen.

Other than that, Shuns and Kikuichi present very well. I've never used the Kikuichi damascus blades, but have seen a few in person and they're stunning knives.

there is a guy on the bay who is a japanese knife sharpener and he sells infrequently. his knifes (i have bought 3) are amazing for the price. look up the gyuto with the antler handle that he is selling right now

The main question here is what kind of food is he preparing? is he a professional chef? or just enjoys cooking at home?

I have been a chef for about 8 years now and i know personally size is everything. What size does he use most, 8"-12"? I know for my uses at my kitchen a 9" or 9 1/2" is best. and i also have been a huge fan of the shun ken onion series. but too many people think an expensive knife is a good knife. an average day of work for me is from 8am - 2am. and for an easy 60-70% of that time i will be slicing chopping and cutting. a comfortable knife is most important to me, then comes weight. because you have no idea how much a 2 oz. difference makes when chopping or slicing alot of product.

i might advise you to find out the favored size your brother uses, then decide what he is working with most to narrow down the blade types. then you can decide on an appropriate steel and handle shape

I recommend Buying a work of art, Yes, artistic kitchen cutlery. I make art knifes, by Etching the knifes with artwork after I make the knifes. You can hang them on the walls when not using.

I could introduce you t a few who would turn them down if you are actually interested. LOL

I don't care for them, myself.
There are a lot of options out there.
I don't know if I can mention chef knives to go, but I just did.
They are very helpful, and can help you navigate the field.
I would recommend a traditional gyuto 210mm with a hardness of about 60-62.

Back