Recommendation for a good heavy set of throwing knives

Bounty1

Gold Member
Hello all, I have been throwing knives for many years and have been through dozens of cold steel knives, several professional spring steel knives and more than I dare to count cheaper ones. I am looking for a really good quality set, preferably spring steel...mainly because knives I have owned in the past that were made out of spring seemed to last a lot longer. Any advice will be much appreciated, thank you in advance!

Just to add, looking for 12 inches or longer in length.

Wouldn't throwing heavy knives will ruin the target and accuracy for throwing normal knives? Just saying.

Wouldn't throwing heavy knives will ruin the target and accuracy for throwing normal knives? Just saying.

Meh. If you intend on throwing any knife, you need to practice with that knife. Heavier and longer knives are better throwers. Especially for repeatability.

With a few exceptions for really over built knives that have super warranties (like Busse) I dont tend to throw non throwers. (Again, a few exceptions).

I have an 18 inch bayonet that I've thrown for decades , that I've not managed to break, but most non throwers will break realatively quickly against wood throwing targets (smaller, lighter knives... daggers, etc, etc)

It depends on your throwing style. I have a wall full of throwers, mostly balanced for spin throwing. I don't use any of them any more, since I throw no spin and decided to make my own to match my style. I agree that a heavy knife is better than a light one as far as being forgiving of bad throws. The heaviest knife we ever made was an offset, 310 grams, 10.5". It really ate up targets--penetrated to deep. Now, the range of knife weight that I use is between 250 (light) and 305 (heavy) grams. That's just me and I'm still learning, like most of us!
As far as length, my favorite design is 9" long. Unfortunately, it is not IKTHOF compliant for no spin! So now, I just make all of mine to be around 10.5" with a BP of 39% and a minimum of 25 grams/inch to avoid loud ringing when I occasionally (less often these days) slap the target sideways. There are many good knives for spin, but not too many balanced for no spin. If you're really good, it doesn't matter. For the rest of us . . .
So, back to my two cents worth: it depends on your throwing style, also your level of experience in throwing. Make your own, if you can! If you can't, there's some pretty good advice in this forum.

Back