Recommend me: A good VG10 carver's knife

The topic says it all. Too many choices and too many experts so I can't figure it out. I'm looking to spend between 100 and 250ish USD. Recommend me something that doesn't have some damascus gimmick.

Why? Are you a Pro Chef? Home use? Carvers in the home are not used that much and a Victonox is fine!... if you want a kick but carving set mine are $500.00 9 3/4" carver & Fork, I use 440C Rc 60 ... tell use more of your uses and I can give more suggestions.,

I cut meat. I use the carver in the set more than anything (but the steak knives). The set is Wusthof in some CrMov variant my dad bought a decade ago. He never was smart with these things but I just want a big hunk of VG10.

Tojiro DP 240mm ($95-ish) or 270mm ($120-ish) sujihiki meet your stated requirements. They are made from VG10, though they are a san mai construction. No damascus design on the cladding layers, though.

Thanks, these look like what I'm looking for. Again if I was just to search "VG-10 Carver Knife" I would get endless brands and makes. When amazon starts to work again I'll peruse there unless you know a less expensive site.

Tojiro DP as a brand is rather widely recommended for entry-level "good value" in Japanese knives, and since you specified VG-10, then you need look no further.

I think the pricing on most large Internet retailers is going to be about the same on those knives. You can shop around for someone having a sale or free shipping or something to save a few bucks.

We are limited to recommending only vendors who are (paid) supporting member dealers of the forum here. I haven't really shopped for kitchen knives through those dealers, so I can't help with specific "where to buy" suggestions.

Why VG-10? There are custom makers on here who will make a better knife with better materials than VG-10.

This may be what you are looking for, price is reasonable
KASUMI VG-10 PRO 56024, 9.5 INCH SLICER (SUJIHIKI)

BIG TEXT
The Kasumi is far more interesting so for $20 more I would probably get that. I have read to jump straight to Global as the Chroma 18 is good, but I do not want to have to do extra steps when it comes to sharpening because it has vanadium in it. Thanks again, and I'll tell you what I got pretty soon I gather...but if a spyderfly comes up on the exchange forget about that.

Last edited:
In the top end of your price range is the Hattori "forum knife" suji. I had a 270mm and can say that those guys do a really nice job with VG10. Some others maybe not so much from what I have read and heard.

If you're using that all day I'd say the size and shape of the handle will be very important ! There are lots of knives that one look will tell me that it would be poor for me as a pro use knife ! Blade shape is another consideration. VG-10 is very similar to N690 as my own use of the two has shown me .154cm should also be close .These three are about the best until you go to a powder steel .

I found out Spyderco started making cook knives in VG10 this year and got one. Couldn't be happier and I use the sharp maker and a strop to get it back in to shape just like the rest of my knives. Yeah it's been 9 days but I figure I'd just update.

Always nice to hear back from someone who was asking for advice what their final decision was. Spyderco makes a good product. I am not familiar with their kitchen knives but I am sure the quality and value carries over into that line as well.

So did you get the K11 5.8" Cook's Knife? Seems a little short for a carving knife - more of a petty/utility knife size. Nothing wrong with that - we use 6-7" knives more often in our home kitchen than we do the longer chef's knives. But usually a "carving" knife is for slicing meat off of larger cuts of meat like a roast or a turkey.

Yes it was the K11P and indeed it is small. I'm use to using a set of cheap wusthoffs and the K11P is comparable to the smaller of the two carver knives in that set but it works well enough. Yeah and I use the term "carver" because that's what they're called in the set, but as you said the larger one isn't ideal unless you're cutting a big slab o' meat which I rarely (if ever anymore) do.

Back