Recommend an adventure writer?

Geraldo, according to an email he sent me don't expect any more Dave Riley SF books from Bob Mayer anytime soon--he's done quite well with the Area 51 /Greg Donegan/Robert Doherty series etc. They're not bad but a little too spacey for me.

Tons of other great tips in this thread, but I'll especially second the Lee Child Reacher books--he's doing one a year at this rate, and the latest one is about the best yet; Andrew Vachss, who is one of the best writers in *any* genre, again about one book a year; F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series, an interesting mix of urban stuff and horror; the usual Destroyer series, which has really picked up in the latest book, and comes out maybe 3-4 times a year.

Niven's got a new Ringworld book out, and since it's not 500 pages it may be more readable than his last few outings. Neal Stephenson has been cranking the last few years and while it's dense going at times you'll be entertained while learning a lot about, well, everything from cryptography to how to split up legacy furniture.

There's a LOT of military science fiction these days if you are into that specialty. I liked the few I've read from John Ringo and am looking forward to getting into the David Drake ouevre one of these days, but still no one touches "Starship Troopers":)

Boston T. Party has a novel out, "Molon Labe", that's reminiscent of "Unintended Consequences" in that it's full of gun lore and a very sweeping plotline/timeline.

I'm also looking forward to reading some of Ted Bell, who has two action/adventure novels out. Phil mentioned the John Rain books by Eisler, who is a black belt judoka. One came out recently and it's not great but would be a very solid read, worthy of buying in hardcover.

Greg Rucka has a three or four book series about a personal protector--ok, ok, a BODYGUARD--named Atticus Kodiak. Good stuff, and he pays attention to his weaponry, mostly.

Baldacci is a big name now but I was disappointed by "Last Man Standing", a book about a member of the FBI HRT--too many silly errors and unbelievable scenarios but I'd take a try at another one of his. Same with Vince Flynn; the recent "Memorial Day" had one great idea and a very unsympathetic main character and not much else, but I'll try another one. They're both fast reads.

David Morrell was at the Blade show in 2003, and he writes stuff that is bound to interest forumites, too, although I'd like to see him get back to the world of some of his earlier semi-connected shadows and fog books!

Lastly, news is that there should be a new Marcinko book some time in 2005, and here's one to look forward to: Robert Baer, the ex-CIA man who wrote two great non fiction books like "See No Evil", is contracted to do some fiction. It worked for Andy McNabb and Marcinko, so maybe we'll get lucky again:)

Wilbur Smith is great for killing time.

Personal favs are

Eye of the Tiger (1st person, excellent read)
A Time to Die (Sean Courtney character)

As the Otter mentioned

Stephen Hunter and ANY of the Bob the Nailer books

Dick Francis are a good read and easy on the brain :D

Robert B Parker (Boston Detective)
Dennis Lehane (Like RB Parkers character but more realistic)
Robert Crais (ANY of the Elvis Cole novels, you gotta love his side kick Pike :D ) Get the first one first 'The Monkeys Raincoat' set in L.A

wOW~wOW, LOTS OF GREAT RECOMMENDATIONS HERE. aNOTHER i WOULD OFFER IS gAYLE rIVERS, HE WROTE fIVE fINGERS AND SOME OTHERS IN THE SPECOPS/MILITARY GENRE. rOBERT K tANENBAUM FOR CRIME FICTION. l'AMOUR'S LAST OF THE BREED IS ALSO VERY GOOD for traditional adventure. Victor O'Reilly has written three books about an Irish anti terrorist alla James Bond, they are lots of fun and heavy on the weapons.

I also recommend any of the Lee Child books, but I particularly liked "Killing Floor" and "Persuader"

If you've never read any Stephen Hunter, you really should check him out. Point of Impact is one of the best action/adventure novels I've ever read. Just couldn't put that one down.

If you want mystery/crime, check out any of the Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais.

sweet said:
My favorite....http://www.davidmorrell.net/
Excellent stuff :eek:
He, he, there's where I found out who made Rambo's knives ;)

Greetings fellow bookworm(s) :)
One of my very favorites is Eric Van Lustbader. Even better than Tom Clancy (which I love a lot). Try his Nicholas Linnear's series ("Ninja", "White Ninja", "Miko" and I heard there are others, but didn't get to them) :(, they are really enjoyable. :D

Oh, and if you want to have fun, try Terry Pratchett :D

WOW! Thanks for the responses, forgot that yes I have read 3 or 4 of Hunter's books, and they were very good. The only thing I don't like is that they are so interconnected you kind of hafta read them in order. I guess Clancy and Ludlum and all the series with character continuity are like that, but I sometimes like a book that stands on it's own without needing a history lesson from 5 previous works.

The Clive Cussler novels, the Dirk Pitt series, all stand alone well enough. Cussler tends to explain and re-explain the main characters' traits in each book, which only gets 'slightly' old after a while. Still a worthwhile read.

Nelson DeMille writes a good novel, Van Lustbaden wrote some quality books early, and Tim Winton for a bit of Australiana.

Back