Recommendation, mini barrage vs mini (edit) presidio 2 axis

I am looking for a backup to my lefty inkosi. I want a knife that I don’t have to worry about losing and something slightly heavier duty.

The two I am looking at are the presidio 2 axis and the mini barrage with s30v.

A third option would be the mini grip with awt hive scales. I know the hive scales are heavier, but I’m not sure if it fills out the hand more than the regular g10 scales which I find too small.

Thanks!

The Presidio II is HUGE in comparison to a mini barrage. Do you mean the mini?

The Presidio II is HUGE in comparison to a mini barrage. Do you mean the mini?

+1, the mini Presidio is a good size. It's more of a "medium" size, in between the mini and large Grip.

Dont have the barrage, but the mini presidio2 is perfect in my hand, like a glove. Really love the knife, with only 2 minor complaints:
1) The wedge (not sure im using a proper word here :)) on the spine goes too far & makes it too thin, digging into the finger when reaching far on the blade.
2) Pointy butt end digs into thumb in reverse grip

Dont have the barrage, but the mini presidio2 is perfect in my hand, like a glove. Really love the knife, with only 2 minor complaints:
1) The wedge (not sure im using a proper word here :)) on the spine goes too far & makes it too thin, digging into the finger when reaching far on the blade.
2) Pointy butt end digs into thumb in reverse grip

Thanks for the input. I can imagine that the swedge would start to irritate your thumb after using it for a while. It looks like it goes down the majority of the blade. I wish it stopped closer to the tip of the blade!!

Yeah dont get me wrong mini pres is a great little knife. Things i mentioned are minor imho.

Might also look at mini loco. Depends of how it fits your hand.

Mini-grip is actually quite a bit smaller than the mini-presidio II. The full-size grip actually compares closer to the mini-presidio, so if you're going for that size range, I'd skip the mini-grip, personally.

The mini-presidio II is one of my favorites as far as axis flipping goes. Of course, each one will vary, but I almost always have to tear-down, polish washers, oil and reassemble myself to get it there.

Also, keep in mind the Barrage is assisted opening (which can be removed). I don't have a mini-barrage, but do have 3 full-size ones that I quite like, especially my custom one in 20CV / G10 / de-assisted (also flips great). The standard handles on the Barrage, being that hollow-molded FRN or whatever, just doesn't feel good to me when flipping de-assisted, but that's just a personal opinion.

So, anyway, of the choices you listed, I would say mini-presidio II UNLESS you were going to go custom shop mini-barrage with the G10 and your choice of steel, then de-assist (IMO).

I'm a fan of the Presidio but have never had the Mini. For me two variables should be considered when looking at deciding between these two.

1. Handle Material - do you prefer G10 to aluminum or vice versa?
2. Assist - are you cool with an assisted knife?

Everything else is pretty similar.

Thanks for all the input. I have toyed around with the custom shop and I like the mini barrage w/blue G10 grips and black blade! Is the de assist something benchmade will do for you or something that can be done easily on your own?

I have heard they will do it for you, but it is also doable on your own. Get a nice little Torx bit set (T6, T10 on that one, I believe) and check a YouTube video for reference - I know there's a few. It's way easier to de-assist then re-assist hehe.

G10 gives the handles a nice solid feel.

De-assisting is fairly easy, re-assisting - not so much. It's doable, but make sure the wife and kids aren't around as you WILL swear.

Back