Recommend a rugged wakizashi for a manly man

Hello, extremely masculine man here looking for a wak that fits my truly butch demeanor. Requirements:

High performance steel, not necessarily "super" but not the average high carbon
Solid handle, i.e. no ito/same/menuki, just a slab of something tough like my penis
Traditional curve, i.e. not straight (although I am completely straight, being a manly man as previously specified)
Tactical? Sure, just don't tease me for it or my rock-hard feelings might get hurt
Relatively short, i.e. bigger than an o-tanto but not just a truncated katana (I don't need much length because I am not trying to compensate for anything, ahem)
A simple, inconspicuous or nearly nonexistent tsuba, i.e. no doggone flowers or pretty pictures of a tea house, no perforations, and maybe just no tsuba at all if it's going to get in the way of my senseless brutality
Nothing extraordinarily expensive, because I need money left over for muscle reduction surgery because my doctor says I am actually too masculine to live

Edit: no black blades cuz I need to see my reflection and bask in the glory

Last edited:
I'm finishing a waki right now that has a lot of what you want and a lot of what you don't.
Mine is M4 steel, 0.240" thick at 61 hardness (Peters' Bladesports toughness protocol).
Blade is 18" and with as much curve as 2" wide stock could accommodate.
The handle core is terotuf.
All of that you want.

I also have a habaki, decorative tsuba, fuchi, kashira, ray skin, ito wrap, and menuki.
All of that you don't want.

Mine isn't for sale and I'm not offering to make one, but I just added up costs without labor to see what your ballpark would be:
(no guard or other hardware)
M4 steel, 0.240" x 2" x 24" = $120 (including shipping)
Peters' HT = $50
belts and paper = $30
canvas micarta + corby bolts = $15

That's about $215 just in parts.
I will say, out of all of my blades, choppers etc, this one really has a good feel for hacking stuff when you pick it up.

You might be able to get someone to make one for $500 - $600...
Good luck.

I would recommend a smatchet, but also, Dawson Knives, RMJ Forge, and Busse/Swamp Rat have made similar blades you might look into. Ben Tendick can make something exactly like what you're looking for, but that'll be $1,000+.

Ooh, that's pretty sweet, but I can't get down with a black blade on a sword. I know, picky picky picky

What's your budget? You can get a forged carbon one from a maker here for maybe 400 but for cpm3v add a lot

What's your budget? You can get a forged carbon one from a maker here for maybe 400 but for cpm3v add a lot
I agree that most makers will charge a lot, but the actual cost of CPM 3V for a waki is only about $100. You pay more for good menuki!

I'm looking for a production model ideally, so that I can see pics and read reviews, and to keep the cost within a limit. My budget is 300-600 but I have been known to make unwise decisions lol

Have you looked at the CPK K18? They should come out in a few months and Nathan said that a few extras might eventually be available.

Just checked those out, oh my my my what a chopperator. It's above my budget but I am keeping an eye on them anyway. I am typically opposed to double-edged weapons but those are something special.

I agree that most makers will charge a lot, but the actual cost of CPM 3V for a waki is only about $100. You pay more for good menuki!

I think the price hike is due to labor. The only knife I have made from scratch has a 5" blade of 3v and it took So. Much. Grinding!

Really, that's all it takes to remove that coating? But then I'll get banished to the hell that people who deface a Busse go to, right?
Nope, stripping and mod'ing Busse and kin is a time honored tradition :thumbsup:;)

I have yet to see anything void Busse's warranty.

what he said.

beat on the spine with a pipe wrench until it broke? covered.
stuck in a log and kicked to break off the tip? covered.
run over with lawnmower? covered.
shot with a .308? covered.
bent over your knee? covered.
use the edge to split a .45? no problem.
chop a car in half? some edge touch up.
shot with a Barret .50? OK, that one was announced in advance, didn't expect it to be covered.

How about a rodent rucki and you can just strip and polish it???? Seems like your ideal blade. Either that or pick up the new busse f16 in comp finish and be done.

Back