Recommend me an EDC food knife

My serrated spyderco salt 2 is the best steak knife I've ever used.

It cut my sister's pot roast a few Christmas' ago.

I've used it to cut limes for guacamole 🥑 and don't have to think about cleaning it anytime soon.

Even though it's a folder, the whole thing gets soap and water and a pat dry and back in the waistband.

If you wanted a fixed blast, one of the salt series in serrated H1 would be awesome.

I have a falkniven wm1 that I bought but didn't realise it was as small as it was. And so I don't use it that much.

But I have taken it to work and used it as a food knife. And it works fine.

And it is stainless. And it has a simple untextured handle and a plastic sheath that would wash out.

And in this case the size would work in its favour. Because it doesn't alarm anyone. It just depends what you are cutting.

A 3 inch knife won't really handle a pinaple or a big crusty loaf of bread.(the picknicker did though) but it will handle reasonable sized food for one person.

I ate a mango with it. And it cleaned up fine afterwards.

Pottos potahos . . . .

I would note that food preparation tasks are not restricted to slicing. The OP's use of the term, "EDC" implies that this will be the only knife available for food prep at times.

In the end, it is just not that big a deal. The OP's EDC will probably change over time. Eventuslly he will find something that works for him.

8841-clip_image002.jpg
Victorinox paring knife. Cheap and many folks make kydex rigs. Not my pic.

I like the Swiss army picnickers. The knife is pretty big. The stainless steel is very stainless and as a whole it cleans up really well after getting food gunk.

Plus bottle opener and can opener.

Otherwise I use a Mora 2000 as my food knife. Again stainless easy to clean and quite thin and slicey. Although I would probably recommend the kransbol as it looks a bit nicer.

By the way. Two things I forgot about the kansbol. The blade is polished. Which I think food doesn't stick to as much. And it isn't full tang. So it will rest on a plate better. (Which if you are trying to manage food prep off your lap is really important.)

It’s still interesting to hear about other recommendations. I’m thinking about two other ones based on the recommendations on this thread. You can never have enough knives. Addicting, addicting hobby
Don't limit yourself by wanting Just stainless...
You really are limiting yourself, and stainless is generally un-needed, and often overrated.

This is My beater EDC made of HSS, and osage
It's a full, 4 finger grip (important) very comfortable.

I LOVE the coloring I get from use.

Best I can recommend for the purpose is the A.G. Russell Woodswalker, but I don't like folders for eating duty unless I've no other choice.

There are a ton of fixed blades that would do a good job. It mostly comes down to the size of knife you need for cutting food. Any skinning knife would be ideal for most jobs (Benchmade Hunt Saddle Mountain Skinner, Benchmade Altitude, Joker Nessmuk F, or Buck Kalinga) or general purpose flat/hollow grinds that don't have a thick blade, unless you're planning to baton your lunch (Grohmann No.1, Casstrom Safari, Morakniv Kansbol, or Buck 0119 Special).

52200854276_ff193dd3f8_b.jpg

RADA still makes great paring knives.
I’ve got a CRKT Biwa I really like as well.
B8C6553C-96A1-4374-A21C-B33AEEC205D5.jpeg
54CD6C2C-0467-42DA-A6B5-B499067FBF7D.jpeg
Rada are @10 each

Back